GM Volt Forum banner

ELR replacement tires...

28K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  BigW 
#1 ·
At 20K, the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS tires on my ELR are done. I can't wait to get them off my car. Both are down to 2/32 in the front, 4/32 right rear, 8/32 left rear - that tire was replaced by Firestone last February. These won't make it through a winter here in Pittsburgh, and the RE97AS is one of the lowest rated tires on Tire Rack. Car has had regular rotations starting at 7322 miles, and every 7500 miles after that.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...llac&autoYear=2014&autoModel=ELR&autoModClar=

Long story short, the OEM Potenza tires have a no mileage warranty, and wear out is not covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. Been shopping for tires, and I'm looking for a good tire that's good in the wet, light snow, and has a reasonable mileage warranty.

Looking at the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06, and the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S. Leaning towards the BFG as I detect some of Michelin technology from the Pilot Sport series trickled down to the Comp-2 A/S – and they are at a competitive price point. No Michelin tires were available in a 245/40R20, I'd have to bump up to a 245/40R20. A really tall tire like that would look a little odd on the ELR.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Shop the Tire Rack online. Try to match the specs close to the OEM for tread width. If you install a wider tire your EV range and also gas mileage will suffer. According to the link the spec is 8.6 " wide on those Bridgestones, other tires in that size are over 9" wide. Try to avoid the wide choices.

#3 ·
So, presumably these are all year round tires, so no snows. I think the Contis would be my preferred choice then, though I admittedly know nothing about the BFGs and the possible trickle down tech from the PilotSports. If the ELR is hard on tires, and not just OEM tires, then you might want to consider rotating them more often, every 5000 miles.

#4 · (Edited)
At 30k miles, mine are starting to make death noises as well. I don't need snows here in TX.

I want the quietest tire available regardless of range effect. Price is secondary.

In order of my want list:
- Quiet, primary consideration.
- good looking, so can be plus size
- traction/handling, OEM or better
- efficiency, can be less efficient
- longevity, 30k or better
- price, depends on other specs.

Suggestions?

#5 ·
I put a set of Pirelli's on my wife's Subaru and have been very pleased with them. They are quiet, handle very well, and are wearing better than expected. We live in NE Pennsylvania and see quite a bit of snow and the Pirelli's provide reasonable traction in snow and ice. Overall I think they are a very good tire at a very competitive price. I will probably go with them for my Volt when the time comes.

#7 ·
There were no Michelin tires available for 245/40R20 - would have to up to a 245/45R20

Text Green Font Line Parallel

And as far as the tread width compared to the OEM Potenza tires, the difference is minuscule - BFG, 8.8, Bridgestone, 8.6. The Pirelli P7 tires a fairly skinny at 7.3.

Text Green Font Line Parallel

I decided to go with the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires after pouring through a boatload of reviews from Tire Rack and other sites. If I get close to 40K out of them, I'll be happy. It was suggested that rotation every 5K might be better for a UHP tire - will get with Cadillac service about that to adjust the service interval. Premium care provides free rotations and oil changes (not that I've needed one) every 7500 miles for 4 years of 50,000 miles. It will be interesting to see how a non low rolling resistance tire performs with this car. Stay tuned.

#8 ·
Hi myoda,

I know that this is probably too late since it looks like you made up your mind on the BF Goodrich G-Forces. Cooper Tire makes a new Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 that has received some very positive reviews. I myself have purchased Cooper tires in the past, and always had good luck with them. Keep us posted on your BF Goodrich G-Forces. Best of Luck!

#9 ·
Thanks Vn-Vet-Volt - could not have timed this purchase better. The snow was starting to fall as I was ready to leave. Props to Highland Tire for beating a Pep Boys price on the setup and install. These tires are actually pretty cool looking, and quiet. Can highly recommend the G-Force Comp-2 A/S as a replacement ultra high performance tire for the ELR or a Volt.

Property Parking Asphalt Garage Garage door
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Wheel

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwmH6e2GMW7qNldfU1JpMEZZVzlvM1ZPcEkyd1R0d1JYR0Jj

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwmH6e2GMW7qUnZTOGQ5bFFyZnRLZHlwd1VNcm1VX0dOdkow

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwmH6e2GMW7qV25zNTc4amZPNldfY0N4cEJMNDFIYmVQd3dB

#16 ·
Thanks Vn-Vet-Volt - could not have timed this purchase better. The snow was starting to fall as I was ready to leave. Props to Highland Tire for beating a Pep Boys price on the setup and install. These tires are actually pretty cool looking, and quiet. Can highly recommend the G-Force Comp-2 A/S as a replacement ultra high performance tire for the ELR or a Volt.

