Bolt Standard received on 12/31/16 - 1st review
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Standard received on 12/31/16 - 1st review

Sorry about the bad sales experience.

The Bolt uses your phone for Nav, and the HomeLink garage door opener was dropped with Gen 2 Volt as well. I assume it's a licensing cost issue.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the saying "trust but verify" comes to mind when dealing with Russia or a car salesrep. Then there is the Chevy Bolt configurator website so you can be an educated consumer before going to the dealer.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 84,576 miles, 135 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 74%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1366 miles, 125
    MPG, 65% Electric, 33% gas, Saved 48 gal., 27 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SolarExec View Post
    Sorry to hear. It is very frustrating to spend $40k on a vehicle only to discover the stereo is crappy and the other electronics are mediocre. The low-end electronics was one of the key reasons the Bolt was a complete non-starter for us. I have no interest in Nav but GM has refused to offer any of the decent electronics even as an option (automatic collision breaking, parking assist, front and rear braking, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, pedestrian warning, etc.). My kid's $23,000 Subaru offers most of these. They seem to be stuck in the old mindset of bundling features you do not want to get features you do and reserving the decent electronics for their luxury sub-brands. After five years of living with the Volt, I am done with GM until they get their act together with OTA software updates (which they are finally promising) and I see evidence that they are keeping their vehicle software up-to-date.
    Including 8% tax, after all discounts, I paid $28k for a 2017 Volt with the features you listed and more including ACC, deluxe sound, CP/AAuto, Teen Driver, HOV access, and it has 53mi of "gas" every morning. I'm not seeing any 2017 Subaru that compares at $28k. Enlighten me.

The Bolt does not have ACC or embedded NAV though. Loaded for me (no dealer added options, no premium paint) is <$36k after 8% tax. It has a primary feature that the Volt (or Subaru) does not have. 238 miles of gas every morning and virtually no maintenance.
    Ménage à trois - 2017, 2016 and 2013 Volts.
    Tesla Model 3 Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by socalif View Post
    So buyer beware, and be armed with the knowledge that the Bolt's very high price for the Standard version, comes with very basic features, as compared to many other vehicles.
    From the carping that you are doing after the fact, it appears that you did not follow the advice you are now giving others. Sad.

It amazes me that anyone would spend upwards of $40,000 without having done the due diligence that would have shown all that you are now complaining about - after your purchase. I'm embarrassed for you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

My ELR has everything 'missing' from this Bolt build except 238mi range. (Leave off the 2, lol.)

- rain sense wipers - check
    - homelink - check
    - NAV w/traffic - check
    - Bose - check
    - Leather (and power seats) - check
    - PRNDL on the floor - check (I hate the new GM shifter!)
    - ACC - check
    - Price. Well ok, ELR is a little higher than a Bolt, but, not by much. I paid $43k after incentives. New.

ELR has something else important to me that Bolt doesn't have: Long distance travel.

If my ELR dies, I'll get another one used. There is nothing out there yet that is better for me.
    Last edited by Loboc; 01-11-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    Driving a show car. Every day!

Don't Pokemon and drive!

---—------—------—------—---
    2014 Crystal Red ELR (REDD) code R w/Cashmere interior
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 10.2 on iPhone 6. MyCadillac App version 3.3.0
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jbakerjonathan View Post
    From the carping that you are doing after the fact, it appears that you did not follow the advice you are now giving others. Sad.

It amazes me that anyone would spend upwards of $40,000 without having done the due diligence that would have shown all that you are now complaining about - after your purchase. I'm embarrassed for you.
    +1

No one to blame but himself. Buying $25 in stuff at Walgreens and you don't notice the bagger missed bagging your condoms? That's one thing.
    Not confirming the FORTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR you just bought is to spec? Simply irresponsible.
    2017 Arctic Blue Metallic Bolt EV
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ClarksonCote View Post
    I'm pretty sure NO Bolt trim has Nav. I think the reasoning is that Apple Car Play and Android Auto give Nav and traffic capabilities with up to date maps and traffic without the need for subscriptions and updates.
    Exactly. I'm guessing that 99-100% of potential BOLT purchasers owns a smart phone (and >95% of that group probably runs one of Andriod or iOS.) The question is, why would anyone pay the potential $700 premium for a Nav system. Even if you were 'roaming with your phone' on road trips, $700 buys an awful lot of data.

