Fix it ticket : Inop hatch brake lights
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: Fix it ticket : Inop hatch brake lights

Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    (I'm trying again because I replied to your message and to 'saghost' but the replies have just passed Saturn, the planet, not the car)

No, I was in regular 'D' mode. He pulled me over after coming to a stop at a traffic signal. On the side of the road he had me apply my brakes and then wrote the ticket.

Actually, he initially would not let me start the car to make the brake lights illuminate. Then he kept asking whether I turned off the car and even had me put my keys on the roof!

As you can see, it wasn't a pleasant night!
    Sounds like that cop was determined to write a ticket.

I've heard of some people that decided to "stick it" to a cop out on an agenda handing out speeding tickets like candy, and they requested a court date to contest the ticket, then on the morning of the court date, requested an adjournment and had it rescheduled a few weeks later. They rinsed and repeated this a few more times, making the cop show up each morning, then on the morning of the actual court date, they just paid the fine, so the cop had to show up one more time for nothing.

I think the person said the cop actually called them up and asked why he was such a d!ck. Lol
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

I'm fixin to head to my dealer to look at the parts chart.

On a side note, I was wondering if there was a problem with the gm-volt.com site? I have had several posts not 'take' and one post by someone else disappear (I think from Qinsp which had a link to officer.com.)

Be back in a little while,

Cheerios!
    The link I posted was not the path you should take, so I deleted it.

Some states have amended their Vehicle Code to say the car must comply with the FMVSS? (fed code) applicable to the date of manufacture for that model of vehicle.

The problem is, how is a LEO to know the FMVSS for every car model, every year? They can't. This is why judges throw out 3rd light tickets if contested.

So you COULD fight it based on that. "At the time of the infraction, did you know all the FMVSS codes that pertained to the 2015 Hupmobile Sport Edition Coupe lighting system?" "No." "Then why did you cite the vehicle if you did not know what the requirements were at the time?"

But why? You just need to find a cop, push the brake lights, have them see 3 lights, and they sign it off. Done.

Being is the right isn't the point. Getting the issue resolved is. Fastest way is to just handle like the LEO wrote you for a burned out light, even if there wasn't one.
    Last edited by Qinsp; 01-11-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Ménage à trois - 2017, 2016 and 2013 Volts.
    Tesla Model 3 Reserved

My last inspection that I had for a mini van the the 3rd light was out, the inspector told me I had failed, but once she try to get a computer code for the failure there was none, and thus had to pass me. And although I live in NJ, outside of Ca we have what I believe to be the second toughest vehicle inspection laws in the country. So I would assume there is nothing on the books for Alabama for a third light out. So instead of looking to find the parts I would look into the vehicle inspection laws for Alabama and see what is required. Should not take too much time. take a printed inspection codes to your Hwy Patrol in your state have them remove it. The codes must be published these things are not done in secret.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Qinsp View Post
    The link I posted was not the path you should take, so I deleted it.

Some states have amended their Vehicle Code to say the car must comply with the FMVSS? (fed code) applicable to the date of manufacture for that model of vehicle.

The problem is, how is a LEO to know the FMVSS for every car model, every year? They can't. This is why judges throw out 3rd light tickets if contested.

So you COULD fight it based on that. "At the time of the infraction, did you know all the FMVSS codes that pertained to the 2015 Hupmobile Sport Edition Coupe lighting system?" "No." "Then why did you cite the vehicle if you did not know what the requirements were at the time?"

But why? You just need to find a cop, push the brake lights, have them see 3 lights, and they sign it off. Done.

Being is the right isn't the point. Getting the issue resolved is. Fastest way is to just handle like the LEO wrote you for a burned out light, even if there wasn't one.
    Understood but the link is still an interesting read.

Anyhow, there is no "sign off" option on this ticket that I can see or have been told. According to the instructions, I have to complete the steps or else it turns into a full ticket and has to be paid at the full price.

The process just stinks.

Anyhow, I think I have sufficient information including an exploded parts diagram, three screen caps from YouTube and a note on dealer stationary stating the this model does not have lamps in the positions described.

