GM Volt Forum banner

2016 Volt gas engine efficiency

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  stephenrx7 
#1 ·
We have both a 2010 Prius and a 2016 Volt LTZ. Recently with temps 40's to low 50's I noticed that as usual the Prius takes a big hit in mpg. Last Prius fill up, 3 days ago, 45.5 calculated, computer read about 49 mpg.

Now the Volt running on gas seems to be less effected by the colder weather, and of course, winterized gas with less BTU's as well. Last trip on Monday to the Portland Oregon area, 170 mile round trip, was 47.5 mpg just on gas for the trip with my wife and I in the Volt. I doubt if the Prius could have done much better or perhaps even obtained less mpg's.

Just wondering if anyone else who has both a Prius and a 2016-17 Volt has noticed the same.

#2 ·
WOW that's good to know I have only had my 2017 3 months and have driven just at 2700 miles but only 10 have been under GAS so I have no real world usage to know how good the Gen II Volt's "fuel mileage" is.

I have used more gas in my lawn mower during this same period.......

#3 ·
I have to believe that we must have got lucky and we just, by the luck of the draw, have a more fuel efficient Volt engine than
normal. Its pretty good mpg's when you consider the weight of the car and that you have the ability to drive 40 miles to nearly 70 miles just on electricity, depending on weather etc. and other conditions as well. Now when we go on trips to the Porltand or greater area we just take the Volt, it cost less in fuel cost and electric cost than taking our 2010 Prius. Hard to believe....

#4 ·
Many people may actually see the opposite, that the Volt's MPG is worse than sticker. But this is an illusion, because their daily driving only has the engine fire up for a very small amount of time, before it ever gets warm. Unfortunately, many mistake this for poor efficiency, it's really just that their engine never has the chance to warm up to operate at peak efficiency. They, somewhat ironically, get poor MPG on the engine because of how little gasoline they use! ;)

Your case with the trip proves that it holds up to its EPA rating when the engine has warmed up sufficiently.

#7 ·
47.5 is totally doable if you are strategic in using hold mode. On my trips up from San Diego to Orange County, I usually start off in traffic in normal mode. When traffic clears up, I will put it in hold mode and set my ACC at 70. If there is sustained traffic again, I will put it back in normal mode, otherwise I will wait until I am closer to my destination before burning up the rest of the electrons. Doing it this way, I get 55-60mi electric range and about 46-49mpg using the gas generator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.