2017 Cruise Control / Brake pedal issue
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Cruise Control / Brake pedal issue

Default 2017 Cruise Control / Brake pedal issue

Could anyone with a 2017 Volt LT run a simple test for me? My car has been in the shop non-stop thanks to a braking issue. The car was returned to me today, only to be taken back immediately. When I first put on the cruise control at 65 mph it worked, i tapped the brake for incoming traffic, and when I hit set again it wouldn't turn back on. I waited until no one was behind me and hit the brake harder than usual, then hit set and suddenly it worked again. I repeated all these steps 3 times on the way back to the dealership, all results the same.

Does anyone else's Volt do this? Oh, when its in the "won't set the cruise control mode" it takes more gas to get it moving and it slows down faster anytime I let off the gas. All driving was done in D. Thanks in advance.

To turn the cruise back on, are you hitting SET or RESUME? If you hit SET, you will be setting the speed at your current speed which, if you slowed down, will seem like it isn't set, because it is now set at the speed you slowed down to.....

Sounds like user error

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

N8XWB, turboguy327 - Ouch, crazy to assume someone doesn't know how to work cruise control.

No this is not user error. Whether you hit resume or set, it will not do it. It has been to the dealership 4 times now for this issue. They say that my car has a unique issue, I decided to ask you guys simply because I didn't know if this is something that these cars do and maybe neither myself or technicians working on it know about it because these cars are different. If you hold the brake pedal up the cruise control will set and stay on up until the moment you lower your foot.
    Last edited by Joiner; 03-10-2017 at 10:32 PM.

So basically it sounds like the brake pedal isn't fully returning to the upper most rest position, most notably when lightly tapping the brake pedal as if the return spring is weak and the weight of the pedal itself is enough to keep it depressed just enough to make the vehicle think brakes are applied. I'm not sure if manufacturers still utilize a brake pedal return spring but a spring, or a maladjusted brake switch would be my initial thoughts.

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by freshcut View Post
    So basically it sounds like the brake pedal isn't fully returning to the upper most rest position, most notably when lightly tapping the brake pedal as if the return spring is weak and the weight of the pedal itself is enough to keep it depressed just enough to make the vehicle think brakes are applied. I'm not sure if manufacturers still utilize a brake pedal return spring but a spring, or a maladjusted brake switch would be my initial thoughts.
    It might be interesting if you could get a friend to follow you with a cellphone (both on bluetooth) and let you know what your brake lights are doing. If you had a gen1 with the lower rear window, I'd use the tape and aluminum foil trick to be able to see a reflection of your brake lights in the rear view mirror. The other thing is maybe you have a sticking caliper so the car thinks you are still hitting the brakes. Whatever the case, it sounds repeatable and the dealer service department should be able to diagnose this unless they are total idiots. The dealership closest to my house once drove my car 10 miles to test a Bluetooth problem citing they wanted to get the phone away from wifi to make sure that wasn't interfereing. I pointed out that they could have just left the car in their shop and turned off the wifi on the phone. Ii think they just went on a joy ride at my expense and were too stupid to try to cover it up by charging the car. Alas there's no hiding from the onstar app. With an ice vehicle I probably wouldn't have noticed 10 miles missing. I now go to a dealership 18 miles away for service instead of 3 miles away. Plus the new service manager Paula is much more easy on the eyes than Michael was.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

I agree with freshcut. Observe your brake lights. This should be fairly easy with the high-mount stop light. Or for starters, back up to a window or reflective wall and see if they stay on until you lift up on the pedal. Sounds like a mis-adjusted switch.
    2013 White Diamond, "Hal" Black leather w/white accents, Bose

They have replaced the switch 2 times and also a wire connecting to the ecm. Since it has still been doing it, even after all of that, I figured I'd ask you guys if it was somehow normal operation because of the regen braking system and maybe it was possible that the dealership and I just didn't know about it because it isn't you common car. If that somehow was the case, I didn't want to waste both theirs and my time.

From your guys responses this obviously is not normal. The car will just have to keep going back until its fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joiner View Post
    They have replaced the switch 2 times and also a wire connecting to the ecm. Since it has still been doing it, even after all of that, I figured I'd ask you guys if it was somehow normal operation because of the regen braking system and maybe it was possible that the dealership and I just didn't know about it because it isn't you common car. If that somehow was the case, I didn't want to waste both theirs and my time.

From your guys responses this obviously is not normal. The car will just have to keep going back until its fixed.
    Do you have any floor mats, including the original ones that came with the car?
    2016 Kinetic Blue LT

Unscheduled service visits: 4 Hidden Content
    Longest service visit: 2.5 weeks

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanox View Post
    Do you have any floor mats, including the original ones that came with the car?
    Just the original mats, haven't had the car in my possession long enough to add or do anything to it lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text