GM Volt Forum banner

L2 Home Charging Options in Ontario

11K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  gadgeTT 
#1 ·
After three weeks with the Volt I’m thinking about investing in L2 charging. So far I’ve made it work with L1 charging at home and topping up at work, but with winter coming and what I assume will be some diminished range having L2 at home to cut charging time in half will help a lot. I likely could get by without L2, but taking advantage of the EVSE rebate and prepping for a possible future Bolt or other pure EV down the line while the government is willing to help out seems prudent.

I currently have no easy access to a 240V outlet so I’ve received a quote from an electrician who would put one in the garage along with an appropriate panel, wiring and a L2 charger. He has suggested a Schneider EV230WS. I’m a little wary of this unit as a quick forum search suggests some of the units had problems with the Gen I Volt. Plus the enclosure is only NEMA 1 (indoor only certified) and the warranty is a mere 18 months indicating it’s not the most robust unit out there. Is anyone currently using one with a Gen. II Volt and if so how are you liking it?

My wariness with the Schneider has me considering other comparable 30 amp chargers and I’d love any feedback/opinions/advice. Here’s what I’m considering:

GE Wattstation
This comes with a three year warranty, a NEMA 3 enclosure (weather resistant for outdoors) and is available via Costco (pain free for returns should you have a problem). Otherwise it seems like a simple, basic no-frills unit, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing given it means less to go wrong. A bit of digging reveals some forum users have reported issues with these chargers in the past, but I wonder if that’s still relevant with the Gen. II.

ChargePoint Home (CPH25)
This looks like one of the most compact units and it too comes with a three year warranty and a NEMA 3 enclosure. But the defining feature seems to be WiFi and connectivity with your smartphone via their app. I know the Volt tends to handle delayed charging very well and the myChevrolvet does a pretty good job of monitoring, alerting and even allows for some changing of charge settings, so much of this value added connectivity is reduntant. Also even with all this connectivity one thing I’m still awaiting an answer on is whether the charger will automagically resume charging after the power returns in the event of a blackout. I hope it does otherwise that’s a major oversight. It also seems on the higher side when it comes to the price tag and I wonder if the connectivity and small footprint are worth the premium.

Sun Country Highway EV40R/Clipper Creek HCS-40
This looks fairly compact (in between a Wattstation and a ChargePoint) and looks to be the most durable with a NEMA 4 enclosure (outdoor and watertight rated) plus a five year warranty. Clipper Creek is very well regarded in these parts so I’m confident in the hardware, but I wonder if service is as good dealing with Sun Country Highway. It also seems similar to the Wattstation in that it looks to be a simple no frills unit (a few indicator lights with no buttons, WiFi or app.), but I’m told it does resume charging automagically after a blackout. The one draw back is this appears to be the priciest charger of the bunch and I’m wondering if that’s justified.

Flo Home
This is brand new and built in Canada. It’s so new it's not even out yet with a promised arrival early this autumn. It looks quite attractive (aluminum with a built in holder and cord stand) and the specs point to being rugged NEMA 4X (watertight, outdoor and corrosion resistant). My worry with it is that it’s brand new and there’s no track record plus not promising a firm release date is worrisome. It’s also on the pricy side even with a pre-release sign-up discount.

So if any one can share any experience/feedback/opinions you have about any of these L2 chargers or any others, especially if you’re in Ontario, it would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you looked into the JuiceBox? Those also seem to be a no frills type unit, and my understanding is that they're pretty robust as well. It's a little higher than the 30A your looking at, but if you think that at some point in the future you might move up to something that has higher charging capability (bolt perhaps?) perhaps going for this unit ($499 US) might be more cost effective. It does come with a 3 year warranty.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Freshcut, Yes I see the Juicebox on Amazon.com but it's absent from Amazon.ca. That puts it in a grey area where even if they are willing to ship it would cross the border and I could be possibly on the hook for customs and duty which could add a significant extra to the final price tag. I also see that it's absent from the MTO list HighlanderICT linked so I may have trouble collecting the 50%/$500 (which ever is the lessor) rebate. Both those factors put it significantly behind the other choices.

