GM Volt Forum banner

TPMS "malfunctions" after I switched to winter wheels/tires...

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Eodguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Had my winter tires mounted to another set of OEM Volt wheels I bought from another member off this site. He told me he would toss in 3 TPMS sensors but that they were off a 2016 so he didn't have use for them. However, when I got the wheels I cross checked the part numbers and the 3 sensors were 13598773 433 MHz "made in the U.K." sensors. From my understanding those are 2017 sensors. I bought a brand new sensor with the same part number from amazon to complete the set. Had them installed yesterday (pain in the butt, had to go to two different tire places since one refused to install them since I didn't buy the wheels or tires from them.) Anyway, the tire place installed them and said they reprogrammed the sensors. I drove about 8 miles home and it showed correct pressures (granted I had my other set in my car to bring them back home, I requested the winters inflated to 39psi which is what I ran my summers at...) today I drove about two miles ran into the store and left again and got maybe half a mile more and the tire monitoring system warning on my screen. Blinking orange tire pressure symbol for about a minute and the it went solid. All the pressures show "--".

I have a ATEQ VT5 tool on its way via amazon and should have it Tuesday but I'm concerned that this might be a larger issue then just needing a relearn. Anyone had experience with this? Would it take a couple miles of driving before it determined it couldn't read the sensors? Is there anyway to "turn on" the new sensor that came? There weren't switches or anything on it and I assumed the tire place would know how to activate it before mounting the tire...

Side note, do chevy dealers mount tires? I'm thinking of buying run flats come spring & I really don't want to play this game of hunting and finding a tire store that will install tires that I didn't purchase from them. One shop quoted me $200+ to mount them (this would have brought my total cost per tire for Blizzaks WS80 to ~$215 each!!) once they found out I already owned the tires... and this shop... well they may have not programmed the TPMS sensors correctly... >.<

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like they did not relearn the new TPMS. As you say, the old one were in the back and being read by the car. When you took them out, poof, no more connection, hence the "--" reading.

When I swap in my Blizzaks, I follow the simple relearn procedure covered in the owner's manual. Never had a problem.

#7 ·
I didn't think you were allowed to use 433MHz over there for transmitting devices (however short a range).

We can't use 315MHz here.

Are you sure it was actually reading your wheels, or just holding on to the readings from the old set before giving up trying to hear from a viable set?

#10 · (Edited)
In the U.S., some cars use 315mHz while others use 433mHz
My relearn tool does both, so I'm covered either way. I believe 2011-2016 Volt TPMS operate at 315 mHz while 2017 uses 433. So, yes, make sure the sensors are correct for the car year.

#12 ·
With a gen1, you start the car, spin the dial on the dash to get the tire setting on the driver information console, then press and hold to start the process. The car will honk and turn on the turn signal for the wheel that you should use the TPMS tool. I think it starts with front left, but don't remember if it goes clockwise or counterclockwise. When the tool correctly resets, the car will honk (if I remember correctly, it might double honk) and light up another turn signal for the next corner to reset.

I imagine the g2 is similar.

#14 ·
Hi acarney,

If you have a dealership in mind, I’d be happy to reach out to them on your behalf to see what their policy/pricing is for mounting tires not purchased at their location. If you don’t have a Volt dealership of preference, I can find a few in your area and ask around if you’d like!

Please feel free to send us a private message if I or my team can be of any assistance. Please be sure to include your VIN, vehicle mileage, contact info and zip code within your message if you would like our help.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#15 ·
I bought a tool for myself and the whole "matching" process took maybe 45 seconds total for all four wheels. I've got a local dealership already that I deal with (just like to try and avoid running over for little things like this). I'll contact them in the spring and see if they mount tires if I decide to buy some new run flats for the warmer months.

#17 ·
I bought a set of used 2017 volt wheels, 4 Michelin x-ice tires and 4 tpms sensors from Ebay, and a KINGBOLEN EL-50448 from Amazon. I took the tires and wheels to Les Schwab to get mounted, they did not want to install the TPMS sensors because I did not buy them from their store but they did go ahead and do it. I took the wheels home and put them on my car then went to do the relearn. The LF, RF, and RR beeped the horn as they should the LR would not activate. I had an appointment at the dealer to get my ACC fixed today and asked them to check the TPMS sensors. They charged me $35 to tell me the RR would not learn, they called me and said it would be $335 dollars to replace that sensor. I told them no thanks I would do it my self. Les Schwab wanted $22 to try to relearn the sensor and then their prices went up to another 55 to trouble shoot the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.