GM Volt Forum banner

Bolt Standard received on 12/31/16 - 1st review

9K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  jbakerjonathan 
#1 ·
Received my Bolt on 12/31/16 which I would bet would make me one of the first few owners in CA, and so far the Bolt is a pretty good vehicle.

Although, I would NOT recommend buying the standard version. Just upgrade to the Premier.

The standard version is quite standard, and if you are used to any luxuries, this IS NOT anything more than basic.

Before purchasing the car, we asked if it had NAV, he looked at the screen being large and said both versions include NAV. He also said both versions come with a top of the line stereo system. He said the ONLY differences between the standard and Premier is that the Premier has leather and a lot more safety features. (I know it should be the buyer's due diligence to check these things before leaving, but......a 10" screen with no Nav? Really?)

Since the vehicle just came in that morning, and was getting cleaned to sell, we just got to sit in it and drive it in the parking lot. (no Nav needed, and just the radio on basically)

Now that we have the car, tried to find Nav, and now they state that they never said that, and that the only Nav is Apple Play, which is a Far Cry from Nav with Traffic, which we have on all other vehicles. And the stereo really is pretty basic. Speakers are basic, and the sound is basic. As compared to my 2013 Cmax which came stock with a Sub, Nav, traffic, etc. The Bolt doesnt even come with rain sensing wipers! I put on 58,000 miles in 3 years on my CMax Energi, so comparing is easy. Another small strange shocker was to get home and assume there is HomeLink, and find out the Bolt doesnt offer it. Pretty easy Chevy item to add as a standard feature, but it isnt there!

So far, the mileage estimates seem quite close. Really good in city, and looks like getting about 190/200 at more than 50% use of the freeway. The sport mode is quite spry, which makes this vehicle actually a little fun to drive.

Comfort and roominess seems better than the Cmax, and the trunk is spacious compared to the Cmax, only smaller rear passenger area, but vehicle leaves a lot more room in the garage, which makes it easier to move around.

There does seem to be an issue when going from forward/reverse, to park, if the car isnt totally stopped for over a second, if you press Park, then let off on the brake pedal to quickly, the car jumps and makes a clunk noise, or has a few times for me already.

So buyer beware, and be armed with the knowledge that the Bolt's very high price for the Standard version, comes with very basic features, as compared to many other vehicles.

See less See more
#2 ·
Why didja order a basic trim if ya wanted more? Seems kind of silly to complain about it.

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure NO Bolt trim has Nav. I think the reasoning is that Apple Car Play and Android Auto give Nav and traffic capabilities with up to date maps and traffic without the need for subscriptions and updates.

#26 · (Edited)
Exactly. I'm guessing that 99-100% of potential BOLT purchasers owns a smart phone (and >95% of that group probably runs one of Andriod or iOS.) The question is, why would anyone pay the potential $700 premium for a Nav system. Even if you were 'roaming with your phone' on road trips, $700 buys an awful lot of data.

Even on the Gen2 VOLT it was an option, one I happily did not include in the Vehicle build!

#7 ·
I have looked through the order guide and also all over the build & price on Chevy's site, don't recall seeing navigation listed.

I have navigation on my 2016 Volt and let the XM traffic expire and just use carplay with apple maps and the nav/traffic have worked fine for me - so it's no big deal to me that my 2017 Bolt won't have built-in nav.

#16 ·
Yep, Android Auto with Pandora is so good that I, too, let my XM expire. And no, the Bolt does not have Nav available at any level...

I have navigation on my 2016 Volt and let the XM traffic expire and just use carplay with apple maps and the nav/traffic have worked fine for me - so it's no big deal to me that my 2017 Bolt won't have built-in nav.

#8 ·
Sorry to hear you didn't get what you wanted. Trusting sales people is always tricky.

To late for you but maybe other reading might use these two items to help make sure that they get what they want. The chevy configurator webiste that lets you build what you want and has info bubbles for questions.
http://chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle/build-your-own.html

And if people need to more info then ther is also the ordering guide
https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/

As for the NAV, you might try out android auto and see if you think its better. Maybe a friend can let you borrow their android phone for a short drive. A lot of people on the G2 Volt forum prefer android auto with google maps to apple maps. If you like it, you could do a hotspot on your iphone and buy a $30 android phone for AA, then use bluetooth on chevy mylink for your phone calls and google maps with your $30 android.

As for homelink, the G2 volt forum has a thread by teksavy where you can add homelink to your car if your handy, but you'd have to tap into some power near your Onstar overhead console.

Good luck and try to enjoy yiur new ride.

#9 · (Edited)
Everyone's tastes are a little different, but I am unsure of what other vehicle in the price class has a 10" touch screen that works with Android Auto and Apple Car play. I much prefer Google Maps to built in Nav. Honestly, the Bolt EV has the features I want, but would probably get a loaded Premier for leather and cameras and rear heated seats and such. Honestly, I don't really see anything missing from spec sheet for me, even the base model has some nice features like HID lights.

