GM Volt Forum banner

Service battery charging system

21K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  profkwame 
#1 ·
Hi kindly help, my Chevrolet volt 2013 battery is not charging. I have replaced the 12volts battery buy it keeps shutting down even if I jump start it it doesn't get charged. The dashboard dtc shows service battery charging system. The volt is out of the coverage of onstar so they cant run checks. Please advice if there is anything I need to reset.

#2 ·
A long shot, try disconnecting the 12v battery at the terminals for a while, (longer is better).
If it isn't a hardware issue, this may be enough to reboot the computers, re-syncing and perhaps resolve the problem.

If you can get hold of a car battery charger and fully charge the battery while it is out, that would lengthen the disconnected state for one, and help the battery condition too.

#3 · (Edited)
Nigeria... Bit of a ways away from a GM dealership?

Sounds like it might be an issue with the APM which converts 360V to 14V. Do you have access to an OBDII code reader?

There is also a couple big fuses immediately adjacent to the 12V battery. I believe the black fuse on the right leads to the APM.

#4 ·
Could you please clarify which battery you are talking about? What is the exact message? It sounds to me like you may be talking about the main (traction) battery, which is a quite different problem than the 12v battery.

#6 ·
Uhh, he did?

SERVICE BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM
This message displays when there is a fault in the 12-volt battery charging system. Take the vehicle to your dealer for service.
To start with I would check those fuses, check that all terminals are tight, and check for codes relating to the APM

#7 ·
Thanks all. It's actually the service battery charging system that pops on. I have removed the battery terminals and bought a new battery with same capacity fully charged but I get same error code. I can't seem to trace the apm or is there a fuse box for it in the hood. I know it's something that is not charging the 12volt battery not the high voltage charger.
Kindly advise as I can't get Chevy service around. Will get and obd and run a scan too.

#8 ·
Replacing my OBCM

You may have an issue with the Lear 3.3kW High Voltage Charger on your Gen1. The on board charger keeps the 12V AGM topped-off during the charging cycle and this can be tested by performing the following:

With the Volt OFF and 12V AGM connected, begin a charge by plugging in your EVSE. After a couple of min, check the DC Voltage between B+ and chassis ground. It should indicate @13VDC. Lift the negative cable off of the 12V AGM removing it from the circuit. Your Volt should continue charging uninterrupted and there should continue to be @13VDC present between B+ and chassis ground.

#9 ·
You may have an issue with the Lear 3.3kW High Voltage Charger on your Gen1.
I wouldn't think that would cause the symptoms described here. If the OBC was bad the 12V battery would still be charged via the APM any time the Volt was "running". Think of the handful of Volts that are never plugged in (thus no OBC use)

In the picture I posted above, the wire shown on the right hand side with the red 90° angle is the one that connects to the APM. The APM is also in the trunk adjacent to the battery: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...12-volt-battery-charged&p=1755057#post1755057

If the black fuse tests OK (zero ohms) and all the related fuse bolts are tight, I would also verify all of the bolts on the left side of the APM. With luck it's nothing more than a loose connection otherwise a replacement APM may be in order.

#10 ·
Hi o finally got a technician to open the trunk and checked apm out everything was tight no loose bolts or screws. The only fuse I saw is attached and a picture of the apm and battery is attached.
I removed the fuse do I can take it for the test but I don't know what to test for.
Kindly advise please as am stuck with the reality of no Chevy volt technicians or service station around.
Thanks

Attachments

#11 ·
With the Volt OFF and 12V AGM connected, begin a charge by plugging in your EVSE. After a couple of min, check the DC Voltage between B+ and chassis ground. It should indicate @13VDC. Lift the negative cable off of the 12V AGM removing it from the circuit. Your Volt should continue charging uninterrupted and there should continue to be @13VDC present between B+ and chassis ground.

Nice pic of a fuse...did you even try the test suggested over a month ago!?:confused:

#15 · (Edited)
#17 ·
aloysiusokino,
The OBDII is located on the left-hand side of the driver's side inside the car just under the dash. I believe that by law they have to be within 3' of the driver. I use a bluetooth unit that is wireless and powered by the car. I have found that the TORQ app on my android phone will clear the codes. I think the bluetooth OBDII unit was $30 and the TORQ app was about $3. I hope this helps.

I'm having a 360V problem and the car will not charge.

#18 ·
Hi and thanks for all the help. I finally decided to get the APM on ebay as am left with no choice in view of the lack of chevrolet service station here.
I did the check by starting the car after charging the battery full and used a volt meter to read the volt. it was 13 volts while off and when I start the car and read again it is 12 volts maybe because the car is runing and door was open.
Is it not supposed to read above 13volts when charging

#19 ·
Hello can anyone walk me through how to test my volt 12v charging system. I want to buy an APM but want to be sure before I buy. There is no Chevrolet volt service station here.
I have done a test buy charging the 12volt battery full and the voltmeter read 13volts while car is off. I then started the Chevrolet volt, the petrol engine also came on and I took the reading with engine on it was 12volts.
Any idea if this is an indication that the APM is bad? Note that I also took readings with the voltmeter from APM cables and it was same with battery reading

#20 ·
Suppose a decent way to confirm your APM is working would be as simple as removing the 12V AGM voltage while the Volt was turned ON and confirming your Volt continues to operate and behave normally, i.e no check engine lights.

This can be accomplished by removing the negative battery lead off the top of the 12V AGM while the car is turned ON. Keep in mind the Volt requires 12V AGM voltage initially to turn on but then the 12V AGM circuit can be removed with the negative lead and the Volt can still be driven just as normal since I have done this before!;)

#22 ·
The 12 volt AGM is the 12 volt battery in the back under the hatch floor. The APM is the Auxiliary Power Module. It takes the place of the alternator in an ICE car. There is NO alternator in a Volt.

#24 ·
Hi everyone. When I remove the negative of the AGM battery the vehicle goes off instantly. Is that a confirmation that the APM is not charging?
You've proven that the AGM is not charging the 12v battery. What you don't know is whether the APM is bad or whether the APM is not receiving the power it needs to operate. Do you know whether the logic circuits of the APM use the 12v battery? If so, there could be a fuse feeding it. Or, one of the connections to the APM could be loose or a cable could be broken. Too many possibilities for me to recommend swapping out parts.

When you measured the 13v with the car powered off, you didn't have the EVSE plugged in by any chance did you? That is a bit high for a battery sitting idle.

#26 ·
Hello Aloysiusokino, I have this exact same problem on my 2011 volt. I have also replaced the APM with one purchased from ebay but the "Service battery system" alarm remains together with all the symptoms you describe above.

I wanted to know if you did any soft configuration or programming after physically replacing the APM. I also do not have a service station here in Ghana and can only hope to get this fixed myself. Any helpful information will be appreciated.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.