View attachment 126897 View attachment 126905 View attachment 126913

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwmH6e2GMW7qNldfU1JpMEZZVzlvM1ZPcEkyd1R0d1JYR0Jj

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwmH6e2GMW7qUnZTOGQ5bFFyZnRLZHlwd1VNcm1VX0dOdkow

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwmH6e2GMW7qV25zNTc4amZPNldfY0N4cEJMNDFIYmVQd3dB
Very sharp. I think all 3 of your choices were good ones, but the Comps look great.

#10 ·
I'm looking at Pirelli P-Zero in stock size.

Pirelli P-Zero 245 /40 R20 99Y XL BSW FO

The Pirelli's are known to be quiet, but, only last a short time (some reviews are saying 20k mi). They are called a 'summer tire' on DT site which is fine with me as we rarely get snow/ice.

Anybody have experience with these?

#15 ·
Have not been out in the snow yet. Not to slippy up here yet. There is actually a GM part number for these tires - 19337115. It is like driving a new car.

Text Font Line Screenshot Document

#18 ·
I guess the PZero would be a good summer tire, but I'd be concerned with the tread life.

#19 · (Edited)
At 800 miles on the new tires as of today. Pouring down rain on the PA Turnpike on the way back from Monroeville. No problems at 70 in the rain. They really stick! Not a lot of snow in this end of the state. trekguy77, did you replace your Bridgestones yet? Your car will thank you.

The tread pattern is pretty aggressive, but not noisy. Feel much more confident driving the car. It's very sporting to drive now.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Floor Automotive wheel system

update 2/11/17 900 miles later

My car has been very reliable since May 2015. If I were buying an ELR again, the first thing I'd do is replace the OEM Bridgestone tires - especially if you live in a place that gets snow or rain. The treadwear, noise, and lack of grip were awful at 15,000 miles with the OEM Potenza tires. We've had some pretty severe swings in weather over the last week, and the new tires (bf goodrich g-force comp2 A/S) are performing as advertised, especially when sport mode is engaged. The new tires totally improved the driving dynamic of the car.

#27 ·
At 800 miles on the new tires as of today. Pouring down rain on the PA Turnpike on the way back from Monroeville. No problems at 70 in the rain. They really stick! Not a lot of snow in this end of the state. trekguy77, did you replace your Bridgestones yet? Your car will thank you.

The tread pattern is pretty aggressive, but not noisy. Feel much more confident driving the car. It's very sporting to drive now.

View attachment 129513

update 2/11/17 900 miles later

My car has been very reliable since May 2015. If I were buying an ELR again, the first thing I'd do is replace the OEM Bridgestone tires - especially if you live in a place that gets snow or rain. The treadwear, noise, and lack of grip were awful at 15,000 miles with the OEM Potenza tires. We've had some pretty severe swings in weather over the last week, and the new tires (bf goodrich g-force comp2 A/S) are performing as advertised, especially when sport mode is engaged. The new tires totally improved the driving dynamic of the car.
Hi myoda,

How are the tyres holding up .... especially after a full winter season?

I am in Toronto, Canada ... picking up the ELR next weekend and wanted to buy replacement typres .... either I buy a set of winter tyre/rims or simply replace the tyres you mentioned.

BTW do you get a lot of snow in Pittsburgh, PA?

#20 ·
Resurrecting an old thread....
Last week I replaced the stock tires on my 2014 ELR. Since its a lease, and I am turning it in in 5 months, I went real cheap. I still got tires that exceeded load and speed ratings, tho. As long as it was a 'temporary' thing, I would have preferred a US Co.
I wound up with Hercules iMove Gen2 AS. I wasnt expecting much out of them, but holy cow is the difference night and day!
The ride is MUCH smoother and TONS quieter! I havent really leaned on them yet, so not sure about performance. But I really didnt think I would notice any difference and boy was I wrong. I dont know if that says 'good' things about these new shoes, or bad things about the stocks...
I have to say tho, that right off, I think I am noticing a big drop in EV range. It 'seems' it takes about 10% more power to do what I usually do. Its been cold here the past few days, and I didnt bother to add air, so I am running about 35PSI cold, I normally go 36-37PSI. The cold on the combination of the tire pressure and battery shows me losing a little over 10% range.
Reading up on LRR tires, no one seems to think they improve efficiency more than 3-7%. Maybe the Hercules are just that much stickier, but we'll see once the temps stabilize. If we were 20 degrees colder, I would say my "miles per charge" is normal. Just dont know how it sits right now....

