GM Volt Forum banner

Join Farm Bureau for discount?

7K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  dhartung02 
#1 ·
So GM will give me $500 off a new Volt if I've been a member of a farm bureau for at least 30 days. In Massachusetts, I can get an "Associate membership" for $60. They claim its for "a non-farmer who joins to support agriculture" and "may participate in the same programs as a full or part-time member (with exception of voting privileges)."

So I'm tempted to get a membership and wait 30 days. Has anybody done anything like this? Has it actually worked?

#2 ·
Personally, I have Farm Bureau insurance. They are a great honest company that WILL PAY with no heartache if you do have an accident. If you are for sure going to purchase a Volt, then I would sign up for sure even without carrying the insurance. You are also supporting your local farmers ;)

#3 ·
We got the GM "Educators" discount that was better than Farm Bureau, although we joined FB because the salesman told me that the two discounts could be "stacked." Apparently he was in error (What! A car salesman making a misstatement??), and we are now proud FB members and out $40. We live on farm land and are proud to support Colorado Farm Bureau!

#4 ·
In the past members have used the FB discount. I don't think any were actually farmers though I can't be 100% sure of this.

A return of $500 on an investment of $60 would be a 833% return. Seems like paying $60 to join is a reasonable chance to take. Definitely beats lottery tickets and/or any investment instrument I'm aware of.

#5 ·
I've used the discount 3 times already this year. I only go to farms to get pumpkins. It's basically free money if you are gonna buy a GM car (well, not Caddy).

$60 spent to save $1500 so far. And it stacks with most private offers!

#11 ·
Thanks! Even though I live in Massachusetts, I joined the Colorado FB a few hours ago since JD4JC pointed out it only costs $40. AFAICT, you don't have to join the bureau in your state. GM does have a list of states whose Farm Bureau's get the discount, its not all states, e.g. not Michigan. But Colorado is on the list. :)

The worst part is, I now have to wait until December to get my car. Oh well, that gives me more of a chance to get the $1000 Internet/Email discount.

#15 ·
I have some questions about the Farm Bureau discount.

1. If I get competitive bids from area dealers, should I mention that I'm a Farm Bureau member?
2. If the quote doesn't specifically include a Farm Bureau discount, would I get it by asking at the time of purchase?

This seems like a no-brainer to me... join for $82 and save $500... so I'm looking for the catch.

Thanks for any info!

#16 ·
I just received a note from the Massachusetts Farm Bureau that their deal with GM expires May 31. Your state may do so as well:
"This discount was negotiated at a national level by American Farm Bureau Federation (ABFB), which issued the following statement regarding the discontinuation of this member benefit, "While we are extremely disappointed with GM's decision, the decision was not based on any perceived shortcomings of Farm Bureau. This type of program simply does not have the support within GM necessary to make such programs viable."

#18 ·
Thanks for sharing, this discount never really made sense to me but I figured GM had some ties with farmers...There are already several states that GM doesn't accept, wonder if they're phasing them out entirety?

#17 ·
This seems to be a new trend among car manufacturers now...they don't want to pass on savings unless you join some stupid organization. We saved $500 on our i3 for joining AARP and we aren't even in the age bracket! They had a special for young folk believe it or not. I didn't take advantage of the Farm discount from GM but my dealer was kind enough to give me the discount anyway for my Volt. That was a nice touch on her part.

#20 ·
What you say is good, but asking for an itemized breakdown means there's no where to hide bogus "fees" and things like "vin etching"...

#21 ·
Figures that they'd get rid of the discount just before I want to buy! :)

I have two choices:

1. Buy before May 31st and get the $500 discount, or
2. Wait until the first part of July and hope that GM offers some attractive discounts or rebates before then.

Anyone giving odds?

#22 ·
It has not yet been reported that the discount is going away, there's a handful of states that GM does not allow discounts for and someone here just reported that Mass will be one of them...Until we hear official news otherwise, you can join CO's which is $40 and get $500 off...Also to add, you have to be a member for 30 days regardless of state, before you're eligible for the discount...Lastly the discount applies to virtually every GM vehicle including the Z06, but not the Bolt EV for some reason...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.