GM Volt Forum banner

2012 Volt - Charging Via Inverter

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Fyodor 
#1 ·
Hello, I reside on the 4th floor of an apartment in Spain, but the council/community company, have refused me the installation of a private power extension lead, to charge up my Volt, so I've been looking for other alternatives, and after watching a youtube video about DIY EV Range Extender, I have preliminary setup a similar system, but I can't get the lights to even go green on the Volts' portable J1772 charger. I have a brand new 3kW Pure Sine Wave Inverter (YueQuing Reliable Electric), which produces 240 volts AC @ 50Hz. The standard charger that came with my 2012 Volt, works when plugged into the mains socket, but doesn't when plugged into the grounded inverter. Can anyone help me with this problem please? I'd also like to say that the Chevrolet Volt, is the most brilliant versatile Electric/Generator car, I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

#2 ·
What is the source (volts, amps) of the input to your inverter? What exactly is the 'private power extension lead'? Equivalent to a separate "meter" or subpanel here in the states?

#4 ·
I'm missing something here too. To the OP: did the car not come with an EVSE (charge cord) that works in Spain? If it is an American spec car would an Ampera unit not work?

#5 · (Edited)
Apologies for the self-reference, but having read the original post again, it sounds as if you are trying to create some kind of external engine-drive generator (you say 'range extender'). Is this the case? It might be an interesting project but I can't see the practicality of such a thing.

P.S. Now I've found this on Youtube and I wonder all the more about the practicality; it adds nothing the Volt does not already have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO0TSaEJKOY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.