DCFC Charging for Bolt EV dealers
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: DCFC Charging for Bolt EV dealers

Default DCFC Charging for Bolt EV dealers

As mentioned elsewhere, it is a requirement for Bolt dealers to purchase a DCFC charger for the service department.
    Although they will likely be used to routinely charge Bolts in for service, they are mostly necessary in order to insure that they are in a position to be able to test and if necessary diagnose DCFC issues.

The unit itself is interesting as it is a 25kW unit from Bosch which only requires a 240V single phase input (albeit with a service rated to handle a maximum of 138A input current)

The 24x18x10" enclosure is IP54 rated, can be wall or pedestal mounted and weighs 104lbs

WOT

Attached Images
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 12-07-2016 at 03:34 AM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

I couldn't find this particular Bosch dcfc online anywhere, but it looks identical to this one

http://www.evchargesolutions.com/Del.../deltadcfc.htm

So I'm guessing Bosch bought it and slapped their logo on it like they did with the SPX EVSE in my garage. With a price of $9999, it's really going to be hard for me to justify getting one from a dollars and cents perspective. Is there any info out there on how long it takes to fully charge a depleted bolt with one of these puppies, and whether charging on a daily basis might have long term effects on the battery? I'm probably not buying a bolt, but I do need to learn more about dcfc as GM preps my Subyukonade EV someday (oh please, oh please make it soon)
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

I read a 480v, 80 capable DCFC is required?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    I couldn't find this particular Bosch dcfc online anywhere, but it looks identical to this one

http://www.evchargesolutions.com/Del.../deltadcfc.htm

So I'm guessing Bosch bought it and slapped their logo on it like they did with the SPX EVSE in my garage. With a price of $9999, it's really going to be hard for me to justify getting one from a dollars and cents perspective. Is there any info out there on how long it takes to fully charge a depleted bolt with one of these puppies, and whether charging on a daily basis might have long term effects on the battery? I'm probably not buying a bolt, but I do need to learn more about dcfc as GM preps my Subyukonade EV someday (oh please, oh please make it soon)
    Nice find. The unit in your link is a dual CHAdeMO and CCS unit. So I'd guess a CCS-only (or CHAdeMO-only) unit would knock a grand or so off the price. Delta is in Fremont, Ca - literally on the other side of I-880 from the Tesla plant.
    2016 Premier - Red/brandy w/DC 1, 2, and Nav (built 10/15)
    Added: Sport pedals, Illum chg port, all weather mats, sill plates, Cruze spare tire...

Quote Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
    I read a 480v, 80 capable DCFC is required?
    The tech specs say it is available for either 240v single phase, 208v three phase, or 480v three phase.
    2016 Premier - Red/brandy w/DC 1, 2, and Nav (built 10/15)
    Added: Sport pedals, Illum chg port, all weather mats, sill plates, Cruze spare tire...

Nice! This is a way to fast charge the Bolt EV at home! Sure, it's almost 1/3rd the cost of the car, but for taxis, Uber/Lyft/Maven this would be great!
    2013 Tesla Model S 85
    2014 Chevy Volt to be replaced by a 2017 Tesla Model 3
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hmmm.....I've done the engineering for the new or remodeled facilities of several local dealerships, including Chevy and GMC dealers, the past few years. Most had 120/208 volt/3 phase electrical services. As noted by WOT, this takes a high-amp circuit to charge even at 25 kW and is not a trivial install on the input side of installation. Hope there isn't too much push-back by the dealers on this. This will definitely further limit the # of dealers nationally who are interested in selling the Bolt EV.

I suspect the quote about 80 kW DCFC being required at the dealers was a mis-quote or a mistake. There's no way most dealers could even install such a large single load. They'd need a new electric service, which is $$$$. GM probably is aware of that.

And to consider installing such a device (the Bosch 25 kW DCFC unit) at home? Go talk to your utility and your electrician before getting too excited.
    Last edited by hvacman; 12-07-2016 at 12:14 PM. Reason: clarified the home charger
    KV - 2013 - DU11118

Daily charging with that high a current rate would shorten your battery life quite a bit, I am sure. Probably not a good idea.
    Jerry, Fresno, California
    2017 Bolt ordered, Orange Sunburst, w/all options,
    #536 2011 Crystal Red Volt,
    2012 Diamond White Volt, saved from the crusher, gift to my niece.
    1975 Cosworth Vega, stored
    1988 Formula Fiero, also saved from the crusher, in the midst of restoration.

It only took a couple years for EVSEs to go from $1,000 to $300. I'll bet this goes from $10,000 to $3,000 pretty soon. At that point, it becomes viable for a home user. All ya need is a 400amp power entrance or a 200amp separate meter. Lol.
    Driving a show car. Every day! Hidden Content

------------------------
    2014 Crystal Red ELR (REDD) code R w/Cashmere interior
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 10.3 on iPhone 6. MyCadillac App version 3.5.0
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by SharkVolt View Post
    Daily charging with that high a current rate would shorten your battery life quite a bit, I am sure. Probably not a good idea.
    How do you figure? The Bolt is 60 kWh, so charging at 25 kW is about 0.4C. Charging is only a real concern above 1C. By comparison, the newest Superchargers can pump 135 kW into a 90 kWh battery, which equals 1.5C
    06/20/12 - ordered/deposit on 2013 Volt - Blue/Black Cloth/Comfort/Safety 1&2/Nav/Bose
    08/14/12 - 3800 - Order produced
    09/13/12 - 5000 - Delivered to dealership! VIN: D7585

After 52 months of ownership: (average commute is 100 km / 62 mi one way)
    122,000 km total / 77,000 km electric / 45,000 km gas / 2.52 L/100km
    76,000 mi total / 48,000 mi electric / 28,000 mi gas / 93.3 mpg
    Estimated fuel savings vs. my truck: $18250

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text