I is discustipated
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I is discustipated

Quote Originally Posted by Sisters Of Mercy View Post
    They explained that from November to April, they charge 9 cents per kWh. May to October, it's 9 cents the first 400Kw's, then 14 cents until you go above 2200 kWh. Then they charge 16 cents. Above 3000kWh, they charge 17 cents per kWh.
    Oh, tiers and fully-kWh-based pricing. Really a horrible way of pricing it, but I'm sure they like it. When you price using an average based on typical behavior you reduce the incentive to reduce the really high-cost behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    Sadly where I live, if I generate power, they won't pay me for it. The best I can hope for is net metering where I need to use as much as I make in a year (april to april) or it becomes a gift to the power company. Plus, they are government to get out of the net metering laws so they can screw solar panel array owners.
    I still don't understand this mindset one tiny little bit. If I drill a water well in my back yard, I don't get to sell my excess water production to the water company. If I'm growing a garden, I'm not selling my extra tomatoes to Del Monte. If I'm making bio diesel, I don't have Exxon sending me a check for X number of gallons every month.

So why is electric different?

If these companies are so evil, install your own battery bank and go 100% off grid. Of course, this is rhetorical, as I already know the answer there - it's too expensive, and you'll never have a positive ROI on that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit80 View Post

Because it is a government granted monopoly in most jurisdictions. Net metering solar saves everyone fuel costs and infrastructure costs.

Granted, I do agree that the ROI is not there without subsidies. But please tell me what industry doesn't have subsidies these days?
    2013 Volt SR72 Blackbird Hidden Content
    2013 Volt RedRooster Hidden Content
    Our Power Source: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

We're blessed to be served by a consumer-owned rural electric cooperative with net metering, and the base charge for their hookup is $25.00 plus $.44 tax. The energy charge is a flat $0.1045 per kWh. Last year's net consumption was 3958 kWh, and an energy charge of $413.61. Our home and several outbuildings are all-electric, and, of course, we "fuel" the Volt from the sun!

I spent most of my professional life as a corporate electric utility attorney and CEO, fighting "net metering" and other consumer energy subsidies tooth and nail in courtrooms and legislative halls. Now look at me!

[Edit] Total kWh consumption for 2016 was a whopping 26,011 kWh!
    Last edited by JD4JC; 5 Days Ago at 06:06 PM.
    2017 Volt Premier, Silver, Black Leather Hidden Content (Successor to 2015 Volt)
    (PV System, 13.78 kWp at 6140' MSL, 3825'45"N)
    2011 Ford F-150 Lariat 4WD V-6 Ecoboost, Extended Crew Cab
    1984 Ford F-250 Diesel
    Kubota B-7100 Tractor Diesel 4WD Manual Trans
    John Deere 2305 Tractor Diesel 4WD Hydrostatic Trans
    ASV RC-60 Tracked Skid-Steer Multi Terrain Loader
    Most fun vehicles before Volt: 1973 Ferrari Dino 246GT; 1983 Taurus SHO MTX; 2003 Lincoln LS Sport; 1983 Cessna TR-182

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

I still don't understand this mindset one tiny little bit. If I drill a water well in my back yard, I don't get to sell my excess water production to the water company. If I'm growing a garden, I'm not selling my extra tomatoes to Del Monte. If I'm making bio diesel, I don't have Exxon sending me a check for X number of gallons every month.

If these companies are so evil, install your own battery bank and go 100% off grid. Of course, this is rhetorical, as I already know the answer there - it's too expensive, and you'll never have a positive ROI on that setup.
    Typo on my part. my power company is lobbying the government to not require them to allow net metering. if that happens, it makes it much harder for me as I'll need a bank of batteries instead of using the power grid as my bank.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

Let's deal with the basics, electrons are electrons are electrons. A PV system can sell back without having to refine the power source outside the inverters and the owners safety expense installing back feed cutoffs in times of power outages . Further, by selling back clean energy, power companies will able to save money by not having to build new power plants. Further there is the added benefit for the community and communities down wind of solar farm do not have to deal with the devastating effects from the pollution caused by coal power plant or any other fossil fuel plant.

As for water argument. Water pumped out of the ground, must be tested and meet government criteria for the safety of the public before it is sent through municipal water pipes. No water company would dare take the chance with water coming from a private source that is not continually monitor and treated. It was bad enough that in Flint, Michigan, when the state government overlooked concerns about the water coming from Flint river to save money.

Ah, as for the tomatoes. There is no stopping you from selling your extra tomatoes to restaurants or any other venue that wishes to purchased them. And as far as I know, there are no rules for you trying to get a contract with del monte, though I doubt that you could supply them with enough tomatoes for their needs.
    And for the biodiesel argument, again the same thing holds true for as was for the water.

Your reasoning therefore is spurious to say the least..
    Last edited by Mcgsp; 5 Days Ago at 12:54 AM.

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgsp View Post
    Let's deal with the basics, electrons are electrons are electrons. A PV system can sell back without having to refine the power source outside the inverters and the owners safety expense installing back feed cutoffs in times of power outages . Further, by selling back clean energy, power companies will able to save money by not having to build new power plants. Further there is the added benefit for the community and communities down wind of solar farm do not have to deal with the devastating effects from the pollution caused by coal power plant or any other fossil fuel plant.

As for water argument. Water pumped out of the ground, must be tested and meet government criteria for the safety of the public before it is sent through municipal water pipes. No water company would dare take the chance with water coming from a private source that is not continually monitor and treated. It was bad enough that in Flint, Michigan, when the state government overlooked concerns about the water coming from Flint river to save money.

Ah, as for the tomatoes. There is no stopping you from selling your extra tomatoes to restaurants or any other venue that wishes to purchased them. And as far as I know, there are no rules for you trying to get a contract with del monte, though I doubt that you could supply them with enough tomatoes for their needs.
    And for the biodiesel argument, again the same thing holds true for as was for the water.

Your reasoning therefore is spurious to say the least..
    There's a guy down the street from me who has 80 chickens and sells his eggs at a local farmer's market. He also has a giant vegetable garden, but doesn't sell those because there are plenty of other competitors at that particular farmer's market. He's the only guy around sellign farm fresh eggs.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text