GM Volt Forum banner

Fix it ticket : Inop hatch brake lights

7K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  z80 
#1 ·
Well, it's time for my first post after acquiring a GM Certified 2013 Volt one week ago. Since I have never seen another Gen 1 Volt driving down the road so I have to ask a dumb question:

Are there brake lights in the hatch?

I just got a "fix it ticket" by the highway patrol for inoperative brake lights. The officer even showed me a pic of a Volt on his phone with brake lights in the hatch.

Looking closely, I don't see anything in there.

Any suggestions on how to fight the ticket since I don't think there is anything to fix?

Cheerios!

#2 · (Edited)
If the question you're trying to ask is whether the red reflective sections adjacent to the tail lights at the sides of the lower glass light up, the answer is no. They are just reflectors (which will appear lit up if someone takes a photo with flash...)

There is, of course, a center high mounted stop light on the underside of the spoiler which should light up with the brake lights.

I'm not sure how you fight a mistaken fix it ticket like this - maybe talk to a Chevy dealer or Volt advisor and get a signed statement certifying that those reflectors aren't intended to light up?

Edit: well, they don't light up unless you're this guy. :)

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?16831-My-final-brake-and-rear-light-LED-mod

#7 ·
(Sorry for the delay in replying. My first response was vaporized because I had my sonic screwdriver in the wrong mode. Maybe I should have written it on paper... pulp... wood... nevermind)

Anyhow, yes, the photo you showed was similar to what he showed me on his phone.

The lights in corners do light up as does the CHMSL but nothing on the hatch... even though it looks like it should. I found that they lit up on the first concept car, too.

Good idea about contacting a Volt advisor assuming they are available to 2nd owners this late in the game. I just found the direct number for them, too.

I'll also see if I can my dealer to print the page of parts for the hatch to show that there are no lights in there.

The other piece of evidence is to take a photo of my car with the brake lights on and print screen shots of video reviews of 1st generation Volt. There is a Volt for sale about 140 miles away that I might go and take a picture of, as well.

The goal is to do this in one trip because where I have to go is in another state and I don't trust the mail-in option.

Thanks for your reply and, again, I'm sorry for the delay.

Cheerios!

#6 ·
(I'm trying again because I replied to your message and to 'saghost' but the replies have just passed Saturn, the planet, not the car)

No, I was in regular 'D' mode. He pulled me over after coming to a stop at a traffic signal. On the side of the road he had me apply my brakes and then wrote the ticket.

Actually, he initially would not let me start the car to make the brake lights illuminate. Then he kept asking whether I turned off the car and even had me put my keys on the roof!

As you can see, it wasn't a pleasant night!

#4 ·
It is possible the Highway Patrol was in error and should have just given you a verbal warning.

I do not know of a single state that requires the third brake light in their vehicle code. It's a federal standard. So if it does not work, and the two lights in the VC do work, there is no law broken.

#5 ·
It is possible the Highway Patrol was in error and should have just given you a verbal warning.

I do not know of a single state that requires the third brake light in their vehicle code. So if it does not work, and the two lights in the VC do work, there is no law broken.
Actually, the office specifically mentioned that the CHMSL and "two of the brake lights" were working.

#9 ·
Lol. With proximity key on the roof, it might be able to start! This traffic cop needs some training.

#10 ·
I'm fixin to head to my dealer to look at the parts chart.

On a side note, I was wondering if there was a problem with the gm-volt.com site? I have had several posts not 'take' and one post by someone else disappear (I think from Qinsp which had a link to officer.com.)

Be back in a little while,

Cheerios!

#12 · (Edited)
The link I posted was not the path you should take, so I deleted it.

Some states have amended their Vehicle Code to say the car must comply with the FMVSS? (fed code) applicable to the date of manufacture for that model of vehicle.

The problem is, how is a LEO to know the FMVSS for every car model, every year? They can't. This is why judges throw out 3rd light tickets if contested.

So you COULD fight it based on that. "At the time of the infraction, did you know all the FMVSS codes that pertained to the 2015 Hupmobile Sport Edition Coupe lighting system?" "No." "Then why did you cite the vehicle if you did not know what the requirements were at the time?"

But why? You just need to find a cop, push the brake lights, have them see 3 lights, and they sign it off. Done.

Being is the right isn't the point. Getting the issue resolved is. Fastest way is to just handle like the LEO wrote you for a burned out light, even if there wasn't one.

#13 ·
My last inspection that I had for a mini van the the 3rd light was out, the inspector told me I had failed, but once she try to get a computer code for the failure there was none, and thus had to pass me. And although I live in NJ, outside of Ca we have what I believe to be the second toughest vehicle inspection laws in the country. So I would assume there is nothing on the books for Alabama for a third light out. So instead of looking to find the parts I would look into the vehicle inspection laws for Alabama and see what is required. Should not take too much time. take a printed inspection codes to your Hwy Patrol in your state have them remove it. The codes must be published these things are not done in secret.

#16 · (Edited)
I just got a "fix it ticket" by the highway patrol for inoperative brake lights. The officer even showed me a pic of a Volt on his phone with brake lights in the hatch.
LOL! The hatch portion of the lights are just reflectors. If the officer had a picture showing otherwise, it was either a custom modification, or the reflection of the camera's lights in the reflectors. Sorry to hear about the bad luck, but the officer is mistaken so you should be able to contest this pretty easily.

I would suggest trying to call him or his department directly, explain that you researched it etc. Heck, even send him a picture of this post! ;) If he doesn't cpncede, contest it through legal channels i.e. via a court date.

To repeat, the hatch itself only has reflectors. The portions right next to the hatch are the lights.

#18 ·
I imagine the officer was referring to the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Lamp) located just under the rear 'spoiler' between the rear lamps.

Just ignore the ricey LED strips next to each stop light, I'm referring to the higher lamp in the middle :)

* As I re-review the responses (they didn't show up when I initially replied for some reason), if he was referring to the reflectors next to each brake light, then yes, the officer was mistaken. Maybe he has the modded picture above on his phone LOL

#23 ·
No, the CHMSL *is* working correctly.

The left and right lights / brake lights / turn signals are working correctly.

The part the officer was referring to were the lights in the hatch outside the small vertical window not working, which I now know are definitely reflectors and the photo he had was similar to the one you showed that have been modified. (And a neat modification, I might add.)

#25 ·
Ticket was cancelled

Okay, I drove to the highway patrol office they gave me and everyone was very nice. I showed them the ticket which showed "inop brake lamps/hatch." One officer walked out to the car, looked at my documentation and said a choice word about the other officer.

It took about 15 minutes for them to get my information (again) and said they would mail a notification that the ticket was cancelled by Friday.

A big thanks to everyone for the confirmation as to how the Volt was equipped lighting-wise.

Now expect a few more less pressing questions in the future. I know I want to put LED lights in the interior, a brighter LED backup bulb, color match the silver 'grille' and find a way to mount my phone. (I'd like better headlights but I'm scared of that mod as I've read about HIDs affecting braking systems.)

And who knows, if I can make the tail light mod match the factory lights... hehe

#27 ·
Well, this is the thread I was referencing on this site:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...l-s-joke-HIDs-NO-BRAKES!&highlight=brakes+hid

Browsing around, I've heard of other similar problems after adding HID lights. Not a huge problem, but enough to give me pause. I need to research the systems and would get one. I'd like to put the power on a scope to see if there is something there causing the problem. I could see solutions like isolating the ballast power from the rest of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.