Cars.com Bolt EV first drive review
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cars.com Bolt EV first drive review

Default Cars.com Bolt EV first drive review

https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-c...1420692448232/

Couple of critical points made (the Volt's regenerative braking is terrible? He must be talking about the Gen 1 Volt? Even then, I don't think it's "terrible"). The Gen 2 Volt uses the same braking equipment as the Bolt, as we found out recently.

Also, the Cars.com reviewer also didn't seem to love the seats (maybe he's a big boy? Who knows). Obese people won't like the Bolt's seats....check.

New tidbit is the "Hilltop Reserve" mode. If you live on a hill, activating this feature (either one time or automatically by location/GPS), it will only charge the Bolt to 90%. Good for people living on top of a hill, but useful for all of us! This feature basically allows anyone to automatically limit charging to 90%! People worried about battery longevity now have an easy way to prevent 100% charging without having to time when to pull the plug!

The Bolt EV also has Hilltop Reserve, which is not an artisanal wine. It's an innovation intended for people who charge their Bolt with the expectation of sustained downhill driving afterward. It charges the battery pack to 90 rather than 100 percent capacity. The reason is that a full battery can't capture any additional regeneration. By leaving that 10 percent open, you work toward filling it for free by driving downhill where you otherwise would have paid to charge it via cord. Owners can program the car to activate this feature once or automatically only in a particular location, such as at home, work or both.
    Last edited by bro1999; 11-22-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

If you get a bad link, try https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-c...1420692448232/

The majority of the reviews have either not mentioned the seats or have said they are comfortable. A few (2 including this one?) have disagreed. It would be helpful to know the size and weight of people giving seat reviews.

The 90% trick is interesting, though I doubt I'll ever need to use it.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

So the article lists the authors name, Joe Wiesenfelder...I copied and pasted his name and the word height into google and up popped this:

"Someone of my height (6 feet tall)"

https://www.pickuptrucks.com/reviews...1420689331029/

Then I clicked on google images, he appears slim, 170-180lbs is my guess...

Point about the seats though, they said the spring frames provide the support, not the padding that we're all traditionally used to in a vehicle...Some simply may not like the seating experience; others including some big Bolt EV proponents have stated the seats are very narrow...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
    So the article lists the authors name, Joe Wiesenfelder...I copied and pasted his name and the word height into google and up popped this:

Point about the seats though, they said the spring frames provide the support, not the padding that we're all traditionally used to in a vehicle...Some simply may not like the seating experience; others including some big Bolt EV proponents have stated the seats are very narrow...
    Could be simply his ass is too bony then. Lol

Obese people and twigs = possibly not comfortable in a Bolt
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post

Yes, we've had a couple forum members mention that the seat comfort was not great on the LT that they sat in during a car show. This is going to be interesting. In Josh's (chief engineer) discussion of the seat in the other thread, it appears they are being innovate by using this thin type of seat. If saving space result in long ride discomfort then they may need to re-think the seats in future.

I'll be paying close attention to seat comfort becuase the next vehicle my family gets needs to be a CUV. It must be comfortable for my family of four on our 180 mile drive to my dads house on the coast. My G2 volt doesn't cut it right now for those long trips, so we will need to replace our aging SUV very soon. I'm hoping it will ba a bolt.
    Hidden Content - BLK interior - Driver 1& 2 confidence pkg - Hidden Content
    L2 Charger - Hidden Content - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
    Could be simply his ass is too bony then. Lol

Obese people and twigs = possibly not comfortable in a Bolt
    I'm 6'1" and obese and I found the Bolt EV seats comfortable. Though my seat time was limited to about 15 minutes (and I was in a Premier model).
    Hidden Content 2017 Volt - Kinetic Blue - Black Cloth - HU3085
    Hidden Content

From my reading, I've only seen people on the thin (normal) side commenting on the seats being uncomfortable. Since most of America is overweight, the seats may have been designed to be more comfortable with more weight on them, causing the plastic frames to flex more.
    201x Tesla Model 3 Reservation
    2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
    2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i
    2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ Dually

Another consideration for the Hilltop feature. Charging the car to only 90% when you leave home, driving to work (for example) it if uses 10% of your battery you're not at 80%. Charge at work to 100%, drive home and you've now arrived back at home at 90% thus not using any energy of your own.

I've been planning on doing this already so it's great that there's a feature for it.
    2017 Bolt + 2014 Corvette Stingray
    Toronto, ON

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text