GM Volt Forum banner

Sold my 2014 ELR, going back to Acura

19K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  Miredian 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, finally sold my ELR - took me a year at cars.com. Bought it for 50k in Feb of 2015, sold today for 31.5k. Minus CO and Federal state tax incentives - ended up at less than $200 a month for little over 25 months, almost 24k miles. Overall very cheap way to pay for my middle life crisis :cool:, and to drive the best looking car on the road:D.
Cady - if you are listening - not buying another GM anytime soon - going back to my lovely Acura again. Feel like my complains about not working automatic windshield wiper and loose driver seat were simply ignored - even after getting BBB involved. Never had that happened to me at any other dealerships - the mechanic would look you in the eyes and mumble -"its working the way its supposed to" - end of the conversation. Still pissed about it. Flat tire assistant program is also not functional. Not the way to treat the guy with deep pockets.
Overal - era of Volt is over - Bolt and hopefully Model 3 and new generation Lelaf is the game changer.
For all of you current Volt and ELR owners - I think its time to move on to something better. I will. :p

#2 ·
Sounds like an issue with the dealer. However, the owner experience is a combination of the car and the servicing dealer. As we know, a dealer can make or break the ownership experience, especially if there aren't others to choose from. Sorry you had a bad one.

#7 ·
There's a note in the edit on your first post, steverino did it. As for bad dealership experiences, the place where I bought my volt told me to pound sand when I pointed out to them that one of my tires can different from the other 3. Also, when they were fixing a Bluetooth issue with a software update, the brainiac mechanic thought they needed to drive the car for 10 miles to test it (i suspect they were joy riding, though they claimed they wanted to make sure it wasn't within wifi range, which makes absolutely no sense). I've since been brining my volt to another dealership 18 miles away. Maybe going to a different caddy dealership would have help.

I have to say, I envy you. I have always wanted an ELR, the $75K MSRP caused me to abandon hope and buy the Volt right after the pricing announcement. I should have known that prices would drop dramatically.

#10 ·
I disagree - pure electrical is so much better concept. And look - all these new cars with 200 + miles range coming out. Cant wait. I need to make it to my condo in the mountains - uphill 90 miles from my house - would not try anything with less than 200 miles - and options should be available comes fall. Hoping for Bolt AWD (but GM again - might have to walk away) or Jaguar. Here in CO I think 6k state plus 7.5k federal tax incentives - definitely help with resale.

#14 · (Edited)
Honda (aka Acura) makes some good cars, and some with AWD also. They just don't engineer electric cars that aren't steaming piles of dung. They had to hire General Motors to get their Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car to work.

If it doesn't have spark plugs, Honda is in WAY over their heads. I mean, does Honda even make anything at any price with as sophisticated of a driveline as an ELR? Or even a 2011 Volt? Not yet my friend, not yet.

PS - You can get a smoking deal on a 24m used Fit EV Lease. But you cannot buy them. They are going to be crushed when you turn it in when the lease expires, but they won't make a movie out of it.

#11 ·
My Cadillac dealer service is the best I ever had from any dealer, at Gold Coast Cadillac in NJ.

And I know enough about the business to know that there are 2 sides to every warranty story. Your story doesn't quite add up to me, but I suppose there are some bad dealers out there still. You didn't mention the outcome of your "BBB case", but I imagine you didn't prevail based on the fact you worked for a year to sell the car yourself, Mr. "deep pockets".

I had an Acura 20 years ago. The service was pretty good, but the prices were borderline outrageous, especially scheduled maintenance. People would just suck it up, because they believe the whole Japanese ethos as knowing best. When a domestic dealer tries to get people to maintain their cars, they often take the attitude that it's a rip off.

#13 ·
Your story doesn't quite add up to me, but I suppose there are some bad dealers out there still. You didn't mention the outcome of your "BBB case", but I imagine you didn't prevail based on the fact you worked for a year to sell the car yourself, Mr. "deep pockets".
You can read my previous posts if you want to. But basically, they made me bring my Cady back to dealership and tested it in front of me with the garden hose blasting water on the windshield - and or Miracle! - it did activate the wipers. The fact that we almost never have this kind of rains in CO and my video with the windshield covered by droplets of water which failed to activate their sensor - unadmissable. As far as a loose seat - I guess they didn't have big enough mechanics to test it. Their solution was - take it to another dealer. But I just don't have time to waste. By that time I knew it wasn't a car for me, and I just simply put it on cars.com.
Now, Mercedes dealer would come pick the car up and drop it at my work - no charge. Yep, their service is outragesly expensive - but you don't have to service it there, and warranty is FREE and wipers do activate )
Now, as far as big pockets - we are on the ELR forum - lets face it - most of the guys here would meet the definition. Do you have a problem with it? And for starters - MB isn't that much more expensive to buy.

