Spark EV Cheap at Auction
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Spark EV Cheap at Auction

Default Spark EV Cheap at Auction

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    Ah, I found it. The 1500 can't be purchased with a diesel, but the ram 2500 can. So I went back to Chevy and found the same thing. I need a Silverado 2500 HD in order to get diesel as an option. But yowza, the prices are pretty much the same as a suburban once you add the diesel to the base model crew cab.
    Incorrect. The ram 1500 offers a ecodiesel. Diesels aren't cheap but the ecodiesel will get you super high 20s for MPG and a almost 2500 like towing capacity. And the power/low end torque.
    Last edited by turboguy327; 12-11-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
    Incorrect. The ram 1500 offers a ecodiesel. Diesels aren't cheap but the ecodiesel will get you super high 20s for MPG and a 2500 like towing capacity.
    We are really off thread,,, but...

This is the one my neighbor goes on about, in his Ram 1500!
    He says it started life as Fiat/GM research with a small Italian diesel manufacturer. Then Dodge became the partner.

It is economical on fuel and sips the urea liquid compared to most diesels. And I know it is amazingly quiet, even on a cold start.

And hopefully it has no 'defeat' SW for emissions testing....(Did you hear the trickery Porsche uses?)
    Last edited by Norton; 12-11-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    '14 Spark EV w/DCFC
    In the middle of the country,
    far from any of its sibs,
    feeding off free electrons, mostly.

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Incorrect. The ram 1500 offers a ecodiesel. Diesels aren't cheap but the ecodiesel will get you super high 20s for MPG and a 2500 like towing capacity.
    You're right, I had to twiddle with the cab size, box size, and 4x4 to start seeing diesel options. Though the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel is not a Cummins.

http://cumminshub.com/ecodiesel.html

So what did you think of your RAM? My wife had a Dodge Daytona in the early 90s before we got married and all I remember was that the car looked cool, but every interior plastic part was cheaply made and didn't feel solid - it always had a squeak from somewhere then you hit bumps. My horse farrier had a mid 90's Dodge Ram where she loved the reliability of the engine itself, but was having all sorts of problems with everything else (brakes, transmission, body parts), so much so that she went stuck letters on the back of her truck saying "This truck sucks" just to spite the dealership with how much it was sitting in the shop to cause them to lose future sales. Hopefully they've improved in this day and age when vehicle quality approaches or exceeds Japanese levels.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    We are really off thread,,, but....

This is the one my neighbor goes on about, in his Ram 1500!
    He says it started life as Fiat/GM research with a small Italian diesel manufacturer. Then Dodge became the partner.

It is economical on fuel and sips the urea liquid compared to most diesels. And I know it is amazingly quiet, even on a cold start.

And hopefully it has no 'defeat' SW for emissions testing....(Did you hear the trickery Porsche uses?)
    What do you mean way off thread? We're the kings of segues, shifting from spark to suburban to a RAM trucks. What could be more awesome than that?

From what I read, GM started working with this engine, then the bankruptcy caused it to fall into Fiat/Crysler's hands. BTW have you noticed that Dodga trucks are now RAM Trucks? I'm now pouring myself into the RAM 1500 models.

Why in the world can't they make it simpler? tradesman, express, big horn, rebel, sport, laramie, Laramie longhorn, and limited. Talk about brand confusion. I love how the rebel looks, but it cannot be purchased with a diesel or a bigger bed. Neither can the sport, nor many of the 2wd models. I want a 4WD anyway, but the choices are daunting. Plus my search of inventory for a crew cab with 4WD and diesel turned up nothing within 200 miles. Either they are selling like hotcakes or they are a made to order item. Sadly, no trucks are available in Plum Crazy. Just like GM won't make me a Voltec Subyukonade, RAM won't make me a 1500 crew cab Rebel with a long bed in Plum Crazy. Add a giant Daytona wing on the back, and I'm all in.
    Last edited by llninja; 12-11-2016 at 12:17 PM.

"what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?

You're right, I had to twiddle with the cab size, box size, and 4x4 to start seeing diesel options. Though the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel is not a Cummins.

So what did you think of your RAM? My wife had a Dodge Daytona in the early 90s before we got married and all I remember was that the car looked cool, but every interior plastic part was cheaply made and didn't feel solid - it always had a squeak from somewhere then you hit bumps. My horse farrier had a mid 90's Dodge Ram where she loved the reliability of the engine itself, but was having all sorts of problems with everything else (brakes, transmission, body parts), so much so that she went stuck letters on the back of her truck saying "This truck sucks" just to spite the dealership with how much it was sitting in the shop to cause them to lose future sales. Hopefully they've improved in this day and age when vehicle quality approaches or exceeds Japanese levels.
    Mines a 2012 2500 mega cab with a small lift and 35s. I loved it. It was a Laramie though so leather, heated/cooled seats. Sliding window. I loved it. I really miss it. The only bad part about the interior was the drivers seat left bottom bolster. To be fair it was lifted and I'm short so it took some abuse. But 100k miles of plowing and hauling all over the place and only drivetrain problem I had was front pinion seal leak. Most of its life it was deleted and making over 1000 ft/lbs of torque.

Also, the 90s was a bad time for every manufacturer, just look at the other makes trucks for all the plastic crap interior.

Also, the 90s was a bad time for every manufacturer, just look at the other makes trucks for all the plastic crap interior.
    I dunno. I like my 1995 Chevy suburban 2500 interior. It only have 134k miles on it and I've seen plenty online with 200-300k miles. I'm tempted to buy new wheels, plastidip it Plum crazy, replace the front seats and fox the AC vs. getting something new. But high 20 mpg of a diesel is intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by samotlietuvis View Post
    I have rebuilt a salvage Spark EV that I bought at the auction.
    The forklift at the auction will damage the plastics underneath, but it is impossible to damage battery or drivetrain.
    The car will be s/w disabled if any airbags popped. One will need GDS-2 s/w and adapter to re-enable the car. Or tow it to a stealership and pay a lot to have it inspected / re-enabled. I did it myself.
    The car has 4 radiators that are expensive - avoid ones that have radiator stack damaged.
    The car is very low production - used parts are virtually un-available.
    My wrecked Spark EV was "fluffed" to look better than it actually was. Copart calls is "enhanced vehicle" service that the insurance company pay to get the vehicle "fluffed" at copart. Pay attention if you are buying an "enhanced vehicle" because the car will not be as good as it looks....
    Expect to add $700 to a winning price (broker + all the copart fees).
    The rebuilding part is fairly straight forward.
    You will be competing with people getting sparks for their battery projects. Battery itself fetches $2k-$3k.
    Good feedback. Yeah I probably only would do it with one I could see in person. Now that the Spark EV is available out this way, I have a better shot, but will still be few and far between.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text