GM Volt Forum banner

Chevy offers $20/month unlimited Onstar data plan

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Dakster 
#1 ·
#4 ·
would be nice if it did but I am not going to hold my breath .....

The OnStar data in Canadian GM vehicles also lists AT&T as the provider but I think the actual provider here in Canada is Bell on behalf of AT&T. (recall asking if I could add my car to my Rogers plan for an additional fee when my data trial ran out and someone said it was Bell).

Nothing on the US or Canadian OnStar sites yet which still lists 1Gb/4Gb/10Gb in USA as $10, $20 and $40 p/m and in Canada the same plans are $15, $35, and $70

#6 ·
It's actually awesome and can be enjoyed by the driver legally in many scenarios while waiting...

Go on a long trip and if you have 2+ passengers streaming Netflix, it takes its toll on capped dataplans...

#8 ·
The in-car data business is booming, and Chevrolet is stepping up to help meet demand with a new, prepaid $20 monthly unlimited data plan – the first unlimited data plan for car owners from one of the big three in the U.S. The plan will let people connect in-car to OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi (in models that offer this, which includes all of its lineup for late-model vehicles).

It’s a big move for Chevrolet and OnStar because data use is on the rise – Chevrolet says that its customers used around 200 percent more data during 2016 than they did in 2015, with a significant portion of that growth coming from the second half of the year.

Chevy’s OnStar LTE connection is supplied by AT&T, and does not require any long-term commitment, so you can cancel at any time. The tech is obviously designed to be enjoyed by passengers, not drivers, but it’s increasingly in demand, especially for families with kids who want to stay connected while on the road.

Connected vehicles provide additional revenue streams for carmakers, so that could be the reason Chevrolet is willing to forgo more income from different pricing tiers in this instance. It should also boost that strong growth the GM-owned carmaker is already seeing in terms of demand for in-car data, which will help long-term with subsidizing the cost of a connected fleet with consumer subscriptions.

++++

Interesting and not a bad price if you can enroll in this, and this alone.

#9 ·
Most people who buy EVs already are into tech, and have large cellular dataplans. But if you made it cheap and convenient, it's be a nice feature in the car. I refuse to buy data at $20/month, too expensive. Make the Dataplan $5/Gb (per month) and I'd be happy to sign up.

#11 ·
Most people who buy EVs already are into tech, and have large cellular dataplans. But if you made it cheap and convenient, it's be a nice feature in the car. I refuse to buy data at $20/month, too expensive. Make the Dataplan $5/Gb (per month) and I'd be happy to sign up.
Where does this stat come from? Personally, $20/month for unlimited data is cheap. Not sure what you mean by '$5/Gb (per month) '.

#19 ·
So you consider $20/month for unlimited data too expensive, but you would rather pay $5 per GB per month? Alrighty...

This is a great deal for a good number of people. Have kids with mobile devices? Need data for work while on the go? etc, etc, etc.
The idea is to cap my data-in-car spending at about $5, with the option on say a road trip to go up to $10-$15 if necessary. Why slap a regular $20/month bill into my life if I don't have to? All-You-Can-Eat buffets are highly overrated.

/CanadianPragmatism

#20 ·
The idea is to cap my data-in-car spending at about $5, with the option on say a road trip to go up to $10-$15 if necessary. Why slap a regular $20/month bill into my life if I don't have to? All-You-Can-Eat buffets are highly overrated.

/CanadianPragmatism
I agree, in your case - don't go to the all you eat buffet... For the moment, this doesn't make sense for us either.

Interesting idea llninja, but you'd need onstar for that canabilized system too... so more than $20 per month.

#12 ·
Might be good for some people.

I think that this is a feeler plan. It's tough to price. I think they'll get data and adjust.

Glad they reacted though, because their other pricing of data is pretty terrible.

Of course, you have to have OnStar, which mobile phones and smartphones have made increasingly irrelevant for most drivers.

#17 ·
FYI, here is the Canadian OnStar Data Plan options, which, as you can see, is just bad comedy:

Monthly data plans will expire at the end of 30 days, or after data is used, whichever occurs first. Monthly data plans will renew automatically every 30 days.

1 GB per month - $15.00 for 30 days
4 GB per month - $35.00 for 30 days
10 GB per month - $70.00 for 30 days

One Time Purchases
250MB for one Day - $5.00/day
20GB for one year - $200.00 for 365 days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.