No heat in 2013 on EV
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No heat in 2013 on EV

Quote Originally Posted by ampera_jed View Post
    As for the heater, it seems there can be one or multiple of a relatively small number of faults here;-
    a) the electric coolant pump is not working properly. This IS covered under the Voltec drive warranty.
    b) if power is drawn when heater shows 'on', then the blending valve between the HVAC circuit and the engine circuit is sticking open, either completely or jamming open a little.

It would seem in the OPs case that once the system cools down the valve does return to the fully closed condition but seems to remain open for a while after the system has warmed up.
    If it were parts working poorly, then the heater indicator would show that the heater was at least ON. And it isn't. Since it's not ON, we've got no idea if the parts work or not. First step is to find out whether the indicator is wrong or whether the heater never gets turned on. Which will certainly mimic the symptoms of "not working".
    2012 Standard w/ Navigation

Quote Originally Posted by hellsop View Post
    If it were parts working poorly, then the heater indicator would show that the heater was at least ON. And it isn't. Since it's not ON, we've got no idea if the parts work or not. First step is to find out whether the indicator is wrong or whether the heater never gets turned on. Which will certainly mimic the symptoms of "not working".
    And before anyone asks "How do we determine that", I'm sure it's a five minute task for the service department.

Another piece to the puzzle my gf just reminded me about. I did a pre condition a week or so ago and when we came out my gf asked me if the ICE was running because it was super loud. It was not the ICE without a doubt. Could this be a sign the coolant pump bearings went? Would there be any stored codes if that's the case?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ampera_jed View Post

As for the heater, it seems there can be one or multiple of a relatively small number of faults here;-
    a) the electric coolant pump is not working properly. This IS covered under the Voltec drive warranty.
    b) if power is drawn when heater shows 'on', then the blending valve between the HVAC circuit and the engine circuit is sticking open, either completely or jamming open a little.

It would seem in the OPs case that once the system cools down the valve does return to the fully closed condition but seems to remain open for a while after the system has warmed up.
    Would any of this be covered by the voltec warranty? It would seem so as these systems need to work for battery conditioning. Do you know the location of these valves and how I can check them? Are they blend doors like inside a dash for the HVAC?

And today while we where sitting in the car, heat set to high and ERDTT set to the cold setting but ICE not running there was a very odd, very loud noise that sounded like a thrown belt on a normal ICE car that came from behind the gauge cluster. I want to guess that it was coolant flowing but I've never heard it before and it was incredibly loud for that. Lasted about 5 seconds. It happened about 20-30 seconds after ICE shut off.

Anybody have any insight to offer? I have absolutely no heat unless the ICE is running. I'm going to try and command the water pump on with my scan tool this coming week if I get time.

Check all the coolant reservoirs and make sure they are properly filled with the proper coolant. My 2013 heater problem was fixed after a leak was repaired and reservoir refilled. I think there are three coolant reservoirs, not sure which is for what system.
    2013 Volt White Diamond Everything
    2012 Enclave Ming Blue AWD

Should be simple. If the power draw increases when you call for heat, and there is no heat, it's likely the pump. If there is no increased power demand, blame the heater.
    Caretaker of Squirrel's! 2015 Volt... and 66 cylinders of classic GMs!

Took it to a dealer tonight. Tech didn't know anything about volts but followed the procedures in the tech manual. Thinks it's the heater control module and needs to look at the date on it. They aren't sure if it's covered or not but will call GM for a good faith repair. He stopped because he didn't wanna go to far and get a bill racked up when he wasn't sure what to do and didn't want me to pay for him to learn so I think I owe him a beer.

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
    Took it to a dealer tonight. Tech didn't know anything about volts but followed the procedures in the tech manual. Thinks it's the heater control module and needs to look at the date on it. They aren't sure if it's covered or not but will call GM for a good faith repair. He stopped because he didn't wanna go to far and get a bill racked up when he wasn't sure what to do and didn't want me to pay for him to learn so I think I owe him a beer.
    It's amazing how far a box of donuts will go in a service bay...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text