GM Volt Forum banner

16 amps 120 Volt charging

10K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Rampage_Rick 
#1 ·
Hi I have an aftermarket 16 amp dual 120/240 evse. It draws 16 amps at 240. However the only options for the internal volt charging circuits on 120 appear to be 8 or 12 amps in the settings so does that mean that on 120 16 amps is not available, only up to 12 and only if set to 12 for 120 in settings? I know that using 240 bypasses those amp limiting settings but wanted to check on 120 options.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Yup, you can't get over 12 amps unless you plug your EVSE into a leaf or tesla. The onboard charger on the volt side cannot do over 12A. On the flip side, 240 doesn't bypass the amp setting. It is still 12 amps, but at double the voltage you get roughly half the charge time. One more thing, you could have purchased or made a little pigtail for your factory EVSE to give it 240V capability. Plenty of forum users have done that for much less than a new EVSE. But there is utility in having one plugged in at home and another in the hatch for the road.

#3 ·
Thanks got chris Tx adapter for the oem EVSE and it works great on the oem and the other dual voltage EVSE. Was just wondering if I decided to use the aftermarket one as a 120 charger whether It would draw 16 A and sounds like it will not due to the Volt's internal 120 setup. The aftermarket EVSE does appear to draw 16 amps on 240. My volt charged to full from empty in 4 hours 12 mins on 240 so I think that means it was drawing 16 not 12 on 240.

#4 ·
You're right. I was mistaken. The OEM EVSE is limited to 12A either at 120 or 240V so you probably see 5 hour L2 charge times with the Chris TX adapter. I think the volt charger is 15A so a 16A EVSE will allow for shorter charging times. But the answer to your original question is still true, you cannot charge the volt at 16A 120V. I think it is more of a safety feature as just like gen1 owners are apt to put in regular despite the owner's manual, if they allowed 15A at 120 even with all the warnings of only using the 15A on a 25-30A circuit, some numbskull will do it and set their 15A breaker and outlet on fire.

#5 ·
And I was mistaken also, as to 16 amps -- the internal charger in the Volt can only handle 15 max at 240. So it's 12 A Max at 120 and 15 A max at 240. So my four hour 12 minute charging time must be 15 A at 240 which I think equates to 3.6 kW which is a little less than the max that my aftermarket portable EVSE in theory could put out (3.8 kw) at 16 amps at 240....

#6 ·
I have always believed that the volt should support 16 amp 110 vac since it's basically a zero cost change on gms side.

I have 20+ amp 110vav everywhere but 220 only at home

#7 ·
Given the BS with 8A default CYA, they will never allow 16A, even if you have the appropriate outlet.
And on 120V the charge rate is controlled by the computer. 240V it's controlled by the max allowed by charger/EVSE handshake

#8 ·
And on 120V the charge rate is controlled by the computer. 240V it's controlled by the max allowed by charger/EVSE handshake
Only the volt behaves this way, the leaf supports 30 amp 110vac charging if used with a compatible EVSE.

Volt is unique to every other EV on the road today in this regard

#10 ·
Only the volt behaves this way, the leaf supports 30 amp 110vac charging if used with a compatible EVSE.

Volt is unique to every other EV on the road today in this regard
Yes, volt used to work that way as well in 2011/2012 (charge rate was controlled by EVSE). Then they forced the 8A default and computer controls L1 charge rate ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.