#15 ·
Thank you for reminding me how awesome ELR is in comparison to my Acura - you can keep it)). But I still full heartedly believe that it's obsolete bridge technology that will be going away with the advancement in batteries. It definitely is better than the Leaf I leased before, but something tells me that even 2nd generation Leaf would be a far more superior car for me simply because I don't really need more than 200 miles range. And why would I want to cary ICE in my car all the time? Just for looks? It sure does perform very poorly to say the least.
Just my opinion - don't have to prove me wrong ))
I missed the look of the car, but glad it's not in my garage any longer.

#17 ·
What I find most impressive about Acura is they are now only 8 years behind Chevrolet with the NSX vs the ZR1. Sure the NSX might be 500lb heavier and $50k more, but it's almost as good of a sports car today. They should be proud.

#18 ·
Dealers can be a trip because they are so variable. I know this from personal experience. With Acura. I had a great Acura dealer north and the world's worst to the south. That might not be surprising given how these things go, but THE TWO DEALERS HAD THE SAME OWNER. It was just insane.

Same experience with Chevy and Cadillac. You get a larger than expected or desired variance in quality.

#21 ·
Just so I get a picture of this, from the UK perspective, how do you go from $750pm to $200pm by tax incentives?
I paid 50k for the car - minus 13.5k in tax incentives - effectively my price was 36.5k. Sold it for 31.5 25 months later - loss of 5k. Divide 5k by 25 -$200 a month, and it was little over than 25 months - so technically less than $200.

Now - I think it was 6k in CO in 2015 - don't remember for sure, but those incentives sure helped.

#23 · (Edited)
I sure miss the Illinois incentives that got me close to an additiona $4k off my volt. Colorado's is some funky math formula based on battery capacity but having a cap at $6k -- how sweet.

Details can be found here. https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Income67.pdf

So the effective price of the original ELR would have been a no-brainer for me, but I would have probably kept it. She is so smoking hot I'd overlook a few warts under that gorgeous dress.

#22 · (Edited)
My dealer is better than most. They have room for improvement with the drop-off pick-up process, but, the technicians are top tier. Most of the issues I have had are parts availability. It is a limited run car, so, I expect that.

My ELR is the absolute best car I have ever owned or driven. The wipers work too.

#24 ·
Still pissed about it. Flat tire assistant program is also not functional. Not the way to treat the guy with deep pockets.
Overal - era of Volt is over - Bolt and hopefully Model 3 and new generation Lelaf is the game changer.
For all of you current Volt and ELR owners - I think its time to move on to something better. I will. :p
You may be pissed. Sorry to hear about that. However, there are plenty of happy owners out here who love our cars and have had excellent service from our dealers. You enjoy your new toy from the Japanese industrial complex, I will keep my Volt thank you very much.

#25 · (Edited)
You may be pissed. Sorry to hear about that. However, there are plenty of happy owners out here who love our cars and have had excellent service from our dealers. You enjoy your new toy from the Japanese industrial complex, I will keep my Volt thank you very much.
Dont get me wrong - I am not pissed at all (not on the car anyway). I got to drive awesome looking car (inside and out - in my book The Best Looking Car on the road now) for 2 years and trully enjoyed it 90% of a time. Dealership sucked - so what - just another business I am not satisfy with. Needed to drive something reasonable while waiting for a better fully electric car (would never justify driving 100+ k car). Now time had arrived - those new cars with much better electrical range will draw the resale values of the Volts/ELR's down in my opinion and I just happy to get out of that wagon early enough. I might be wrong of course - but maybe not - in anyway - don't kill the messenger!
The reason for the post is simply to finish the chapter of my ELR forum life - that forum obviously needs more posts anyway )

And who knows - I might continue posting - this time on Bolt AWD forum for the years to come )

#33 ·
So you got rid of it because you can't turn on your own windshield wipers?

I'm with you though. I won't be buying another GM, this time for sure. They prove to me time and time again they don't care about their customers once they have their money from the initial sale. Japanese cars are the way to go. I'd take a import with no warranty over a GM with a "10 year warranty"

#37 ·
Sorry you had a bad dealership experience. But one bad report will not change my mind about my Volt. I LOVE it. All cars have issues. It is the dealership that makes or breaks the relationship.

#38 ·
Its a great car while driving electric - not much so on gas. On that note - drove my gas guzzler to work today - its just sucks to drive( Its really is difficult to go back to drive ICE. Hopefully can get model 3 or Bolt with AWD sometime soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.