GM Volt Forum banner

Simple Volt Improvement

11K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  RoRo 
#1 · (Edited)
Illuminate the charger port with the charger door opening. Seems so simple to integrate a light to assist in plugging the Volt into the charger port at night.

Scott
2017 Premier

#3 ·
This comes up pretty often. I'm starting to wonder about people's night vision. If there's enough light for me to see the car, I don't have any problem plugging it in. Heck, I could probably manage to do it with my eyes closed. Why are so many having so much trouble?

#5 ·
If your car is parked outside, when you get home at night, it is pitch back and there is no way to see anything. Yes you can get use to do it blind, but it is definitely not as comfortable as if you have some light :)

All EVSE should have that light activated when pressing the handle like the one included with the Spark EV

#4 ·
On my 2015, if you press the release button on the charging handle, an LED shined out of the charger end. Pretty handy.

#8 · (Edited)
Set the headlight delay to a longer time. Since I plug in every night for four years, I can do it blindfolded.

Are these folks needing light too cheap to run an outside building light? What are they doing for security?

An 11-watt LED (equal lumens to 60-watt incandescent) is how many pennys at 12c/1,000 watt-hours? $1/month?

#10 ·
I don't have a garage, my level 2 EVSE is on a post between my driveway and the side of my house. It is further out in the country, not a lot of light when I get home from work in the winter. I can manage without a light, but would be nice to have one on the EVSE handle that turns on when you pull the trigger like timlange describes. Seems like this is just as much an opportunity for a EVSE manufacturer as it is for GM.

#13 ·
I love when people basically say "that isn't a problem for me, so you must just be dumb". Great argument! Way to completely ignore that other people have other experiences.... you do know that people have varying levels of night vision, and some lighting situations can actually exacerbate the issue? Nah, we must all just be dumb.

I rent (so can't control outdoor lighting), and while I do have some outdoor lights, they are unfortunately arranged such that they shadow the charge port while simultaneously shining in my eyes. That combo can make proper plug alignment at night difficult. I would love a charge port light, but I have a gen1 (and I wouldn't pay the asking price for the gen2 option). I have thought of using a zip-tie to attach a small button light to the plug handle, but that would look kind of dumb. I usually fumble a bit and can get it, though if it's really bad I always have a small light on my keychain I can use. It is a standard feature on many other EVs for a reason...

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.