Bolt EV = basically maintenance free for first 150k miles
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: Bolt EV = basically maintenance free for first 150k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    The Volt owner's manual simply disagrees with your tire guy, Fyodor. I was just out putting on my snows. Found a steel wire in one of the tires, plucked it out before storing it away. Also checked my brake pad thickness. I suspect I'll need new pads on the front sometime in spring at around 90,000 miles.
    That's the beauty of these threads - everyone has his or her own opinion, be it ERDTT (Who cares?), 'L' (Never use it.) , 'Sport' (Ditto), tire rotation (Once a year), FNC rotors (Neat), oil change intervals (Every two years) , whatever (I love all French cars). Some of us are even right from time to time. If we are lucky these opinions at worst do no harm.

On tires, I like to keep them rotating in the same direction, but because it makes intuitive sense to me. I don't actually know what the currently accepted wisdom is.
    2012 Volt, White, premium interior, nav and entertainment.
    2.8L/100 km., 55/45 EV and ICE lifetime
    Greenback Troll #2.75

Quote Originally Posted by ampera_jed View Post
    I'm with you on that one, and I do have a winter set (I have done this for many years, becoming more common here now). Of course, when swapping back and forth I will give the tyres a good inspection and reverse them as you say to even out the wear. I am pretty sure you will find that the US 'recommended' practice is to 'rotate' around the vehicle, assuming they are not directional tyres.
    The recommended rotation practice seems to vary with the vehicle. According to the manuals, my Jetta had one scheme, (front to opposite rear, rear to same side front), my Venture another (front to same side rear and vice versa). I seem to recall my RWD cars had yet another.

Not to set off an entirely different debate, but I spent four winters in London, and missed the only snowstorm when I was away in Cornwall. English winters seem to be getting harsher. With the narrow and twisty roads, narrow shoulders, crowned surfaces, along with actual snow I'd want winter tires all the more.
    2012 Volt, White, premium interior, nav and entertainment.
    2.8L/100 km., 55/45 EV and ICE lifetime
    Greenback Troll #2.75

Interesting to compare this to Tesla which wants you to come in for expensive inspections / service quite often. The GM service (with the occasional professional multi-point inspection seems pretty reasonable. The Tesla service recommendations and the rumors of long wait times for parts, especially after fender benders have me leaning towards cancelling my model 3 reservation and looking elsewhere for my next EV.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by madmike View Post
    Interesting to compare this to Tesla which wants you to come in for expensive inspections / service quite often. The GM service (with the occasional professional multi-point inspection seems pretty reasonable. The Tesla service recommendations and the rumors of long wait times for parts, especially after fender benders have me leaning towards cancelling my model 3 reservation and looking elsewhere for my next EV.
    Depending on your timeline, you'll have more options. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anything coming soon will have anything close to the performance of the Bolt EV, let alone the Model 3. But, if performance isn't the key metric you are looking for, the Ioniq EV and Leaf might be worth considering. Time will tell.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text