Problem with Homelink
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Homelink

Default Problem with Homelink

The garage door button works and sometimes it doesn't work. It will always close the door but upon arriving it is hit or miss. I get cell phone calls from my wife to open the garage door. I programmed a second button, same thing. Hit or miss. I cancelled out all the buttons and re installed the buttons. Same thing. Does anyone know of a programming fix from the dealer?
    2015Crystal Red
    # D4490
    Arrival Date August 1, 2015
    Home Solar Panels since 2007

I had a bit of trouble initially linking to my Genie during the initial setup, but once done it's been solid. I can beam my garage door open from half a block away minimum. But the button must be pressed just so (kinda hard) and held a second. So maybe your fingering technique needs some improvement. Otherwise, maybe the button itself has faulty contacts.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by willymy View Post
    The garage door button works and sometimes it doesn't work. It will always close the door but upon arriving it is hit or miss. I get cell phone calls from my wife to open the garage door. I programmed a second button, same thing. Hit or miss. I cancelled out all the buttons and re installed the buttons. Same thing. Does anyone know of a programming fix from the dealer?
    I had very little trouble linking both my garage door openers. I initially did it at the dealers at delivery with the remote...or so I thought so. No such success when I got the Volt home. I tried again several times with just using the remote and even though the programming (blinking lights I think) indicated success it wasn't functioning. I actually had to press the program button at the opener and rush to the Volt to complete the programming. I have had zero problems since the initial programs and I use the Volt on both doors regularly.
    2012 Blue Volt
    Voltstats.net: 2012-16084 (C-6084)
    Hidden Content
    In my garage charging (L1) for the 1st time on 24-Mar-12
    Typical Commute: 34 to 39 miles each way (Charging at Work on L2!)Hidden Content
    All-Time Best....55.4 eMiles on a single charge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

If I had to guess, you have one of those rolling code garage door openers, and may have missed a step. The missed step may be causing the door to only work sometimes.

The rolling code doors are somewhat of a pain to program, and you have to step through up to three iterations to get it to work, and need to follow the instructions to a tee. I'm guessing you may have only stepped through two.
    Last edited by ClarksonCote; 02-12-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

Quote Originally Posted by willymy View Post
    Unless everything works fine with a different remote, it sounds to me that you've programmed everything correctly if the door DOES close when you push the HomeLink button.

1) Check that you have not left the "Lock" button on the manual opener on the wall in the "Locked" position. This will allow you to open and close the door manually but, only close it with any remote.

2) Openers operate at ~300Mhz. With the door open, you've got a clear shot to the antenna on the back of the head unit. With the door closed, not so much if you've got a metal door - its attenuated a bit. Check that the antenna wire if fully exposed and not curled up. Worst case - there are external antenna kits available.
    Norm

Status - Build-date Sep 2012
    Status - Delivery date 16 Nov 2012
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have a Chamberlain and I find that I have to hold the button down for several seconds to get the door to open. I also discovered that if I put LED's or CF bulbs in the opener the remote would not work. The radio interference from a those bulbs jam the signal. Use incandescent bulbs only. Also... If you have anything else plugged into the same circuit as the opener that can cause RF interference it can be a problem. I had a small security camera plugged into the opener outlet. It jammed the signal. Removed the camera and all issues with the opener went away. Seems that those opener receivers are very sensitive to RF interference.

One last thing I will mention. GM does not manufacture HomeLink. GM just buys the remote from HomeLink. (A division of Johnson Controls.) http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome

You can even buy a HomeLink as an aftermarket item. http://www.brandmotion.com/homelink/.../homelink.html
    Last edited by Fulgerite; 02-12-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgerite View Post
    I also discovered that if I put LED's or CF bulbs in the opener the remote would not work. The radio interference from a those bulbs jam the signal. Use incandescent bulbs only.
    Interesting. My Genie specified incandescent. That's likely the reason they did so.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

I have a Chamberlain and I find that I have to hold the button down for several seconds to get the door to open. I also discovered that if I put LED's or CF bulbs in the opener the remote would not work. The radio interference from a those bulbs jam the signal. Use incandescent bulbs only.
    I guess I've been lucky. I've used CFLs in my Chamberlain for years now. After the timeout, the bulb shouldn't be on any longer. So If you try it right away after you've closed it, I could see interference being an issue.

I'm wondering now if the older models were less sensitive to CFLs. Ours was installed about 10 years ago.
    Norm

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Norm51 View Post
    I guess I've been lucky. I've used CFLs in my Chamberlain for years now. After the timeout, the bulb shouldn't be on any longer. So If you try it right away after you've closed it, I could see interference being an issue.

I'm wondering now if the older models were less sensitive to CFLs. Ours was installed about 10 years ago.
    My Chamberlain is only 2 years old. I think it probably depends on the specific brand of CFL or LED lamp. And you are right... It's generally not an issue getting it open when the lights are off. It's when you back out of the garage while the lights are on... And you can't get the door to close because the lights interfere with the radio signals. (Drove me nuts until I figured out what was happening.)\

And by the way... CFL's are a terrible choice to put into an opener. They don't come on to full brightness and you have to wait a minute or so for the lamp to get bright. By then I am gone. Since the openers have self timers that shut off... and the incandescent bulb will only be on for a short period of time... It's not a major power user anyway. LED's come on to full brightness instantly but the radio interference jams the opener control. (I tried three brands of LED lamps. All of them caused an issue.) The incandescents don't interfere. They are only on for a few min at a time. I am sticking with incandescent bulbs in the opener... (As Long as I can still buy them.)
    Last edited by Fulgerite; 02-12-2013 at 11:55 AM.

12. Advertisement

I am sticking with incandescent bulbs in the opener... (As Long as I can still buy them.)
    LOL!!!

We have rental properties in which we've changed out all of the lighting to CFL & LED. So we've now got BOXES of bulbs that we've pulled out now on the shelves in the garage.

Yeah, we don't rely on the opener lights for anything other than walking to and from the car and utility room. We've got a 150W equiv. CFL in the ceiling for times when we're looking for something on the shelves and the outer door is still closed. In keeping with the lines of the house, the garage has a 12' vaulted ceiling. That light works well that high up.
    Norm

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting