GM Volt Forum banner

NextEV Electric Supercar

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BAZINGA 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Not another supercar!?! I think we're flooded with new car companies trying to make supercars with great acceleration and speed, when all I want is an EV awd CUV or SUV that can get me just a little over the speed limit.

#4 ·
Keep in mind that engineering and tech that has been getting into our cars for decades sometimes starts at the track. I think that is the idea here too, just EV style. The good engineers building these machines directly, or indirectly, give engineers at GM, Tesla and all the manufacturers looking to get in the EV space something to look at and think about. Just like that video of the Tesla engineers flooding out of their building and taking a look at the Bolt when the Motor Trend guys (pretty sure it was them) brought a Bolt to the Tessa building. The Tesla guys were more than happy to poke and prod around the Bolt and check it out.

#5 ·
Great, another toy for the UBER rich. Enough with all the waste of engineering and costs associated with building so called Electric Super Cars. Folks want RANGE, LOWER COSTS and FAST CHARGING allowing coast to coast travel and everywhere in between.

Oh and have you seen what Tesla is doing to their P cars? Limiting how many times an owner can go WOT. Suddenly your P Model S becomes an S. Folks are rightly upset.

We need more Cow Bell, err RANGE.

#6 ·
It doesn't limit it that much, maybe 10% or so. This isn't unique to Tesla from my understanding, and even an ICE is naturally limited. When pushed hard the engine might have a life of hours, not months of continuous run time. For example, unlikely a street engine would make 24 hours at a race track, but could easily make 2500 hours (150,000 miles at 60 mph) driven gently. Doing Ludicrous launches all the time is a good way to shorten the life of your battery and drive train.

Supercars are generally done to get interest from the press, but I agree, they have become less interesting, at least to me, as I could never really buy one. I think it is time to mix it up, as there are many 1000 hp cars being shown. Loses its appeal.

#7 · (Edited)
I've owned and tracked Corvette's, while tracking took it's toll, at the end of the day I still had a Corvette/Z06, GM didn't sneak into my car in the middle of the night and reduce it's HP/TQ. And yes if I broke it at the track I bought it. That's what Tesla should do. Re-sale is going to take a major hit, consider someone looking to buy a P only to find out it's been neutered.

That I think is the main difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.