GM Volt Forum banner

Cool Ampera E (Bolt EV) Videos

8K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  AndY1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here are some cool Ampera E videos I dug up on YouTube. We all know the Bolt and the Ampera E are the same car so here's some candy for your eyes. I think the Bolt program director needs to hire Opel's marketing department!!

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here are some cool Ampera E videos I dug up on YouTube. We all know the Bolt and the Ampera E are the same car so here's some candy for your eyes. I think the Bolt program director needs to hire Opel's marketing department!!
Thanks for posting those videos. Here is a video of a first drive review. Narrative begins at about 4 minutes.

I love how they describe regenerative braking as "turning the motor into a dynamo".
Perfectly reasonable.
Dynamo
noun, plural dynamos.
1. an electric generator, especially for direct current.
2. an energetic, hard working, forceful person.

KNS

#11 ·
Dynamo
noun, plural dynamos.
1. an electric generator, especially for direct current.
2. an energetic, hard working, forceful person.

KNS

#7 ·
These remind me of what car commercials used to be - you know, actually describing your product's features and trying to sell it.
Not silly gimmicks and scenarios.

#14 ·
Sooooo, how is GM going to sell AmperaE in Europe? They moved the Chevrolet brand out of Europe a few years ago?
It's just a change in accounting. Instead of GM NA wholesaling cars to GM Europe, it wholesales them to PSA until PSA decides they want to cancel the line. IIRC, GM Europe was legally a subsidiary company, not technically part of GM NA, so that profits there didn't have to be report could stay in Europe and not be taxed again in the US.

#19 ·
Apparently, GM isn't serious with AmperaE:
GM already didn't bring Volt2 to Europe and now this.
The video says "GM has said it's loosing money on the Bolt EV" This often repeated claim is never backed up with a link to GM actually saying this.

#23 ·
Sure, someone on the outside guessing what's happening inside GM, and the guess is repeated as fact. It's like those who claimed GM was losing $150,000 per Volt sold based on wacky assumptions.

#21 ·
That may be true if you include r&d and only account for first year sales but with each year of sale the loss they talk about usually disappears and becomes profit. A truly new and innovative car will never have a chance of showing the profits the way a car that uses a technology that has been fine tuned for production and cost efficiency for the past 100 years!

#24 · (Edited)
Ok, explain to me then, why is GM flooding California with Bolts, which stay unsold on dealer lots, while there are so many preorders in South Korea, Canada, Norway, which are not fulfilled and I bet, that they are being sold at a full price and not with 5+kUSD discounts I'm seeing in California.

#27 ·
It's the same fuzzy math by assuming all development costs must be paid off in year one.
Magically by year two they "lose" $3700 each.
The real loss is cost of parts + assembly - is that positive or is it negative? It's positive.
The development costs are recouped over a lifetime of the vehicle and it's derivatives (any other vehicle sharing these bolt components will also pay down that cost).
To count it all up front is just silly as it's a sliding scale that goes from infinity to nothing as time goes on.

Can you imagine what the figure would be for Toyota's Mirai? Which almost surely is being sold at a loss per unit (based solely on manufacturing cost, not counting R&D which makes it far worse). Wonder why no one's talking about that one?

edit: looks like they are:
https://cleantechnica.com/2014/11/19/toyota-lose-100000-every-hydrogen-fcv-sold/

#29 · (Edited)
#30 ·
I suspect, based on little evidence, that this is a tax issue somehow. That perhaps European car manufacturers transferring vehicles between subsidiaries into Europe are taxed differently than European car wholesalers buying cars from non-Euro companies and importing them. Or some similar quirk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.