Bulletin PIP5201 Cold Start Misfires MIL P0300 P030x
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bulletin PIP5201 Cold Start Misfires MIL P0300 P030x

Took it to the dealer since I was still under the 5yr/100k mile powertain warranty. Dealer said there's a memo out that this code with these symptoms on 2012 Volts means the cylinder head needs replaced, so they're doing so. Part should be in tomorrow. I wonder if they fixed whatever caused this to happen in the first place. If not, might be selling this. No way I want to have to pay for this again out of pocket! Probably not a cheap or easy fix.

Ask for the service bulletin number. Head replacement is very extreme for a cylinder misfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dennis

2013 VOLT (Premier) Diamond White w/ Polished wheels (Loaded), Diode Dynamic HID 6K Headlights and PLUGLESS L2 charger (purchased before Price hike)
    2005 PRIUS (Base) Salsa Red 240K mi. and climbing
    1981 DELOREAN DMC-12 2nd owner 23 yrs and climbing

The service bulletin is PIP5201A. Got it back. $2,300 repair - done just under warranty! Dodged that bullet!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

I'd like to know what makes this a 2012 Volt specific issue? Did the they change the head design for 2013 model years. I found the service letter but could not access the full document without paying a $5 one time fee for that info. The title was " Cold start misfires MIL P0300". (Jan-25-2017)

Dennis

2013 VOLT (Premier) Diamond White w/ Polished wheels (Loaded), Diode Dynamic HID 6K Headlights and PLUGLESS L2 charger (purchased before Price hike)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I'd like to know what makes this a 2012 Volt specific issue? Did the they change the head design for 2013 model years. I found the service letter but could not access the full document without paying a $5 one time fee for that info. The title was " Cold start misfires MIL P0300". (Jan-25-2017)
    I'll buy it and post it so we can all see what it has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jvidamins View Post
    I'll buy it and post it so we can all see what it has to say.
    Nothing in the head was redesigned as far as I am aware (and nothing stated to that within the bulletin)

In fact, the preliminary bulletin is comprehensive in it's directions to inspect NUMEROUS potential causes for a "cold start misfire" including ignition and fuel system checks.

Instructions to perform "top end" cleaning is an item mentioned specifically deeper into the document, and if unable to alleviate the misfire after doing so (and all previously listed diagnostic checks) the head it to be replaced and the customer advised to use ONLY TOP TIER FUELS (specifically formulated to help keep injectors and top-ends free of carbon deposits)

Again, no head redesign or anything and AFAIK it's the same part number. But I too am curious as to what makes this specific to the 2012 models (but will try to find out)

WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 03-30-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

Default Bulletin PIP5201 Cold Start Misfires MIL P0300 P030x

This is a good tutorial on what I think was going on with OP problem and ties into what WOT was explaining.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/intake...di_engines.htm

The very first sentence in the last paragraph of the article is what I think happened here. Prompted by the fact it was still under "Warranty"

Last edited by DMC5180; 03-30-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    Dennis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text