GM Volt Forum banner

Acura NSX

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  llninja 
#1 ·
I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts or news articles on another PHEV, the new Acura NSX. Sure not everyone has $158k lying around, but it's an electric supercar with 3 electric motors and a gas engine that should be considered as an alternative to a Tesla Model S and the BMW i8.

Has anyone on this forum test driven or considered the NSX?

#2 ·
I did the build your own and added all of the carbon fiber options and special paint, The MSRP was $205,998.00. Come on lotto.

#4 ·
If you're depending on the Lotto, then the odds are against you. But if you have a goal in mind and pour everything into that goal, it is achievable - live below your means, stop buying/leasing new cars every 3 years, invest until compounding interest works for you instead of against you. In fact, my retirement accounts gained about $150K between the election and now. Too bad I cannot touch it until I'm 59.5 years old, or else I'd be really tempted to order one.

If I were to get one, I'd be happy with the base model and none of the extra options. But in a comparison between the NSX and the i8, I think the NSX wins out in performance, but I like the looks of the i8 a little more. Certainly the AWD is intended for performance and not necessarily for driving through snow.

#5 · (Edited)
#7 ·
This lease sucks. $103371 over 39 months, and at the end you hand them the keys and you have nothing (except a smile on your face and an empty wallet). You might as well pay the extra $53k and keep it forever.

Sometimes rare supercars are worth paying full price for as rare specimens sometimes command a pretty penny. I think the NSX might be one of those. I'd buy one, park it in a garage, and take it out once in a great while keeping the mileage down.

I regret not buying a 1990s Toyota Supra twin turbo as used car prices skyrocketed after the release of The Fast and The Furious. I loved that car when it was released, but my priorities was a 4 door sedan with a stick shift because my wife and I had one child with another on the way. So BMW 535i it was. I'm one of those lucky souls who married a woman who prefers a manual over an automatic.

#6 ·
It is not competition for the S other than maybe competing for wealthy people's money. The Tesla S is a fast in a straight line street car. The Muscle car of the electric era. The NSX is more of a race car, competing with others like the BMW i8 on the low end and Porsche 918 Spyder, etc on the high end.

#9 · (Edited)
" Too bad I cannot touch it until I'm 59.5 years old"

lucky you -- that are making me wait tell I am 69 and 1/2

I keep my 1990 Acura integra and let it go after getting my Volt

#10 ·
What kind of piss poor retirement are you on? Sounds almost like you are (shudder in revulsion) relying on the government to take care of your future!

All of my retirement investments will be available without penalty at 59.5... not even sure when "social insecurity" kicks in, I consider it a fantasy that will probably technically still exist when I retire, but it will be valueless, and probably not even cover the income tax from the income generated from my "real" retirement accounts.

Keith

#12 · (Edited)
Not lucky, I've been contributing 10+% since graduating college and put it all in the riskier growth funds, then ignored it for 26 years. It's amazing how it's not really the interest, but the fact that you keep investing that causes this to grow. In fact, I'm probably going to overshoot my target by quite a bit without investing anything additional from this day forward. To compensate, I'm shutting off retirement savings and switching to non-retirement savings to see if I can amass enough to retire before 59.5. I should have done that sooner, but kids college at a prestigious east coast school got in the way. No regrets though as she just got into an MSTP (MD/PhD) program which means I'm off the hook for med school tuition - all covered by the school and the national institute of health. She probably would not have received this if she went to a less expensive state school. That's a quarter mil+ Of med school expenses off my shoulders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.