I'm going to grab a bit for lunch and then drive over there and see what happens. (I have to get this done quickly as a have a couple of major oral surgeries scheduled over the next few weeks.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgsp View Post
    My last inspection that I had for a mini van the the 3rd light was out, the inspector told me I had failed, but once she try to get a computer code for the failure there was none, and thus had to pass me. And although I live in NJ, outside of Ca we have what I believe to be the second toughest vehicle inspection laws in the country. So I would assume there is nothing on the books for Alabama for a third light out. So instead of looking to find the parts I would look into the vehicle inspection laws for Alabama and see what is required. Should not take too much time. take a printed inspection codes to your Hwy Patrol in your state have them remove it. The codes must be published these things are not done in secret.
    Actually, all lights present were / are working. It was the reflectors in the hatch the officer was referring to; he thought those were brake lights.
    Adopted a CPO 2013 Volt on 12/31/16

Quote Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
    Sounds like that cop was determined to write a ticket.

I've heard of some people that decided to "stick it" to a cop out on an agenda handing out speeding tickets like candy, and they requested a court date to contest the ticket, then on the morning of the court date, requested an adjournment and had it rescheduled a few weeks later. They rinsed and repeated this a few more times, making the cop show up each morning, then on the morning of the actual court date, they just paid the fine, so the cop had to show up one more time for nothing.

I think the person said the cop actually called them up and asked why he was such a d!ck. Lol
    Well, trust me, I'm not going to do anything like that person!
    Adopted a CPO 2013 Volt on 12/31/16

I just got a "fix it ticket" by the highway patrol for inoperative brake lights. The officer even showed me a pic of a Volt on his phone with brake lights in the hatch.
    LOL! The hatch portion of the lights are just reflectors. If the officer had a picture showing otherwise, it was either a custom modification, or the reflection of the camera's lights in the reflectors. Sorry to hear about the bad luck, but the officer is mistaken so you should be able to contest this pretty easily.

I would suggest trying to call him or his department directly, explain that you researched it etc. Heck, even send him a picture of this post! If he doesn't cpncede, contest it through legal channels i.e. via a court date.

To repeat, the hatch itself only has reflectors. The portions right next to the hatch are the lights.
    Last edited by ClarksonCote; 01-11-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

z80, did you read this thread with a similar ticket issue?

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....Driving-in-Low
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Citron Green
    Current Lifetime MPGe: 109
    Odometer: 14,000+ miles

Well, it's time for my first post after acquiring a GM Certified 2013 Volt one week ago. Since I have never seen another Gen 1 Volt driving down the road so I have to ask a dumb question:

Are there brake lights in the hatch?

I just got a "fix it ticket" by the highway patrol for inoperative brake lights. The officer even showed me a pic of a Volt on his phone with brake lights in the hatch.

Looking closely, I don't see anything in there.

Any suggestions on how to fight the ticket since I don't think there is anything to fix?

Cheerios!
    I imagine the officer was referring to the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Lamp) located just under the rear 'spoiler' between the rear lamps.

Just ignore the ricey LED strips next to each stop light, I'm referring to the higher lamp in the middle

* As I re-review the responses (they didn't show up when I initially replied for some reason), if he was referring to the reflectors next to each brake light, then yes, the officer was mistaken. Maybe he has the modded picture above on his phone LOL
    Joe

Hidden Content

Gen 1 Wind Buffeting fix - Hidden Content
    Rotor/Stator bearing replacement - Hidden Content
    GM Warranty Hidden Content
    GM Owners Manuals Hidden Content

Good luck with your battle and let us know how things turn out.
    2013 Base, Cyber Gray

Advertisement

Brake and turn signals must be on a non-moving part of the body. They can't only be on a door or a hatch. You'll notice this on all vehicles on your drive to work tomorrow. Go school that cop in court.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/h...-lights-258377
    Caretaker of Squirrel's! 2015 Volt... and 66 cylinders of classic GMs!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text