11K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Bacardi 
#1 ·
What are your plans:

1. I'm going to lease but current lease prices are too high for me

2. I'm going to lease and want my car now at current lease prices

3. I'm going to buy but only when prices drop

4. I'm going to buy and want my car now at current MSRP prices

#4 ·
I'm planning on waiting until close to the end of the year for prices to come down assuming our butts like the seats. Like with our 2016 volt, we waited for close to the end of the 2015 year then pulled the ~10k out of savings to place it on the car to lower the monthly payment down to the low $300's. Then a few months later we wait for the tax returns and rebates to replenish our savings. Hope my wife's suv with 186k can hang in there until that time.

#8 ·
Curious. Is this because you have one of the early reservations? if not, might be a while.

#7 ·
We are waiting (wife and I). But not for the Bolt EV price to drop. Ontario (and possibly the federal government) is talking about exempting sales tax in 2018. We will wait for the spring budget before deciding to replace my wife's Sonic Hatch. Sales tax here is 13% (5% federal 8% provincial) so it's a big chunk of change.

Also we currently owe about what my wife's Sonic is worth. So paying it down more is a benefit.

#9 · (Edited)
Not everyone fully understands leasing, you can still negotiate the sales price...There have been three dealers who reportedly will sell at a discount...

The forum sponsor Rydell, $1K off MSRP...
Non-sponsor L.A. County dealer who claims to sell them at invoice (no one has reported an official sale so this isn't confirmed; yet many have reported on these forums many Volts and other chevys way under invoice)...
NorCal dealer (hint, where the first three were delivered) has had confirmed deals under MSRP...

So "discounts" do currently exist, it's just the incentives are not as favorable as other GM vehicles...At launch, many Chevys including the Gen1 Volt, the Spark EV and the Gen2 Volt qualified for most or all incentives; heck even the new Camaro qualified for more incentives than the Bolt EV...GM is treating it like the niche Z06, could be possible it has zero plans to open up the incentives...

Yet the lack of "lease cash" and the lack of incentives that make leasing the Bolt not

#12 ·
I'm going to wait until those of you that choose to lease turn yours in, then I'm going to buy one of those! Maybe there will be a few 12 month leases out there (like the used 2016 I bought was) so I don't have to wait too long...

#14 ·
I really want to do this too, but my desire for new may win out. Yours seems like the thrifty money move, assuming you can get the color/options you want. Waiting 2-3 years could even be better depending on what happens with the tax credit situation.

#13 ·
I am waiting for more details on the Model 3 (option prices) which will hopefully be released at the end of March. I am in the 23,300 range in the reservation list, but live in the Paramus, NJ area. I waited on line before the Tesla store opened the day the reservations started. I believe it was mentioned that Tesla would concentrate on the west coast first and then move eastward after the current Tesla owners. I feel the Model 3 in more appropriate to the size I want. I do not plan on getting rid of my 2013 Gen 1 Volt.

#16 ·
I ended up leasing a new e-Golf SE with DCFC for what amounts to $95/month (all in) for the next 30 months. Total out of pocket after CA and PGE rebates is about $2800 for the 30 month/10K term ($3K down - $2500 CA rebate - $500 PGE rebate). As much as I like the Bolt I couldn't justify 4x the cost to get the Bolt.

#18 ·
If Bolt follows Gen II Volt pattern, then at the end of 2017 once 2018 models show up, 2017s may be unloaded with 20% off MSRP, or at $31K. If that's the case then I am jumping on one, and after $11k back (feds, state, city) it will be a $20k car.
BTW, 2017 may be the last year Chevy gets full $7500.
That's all assuming Model 3 in still vaporware by the end of 2017...

#19 ·
When I get one in a year or two I'll consider leasing if the numbers work out. The tech is changing so fast I don't want to necessarily own. Hoping a self driving version of some sort is available in a few years but who knows...

#20 ·
I've got a suspicion that lease returns on these will be on par with the Volt lease experience and we'll start seeing no small amount of used vehicles hitting the market in late 2020. I'll see what things look like then.

#21 ·
I'm ready to buy once GM offers the Bolt platform under a sleek coupe body style, or even a sleek sedan body style.

I've become convinced that a significant majority of Tesla S sales volume is due to the sleek body style. If the 'S' was simply a large box on wheels, I dare say sales would be considerably less.

Why Chevy has decided to bring out the Bolt as a small box on wheels seems counter intuitive to me. But, contrary to the way I think, right now SUV's, mini vans, CUV's, and pickup trucks are all the rage. However, those do not seem like the best shape for a BEV.

#23 ·
Why Chevy has decided to bring out the Bolt as a small box on wheels seems counter intuitive to me.
There's a market for sleek coupes.

And there's a market for boxy utilitarian vehicles. It's not a small market - just look at all the SUVs out there. They outnumber sleek coupes.

Tesla is not selling boxy utilitarian vehicles, so GM has that market all to itself. It's a lot smarter than trying to compete in Tesla's market.

#29 ·
I just hope that what GM learns from the Bolt is that bigger batteries and more range, as well as fast charging are what is going to sell. Just try to keep up with Tesla and they will be fine :)..........

#31 ·
I wonder how long it will be before the Bolt EV gets an upgrade...
ZEV credit wise for 2018 (vehicle produced, not model year) there's a new tier if the vehicle hits 250 miles of range...You'd imagine it's not that difficult to achieve...In fact if they could downsize the wheels/tires (the spark EV has 15") which might require a smaller diameter rotors (you use a more powerful caliper[sprung weight] to keep stopping power the same) could get you there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.