Even on the Gen2 VOLT it was an option, one I happily did not include in the Vehicle build!
    Last edited by khalfyard; 01-11-2017 at 04:47 PM.
    2017 Volt, Heather Grey Metallic, Premier Trim, with no extras, Michelin Energy Saver Tires
    2012 Nissan Leaf, Silver, SL Trim, Pirelli Cinturato P7 Tires

Sorry to hear. It is very frustrating to spend $40k on a vehicle only to discover the stereo is crappy and the other electronics are mediocre. The low-end electronics was one of the key reasons the Bolt was a complete non-starter for us. I have no interest in Nav but GM has refused to offer any of the decent electronics even as an option (automatic collision breaking, parking assist, front and rear braking, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, pedestrian warning, etc.). My kid's $23,000 Subaru offers most of these. They seem to be stuck in the old mindset of bundling features you do not want to get features you do and reserving the decent electronics for their luxury sub-brands. After five years of living with the Volt, I am done with GM until they get their act together with OTA software updates (which they are finally promising) and I see evidence that they are keeping their vehicle software up-to-date.
    You have a point, but I think it's important to remember that cars like Volt/Bolt have to cut costs and weight because you have to pay for the expensive battery and motors. People have complained about the Volt being $40k and not having power seats or some other widget like every other $40k car has. Well, it's not like every other car, it has an engine and a battery + motors that have cost (and weight), so you have to skimp elsewhere to keep the overall cost reasonable. The Volt's (small) battery alone was estimated to cost $8-10k when the Volt was first delivered (and it was widely believed they still lost money on the car). I suspect the $5k price cut in MY2013 was due to battery costs finally coming down. If battery costs hadn't budged since then, the Bolt pack would be $30k on its own... as it is, it's probably closer to $10-15k right now. Add in motor costs, and I'm guessing that's way above the average car's engine/drivetrain cost. So they have to skimp elsewhere. I'm guessing the base Model 3 will be similarly spartan, but the difference is that Tesla will at least offer the upgrades as an option (and charge a lot for them). As I understand it, the $7500 tax credit was attempt to temporarily bridge this gap until costs could come down, so if you think of the Volt as a 35k-7.5k = 28k car, it probably competes better.
    2013 Summit White with comfort package. Picked up 9/6/13.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content .

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsherpa View Post
    You have a point, but I think it's important to remember that cars like Volt/Bolt have to cut costs and weight because you have to pay for the expensive battery and motors. People have complained about the Volt being $40k and not having power seats or some other widget like every other $40k car has. Well, it's not like every other car, it has an engine and a battery + motors that have cost (and weight), so you have to skimp elsewhere to keep the overall cost reasonable. The Volt's (small) battery alone was estimated to cost $8-10k when the Volt was first delivered (and it was widely believed they still lost money on the car). I suspect the $5k price cut in MY2013 was due to battery costs finally coming down. If battery costs hadn't budged since then, the Bolt pack would be $30k on its own... as it is, it's probably closer to $10-15k right now. Add in motor costs, and I'm guessing that's way above the average car's engine/drivetrain cost. So they have to skimp elsewhere. I'm guessing the base Model 3 will be similarly spartan, but the difference is that Tesla will at least offer the upgrades as an option (and charge a lot for them). As I understand it, the $7500 tax credit was attempt to temporarily bridge this gap until costs could come down, so if you think of the Volt as a 35k-7.5k = 28k car, it probably competes better.
    You have some points, however, unlike the "unnamed source" who claims the Bolt EV loses $9K, the former CEO of GM said the Gen1 Volt lost money on production alone...Now it's claimed the Bolt EV batteries are only $145/kWh...GM took the ICE Spark and turned it into the Spark EV, for 2016 the MSRP is $25,120...The Bolt EV started on the Sonic platform and at some point evolved into it's own platform but they're going to build the Gen2 ICE Sonic on the same platform and the Bolt EV is still built at the Sonic plant...You just have to wonder, if they "EV'ed" the sonic hatchback, like they did the ICE Spark; forget about the "car sharing in mind", forget about the "aero disaster" where they had to change the windshield rake several times, forget about an aluminum body, forget about maximizing space if they could have had a $29,995 Sonic Hatchback EV...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

I read somewhere that the Bolt EV firmware can be updated OTA. Also, unlike the G2 Volt, the Driver Confidence 1 package can be had on the LT.

Homelink seems to be disappearing from lots of cars - not just GMs. With the LT, it would be fairly easy to swap in a Homelink-equipped rear view mirror - same as Lexus and others use. Premier has the nifty rear camera mirror, so no-go there.

I actually like the built-in nav in my Volt, and use it a lot. But can see how many would rather just have the car project the maps and traffic from their phones. Wish Apple would get a waze interface going...
    2016 Premier - Red/brandy w/DC 1, 2, and Nav (built 10/15)
    Added: Sport pedals, Illum chg port, all weather mats, sill plates, Cruze spare tire...

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
    +1

No one to blame but himself. Buying $25 in stuff at Walgreens and you don't notice the bagger missed bagging your condoms? That's one thing.
    Not confirming the FORTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR you just bought is to spec? Simply irresponsible.
    Walking out of Walgreens without your condoms could potentially lead to a situation costing much, much more than $40K over the ensuing 20 year period. Bro, apply the same diligence in Walgreens as you do with your car transactions and stay responsible out there...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text