#22 ·
Last week I replaced the stock tires on my 2014 ELR.
Huey Driver,
In the same boat as you. Can you post some more info about where you got these tires and how much they ran you? Guessing I could have them shipped to a local dealer but curious on how much you ended up paying for these. They were the 245/40/R20 correct?

#21 ·
Ok, so I've had a few weeks and I think I have settled things out.
BLUF, I guess I would say I lost about 10% range. Thats a lot, so I'm just not sure. Most of what I read said LRR only mattered 5-7%.
Here's what I have seen:
- I run the old and new tires at about 35-36 PSI. We've had such wild temp swings, lately they have been 34 when I get in the car in the morning.
- My 'range' is showing 38-39. With LRRs, it usually settled at about 44. I dont think I saw the 'range' much higher.
- I have not yet tried to do a max range run. In average DC traffic over varying terrain, but no real huge overall elevation gain, I was able to squeak out 49.9 miles on the LRRs. I think thats the best I ever did, but there are so many variables in there that I am not using that for comparison.

Now, I have no idea about the overall quality of these tires, and there are likely many better. But for the fantastic ride and the fact that they seem nearly silent, I would trade that 10% in a second! Where I used to work, my round trip commute was about 33 miles (70% interstate with light traffic), and I had free L2 chargers in the garage. I enjoyed being able to "commute for free" but I've always gotten terrible range in moderate to heavy rain. If I had these before, I might be a little irritated on the days that I had to use my home charger a little. But that was then, so I am driving it like a rented mule now over my 12 mile round trip commute, with no care for range.
Not really an endorsement for this specific brand, but as others have said, kind of a commentary on the OEM... My dealer had a pretty good price on them, but since I'm turning this in 5 months down the road, I went the way I did. The Hercs exceeded OEM in speed rating and load so they met the requirement for GM Financial (leasee)....

Of course, YMMV

#29 ·
Jumping in on this one. My OE tires still had some decent tread left but I was sick of the constant whine. Shopped around and almost went for the P7's but then found an off brand (chinese maker and manufacture) called LionHart. At half the price of the P7's, I thought I'd give them a try. With as much as I drive, I figured I could put up with them for a year if they were awful.

Well, I don't recommend them, they are as noisy as the Bridgestones. For reference, LionHart LH3, they are not a LRR tire. I'll hang on to 'em until I can't tolerate the whine then I'll get the P7's.

#32 ·
I've got about a week on the Pirelli C7's. I should have replaced the POS potenzas a long time ago. The are nearly silent. That's the best part. I can keep the radio at 12 instead of 32. No more tire humm or thumping. I can hear the electric whine spin up and that's it. I ran them at 35psi the first few days and dropped to about 38 range. I'm at 42psi now and I'm right where I was with the potenzas in the mid 40's. I drove 29 miles today and still had 18 on the guessometer with just under half the green left.

Pros:
silent
did I mention silent?
great ride, feels like a different car, so much better.
no noticeable drop in range with pressure adjustment, maybe even better
70,000 mile claimed tread life... doubt it.

cons
not as firm, handling feels more soft and numb. the more comfortable ride more than makes up for it though
not as grippy, can feel some squirm in hard turns and full regen doesn't feel the same. will let them break in, still have the injection nubs to wear off
I waited way too long to replace the potenzas

I got all 4 for $1133 OTD. Well worth it. Don't go cheap on tires.

#33 ·
Just at four months now with the LionHart tires and I think I'm going to give up early. Horrible decision on my part, I should have listened to the comments here (and elsewhere) on how good the Pirelli's are.

Going to take the car in soon just to confirm that I'm not hearing a bad bearing (I highly doubt it but going to make sure) then I'll just order another set of tires, the right ones this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.