#10 · (Edited)
I was also very surprised NAV isn't even an option especially since it does have a GPS antenna which is used to determine location based charging. I don't like using maps on my phone all the time, I sometimes prefer the in-car nav so I completely get what you're saying. Wireless apple car play would have been a nice option.

However, I am shocked about the garage link, not even the premium trim has this option? I wouldn't have even thought to look to see if it has a garage door opener, especially at the $43,500 MSRP price I am looking at. Plus, most people will charge inside their garage.

#11 ·
Before my Volt, my cars have had HomeLink for 15+ years. I bought a nice transmitter, 3 buttons that clips on the visor (or you can use the one that came with your garage door if you can find it) for $25 on Amazon, programmed it in 30 seconds and have not missed HomeLink one bit. I thought I would miss it, knew the Volt didn't have it when I bought it, but I don't. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions, for me it's a non-issue.

Also, if you'd like to hide the transmitter just put some velcro on it, stick it up and under the center console and that will work as well.

#12 · (Edited)
There was discussion on a thread months ago suggesting that a future year model may have built in NAV but the 2017 Bolt was not ready for it becuase forum member speculated based on bit and pieces of info that the NAV would be integrate to provide information and mileage to charging stations. Maybe integrated with plugin or some other app. That would be a cool option if they offered it next year.

To the OP, the G2 Volt Forum has a poll to see what people like best: NAV, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, or other (GPS unit, waze on phone, etc.). You'd be surprised to see that Nav only ahead of Andrioid Auto by a nose. If AA ever gets waze then that will be a game changer and I'd be that AA would beat the NAV.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?239089-Smartphone-Navigation-vs-Built-in-(My-Experiences)

#13 ·
Since you are un-happy with your decision/purchase I'd bet you could sell the Bolt for what you paid for it minus the federal tax credit very quickly. There seems to be a ready and willing buyer pool.

Cheers

#14 ·
I saw someone in AZ on FB offer $38.5k to a person that was waffling on whether to purchase the loaded MSRP $43.9k Premier Bolt they pre-ordered. Demand is definitely there.

#15 ·
Hello, neighbor! I'm sorry you aren't happy with the trim available, but yes, the Premier really isn't that much of an upgrade over the LT. Most of the essential features are universal to all trim levels. Part of your issue might be that the C-Max was a "last generation" car, while the Bolt EV is moving in a different direction. The functionality of the Bolt's interface is very limited, but it appears GM did so on purpose. They understand that at this point, most drivers have smart phones, and they would prefer to use their phone's interface if given the chance. The solution? Project that interface on a large, driver friendly screen.

I currently have both an SE C-Max and an LT Bolt EV, and I can tell you that the two cars are worlds apart. People tell me that the Energi handles far better and has way more power than its hybrid counterpart, and it would have in order even be compared with the Bolt EV. They just aren't even in the same class.

#17 ·
Of all the Bolt EV's features/options omissions, rain sensing wipers are at the very the bottom and as stated a car audio shop can install that feature often very affordably...Same with an universal homelink remote and while a little more pricey, could have the audio shop wire up an amp with new speakers...You have Nav options, many report the Volt's Nav STINKS, personally I've been in many cars and in super congested L.A. no OEM system has outperformed google maps/Waze (Apple has greatly improved in L.A. but still not to google/Waze's level)...

Wish list should include items that cannot be added, personally I'll bet that DCFC and C2 (specifically auto braking) will be made standard on all trims for the mid cycle refresh...Also would love some sort of automation whether that's ACC, super cruise or something else but I'll bet unless there's some sort of breakthrough, private parties won't be able to buy one with the Gen1 Bolt EV...

#18 ·
If I could have my way, I'd go with a standard Bolt with leather seats. I prefer the standard model for the absence of the roof rails and the plain wheels which I would get powder-coated after I take delivery. But cloth seats would not work given my lifestyle - keeping them free of dirt and dog hair would be a constant, losing battle that I just wouldn't want to fight.

#19 ·
Sorry to hear. It is very frustrating to spend $40k on a vehicle only to discover the stereo is crappy and the other electronics are mediocre. The low-end electronics was one of the key reasons the Bolt was a complete non-starter for us. I have no interest in Nav but GM has refused to offer any of the decent electronics even as an option (automatic collision breaking, parking assist, front and rear braking, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, pedestrian warning, etc.). My kid's $23,000 Subaru offers most of these. They seem to be stuck in the old mindset of bundling features you do not want to get features you do and reserving the decent electronics for their luxury sub-brands. After five years of living with the Volt, I am done with GM until they get their act together with OTA software updates (which they are finally promising) and I see evidence that they are keeping their vehicle software up-to-date.

