What good do you get out of Onstar and what in the hell is that carpet in the trunk?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What good do you get out of Onstar and what in the hell is that carpet in the trunk?

Default What good do you get out of Onstar and what in the hell is that carpet in the trunk?

First things first, what use have any of you made of Onstar? Do you end up talking to a person each time? Other than, oh no I have a flat... Does anyone buy data plans for their car?

So about that carpet/etc in the trunk. What evil is this? Cargo Organizer Blocks are what I have used in my previous cars and I brought them along to my Volt.

OH
    MY
    GOD

I swear they felt as if they had welded themselves to the carpet. I actually had to fight them to get them off. So I guess Velcro type fasteners and that carpet material are not a good combo. On the good side ain't anything held between those blocks going to move unless I have a rollover.

Funny you should mention rollovers. If you are in a bad accident and have knocked yourself unconscious, an active onStar account will probably save your life. Having just driven back from Florida, I can safely say that onStar only needs to be needed once to be worth it.

If your car throws an alert at you, like "shift to park" then the Onstar personnel can have a diagnostic and provide you with some info (code # and generic description of issue). They're some forum members that have use this service to determine if they needed to go to dealer ASAP or whether the car was safe to drive and could wait a day or two before be taken to dealer.

Hasn't t happened to me but if i was on my drive to work and i got an alert/message on the DIC, I'd call Onstar to see how serious the issue was.
    Hidden Content - BLK interior - Driver 1& 2 confidence pkg - Hidden Content
    L2 Charger - Hidden Content - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

I have used OnStar for Codes and with the OnStar RemoteLink App.
    ***2013 Black Volt***

so basically once outside of three months you are on your own to call the dealer when you car pukes. good one GM.

think I will just replace that button with a garage door opener

When my free OnStar trial was up, I paid for the protection plan; mainly for the crash response.

I have an AT&T account for my iPad and it was easy to add the Volt as an additional device.
    1973 VW Thing "Pumpkin"
    2015 Ford Escape "The Company Car"
    2017 Volt (Premier Pearl Confidence Packages I and II) "Vera"

I've been in a bad accident, so yes the crash response is well worth it when a fast response determines whether you live or die. I also like the notifications when the alarm goes off or charging is interrupted. I also use heavily the remote start and status, monthly reports for electric usage, and WIFI for weak areas. The vehicle recovery also reduces my auto insurance.

This said to each his/her own. You can decide whether it's worth it for you to keep it or not. Personally I'm happy the options are there.
    2017 Chevy Volt Premier: (Iridescent Pearl, Safety 1 & 2, ACC, Nav, Ambient Lighting.) "SpaceShip2" on VoltStats
    2014 Chevy Volt Premium with Safety 1, leather, & polished wheels (Returned to Ally)

I love OnStar and won't buy a vehicle without similar capabilities.

1) I do not play with cellphones while driving. OnStar has a built in hands-free phone. No junk calls. Nobody has EVER asked me over the OnStar Phone, 'are you busy', or 'what are you doing'. If you have my car number, you know I'm driving, so it better be important, and brief.
    2) I like talking to a human to get directions. Especially when I'm not sure what city or the spelling of the destination.
    3) I can track my kids in their OnStar cars.
    4) I can check status on tire pressure, gas level, charge, etc, of our OnStar vehicles. Even when one of them is 180 miles away. She has 41-42psi in her tires, she apparently refuses to charge the car, she has 1/2 a tank, 22,103 miles on the car, oil life is 85%, and it's at her dorm.
    5) CEL codes to see if it's important, and allows you to join Voltstats.net.

6) And the function nobody wants to use. Emergency help with geolocation, even if you are unconscious.
    Ménage à trois - 2017, 2016 and 2013 Volts.
    Tesla Model 3 Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by Geohec View Post
    If your car throws an alert at you, like "shift to park" then the Onstar personnel can have a diagnostic and provide you with some info (code # and generic description of issue). They're some forum members that have use this service to determine if they needed to go to dealer ASAP or whether the car was safe to drive and could wait a day or two before be taken to dealer.

Hasn't t happened to me but if i was on my drive to work and i got an alert/message on the DIC, I'd call Onstar to see how serious the issue was.
    Actually this happened to me and I've seen two others report the same...When "shift to park" was displayed, OnStar could not communicate with the car...They did offer to call a tow truck for me, yet the process wasn't any simpler than calling roadside assistance...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

Advertisement

I have the free basic connection plan. Higher level plans offer features that I consider mostly redundant with my cell phone. I am not the kind of person that would prefer to talk to an operator for directions, reservations or a tow. I can and would generally prefer to do that myself with a nav app or Siri or whatever.

On the other hand, I can't deny that the automated crash response is a unique and desirable service. It is not enough to tip the scale for me, though. Maybe I am too optimistic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text