#22 ·
Including 8% tax, after all discounts, I paid $28k for a 2017 Volt with the features you listed and more including ACC, deluxe sound, CP/AAuto, Teen Driver, HOV access, and it has 53mi of "gas" every morning. I'm not seeing any 2017 Subaru that compares at $28k. Enlighten me.

The Bolt does not have ACC or embedded NAV though. Loaded for me (no dealer added options, no premium paint) is <$36k after 8% tax. It has a primary feature that the Volt (or Subaru) does not have. 238 miles of gas every morning and virtually no maintenance.

#20 ·
We love the Onstar in our 2104 VOLT and 2016 Cruze. I can't imagine why one needs Nav, w/ Onstar? As far as auto wipers, really? Is it so arduous to switch them to delay?

#21 ·
Sorry about the bad sales experience.

The Bolt uses your phone for Nav, and the HomeLink garage door opener was dropped with Gen 2 Volt as well. I assume it's a licensing cost issue.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the saying "trust but verify" comes to mind when dealing with Russia or a car salesrep. Then there is the Chevy Bolt configurator website so you can be an educated consumer before going to the dealer.

#23 ·
So buyer beware, and be armed with the knowledge that the Bolt's very high price for the Standard version, comes with very basic features, as compared to many other vehicles.
From the carping that you are doing after the fact, it appears that you did not follow the advice you are now giving others. Sad.

It amazes me that anyone would spend upwards of $40,000 without having done the due diligence that would have shown all that you are now complaining about - after your purchase. I'm embarrassed for you.

#25 ·
+1

No one to blame but himself. Buying $25 in stuff at Walgreens and you don't notice the bagger missed bagging your condoms? That's one thing.
Not confirming the FORTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR you just bought is to spec? Simply irresponsible.

#24 · (Edited)
My ELR has everything 'missing' from this Bolt build except 238mi range. (Leave off the 2, lol.)

- rain sense wipers - check
- homelink - check
- NAV w/traffic - check
- Bose - check
- Leather (and power seats) - check
- PRNDL on the floor - check (I hate the new GM shifter!)
- ACC - check
- Price. Well ok, ELR is a little higher than a Bolt, but, not by much. I paid $43k after incentives. New.

ELR has something else important to me that Bolt doesn't have: Long distance travel.

If my ELR dies, I'll get another one used. There is nothing out there yet that is better for me.

#32 ·
Thus the reason for a lease and not a purchase, only so many years to have to put up with things that are missing, and to have the option to move to a better equipped car within 3 years, a car I will list and individually check for each and every wanted option, and to NEVER believe what a salesman says..... LOL

#37 ·
Yes everybody, I do accept the "end" responsibility of the items missing. BUT I have never had an issue with a salesman stating features are there, and them not being there afterwards. But like everyone else, I have had sales people make incorrect statements, but for one, this was this dealerships Finance Manager, all sales people were busy, or not in yet.

Was it a deal killer? Obviously not, and I got what I deserved/inspected. (or didnt inspect) So I will enjoy the vehicle I have, and deal with it.

My main goal is to make anyone else aware, that the obvious and the little things you would expect, and what appears to be the norm, just isnt there and so no one else has to experience my mistakes.

Applemaps just isnt a Nav system, although it may be more updated, but can you zoom in and out or change the view from a moving screen to a static flat north/south looking screen like you can on Nav? Not that I have figured out. One level of zoom and one mode of viewing is all I have been able to see. (not how I have used nav for 10 years) So not used to it yet.

Homelink is a lot better than carrying around a remote which can be easily taken out/stolen, Homelink not so much. And for $40g's, a $100 Homelink preinstalled would be a good GM fix, for those who use it.

#39 ·
Built-in Homelink is great, unless it's the type that works whether or not the car is on, or if the ignition key is or isn't present.

In three of our Toyota's that came with Homelink (2004 Sienna, 2005 Prius, 2016 Highlander), the Homelink buttons were active whether or not you had the key on you or the car was on. 2011 Mini Countryman, on the other hand, Homelink buttons only worked when the car was on. A minor security issue with the Toyotas. Pretty much on the same level as carrying around a remote clipped to your visor, which is what I have to do with for my 2012 Plug-in Prius Base (no Homelink on that trim level).

Lack of Homelink is such a minor thing in the grand scheme of this car. A small garage door remote that you can carry on your keychain is less than $30 on Amazon.

#40 ·
I don't agree that Homelink is a minor thing. I don't think auto-diming rear view mirror is a minor thing, yet both cost little to install and every car should have them. If you can put in power windows, then the other two items for safety and security should be installed. I, like many, enter our homes via the garage. Having a Homelink that doesn't work when power is off is the best way to handle this. I can open my garage with an app on my phone, but I am guessing that app isn't going to show up as one of the apps in AA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.