#11 ·
Henry_FL Thanks I appreciate it. I have seen that thread. Unfortunately I don't have an existing 240V outlet in my garage. When I asked about getting just a 240V outlet installed so I could do the adapter mod with the OEM charger and get L2 on the cheap, the pricing I received form the electrician was pretty close to my grand total minus a L2 charger (it's my understanding that the current panel is maxed out so there's more involved than just adding an outlet). A second quote/estimate would be good insurance to confirm that, but given the gov't incentives we have for putting in an L2 charger, the investment in a 240V outlet or two, panel upgrade and L2 charger with room to grow seems like a good investment.

#12 ·
Stop looking for ways to dispose of your hard earned cash!!...just make a 240/120 adapter and use the EVSE that came with the car. You should be able to get the parts at Cdn Tire or Home Hardware for <$20. I did that back in June and have been charging daily with no issues whatsoever.

#16 ·
Benzimidazone if it was just a matter of building the adapter and plugging it into a outlet I would visit the hardware store and give it a shot, but I've been told by an electrician that wiring, a new panel and outlet are required and I'm not comfortable learning as I go to do that when it comes to high voltage electricity. I'd rather be cautious and ensure everything is done properly, safely and up to code to handle the car's daily draw.

#13 · (Edited)
All of the 30-amp options are overkill for Volt. Yes, I would do all the electrical work since it is obviously needed anyway. Have it wired for 50-amps but downgrade the breakers to 30-amp and use a 20-amp EVSE. If/when the car is replaced, buy an EVSE that is appropriate for it's charge rate.

Or, install the baddest 40-amp EVSE and never do it again. With all the work discussed, an extra $300 for a bigger EVSE sounds like it is in budget. (This is what I did.)

I have an older 40-amp GE and have had zero issues. The newer GEs seem less well built to me. Going by forum posts, a Clipper Creek 40-amp unit sounds like a good choice.

#19 ·
Thanks Loboc, we're on a similar wavelength. Yes, even a minimal spec. L2 would get the job done for the Volt given its on vehicle hardware, but as we move towards an E.V. future I doubt today's just good enough charger will be just that for new cars even a handful of years in the future. So while it's in the budget and I may as well prep. the wiring and panel/breaker to handle a bigger draw. Those in theory should last a log time but an EVSE given the typical three year warranty is probably the weak point and can be upgraded down the line as tech. improves and cars demand it. I also appreciate the feedback on G.E. units—newer designs aren't always better especially when cost cutting may be involved.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm in Ontario and have the Sun Country Highway but if I were to do it again I would get the EV-Duty. Looks like a great little unit and that it's made in Canada is a nice bonus. Besides, it gets cold up here. Although this video is in French you'll get the idea when you watch it, the EVduty has a cord that stays pliable in the cold.

#18 ·
Thanks Sly Bob. This video is interesting. My rudimentary French (the school system ensures I can have an existential debate in French with a sentient pineapple but I'm lost when it comes to small talk with a native French speaker) indicates it was -17˚C the day it was filmed. In theory the Sun Country/Clipper unit should be able to handle those temperatures just fine as EV40 claims to operate as low as -30˚C. Clearly the proof is in the video showing the EV-Duty's cord remains flexible and handles those temperatures much better. Whether things have changed since winter of 2014 I'm unsure, but it seems to me EV-Duty is using materials in its cords that remain much more flexible at cold temperatures.

I'm in Ontario and have the Sun Country Highway but if I were to do it again I would get the EV-Duty. Looks like a great little unit and that it's made in Canada is a nice bonus. Besides, it gets cold up here. Although this video is in French you'll get the idea when you watch it, the EVduty has a cord that stays pliable in the cold.

#21 ·
Shaft,
This is a very good question and I've wondered it myself. As with all things political it ultimately depends on the budget, polls and what political gain can be achieved from it. I believe the promised start date was beginning next year (2017), but I can see that happening closer to spring than winter. The next provincial election is happening on or before Oct. 4, 2018 and Wynne will smartly want to time this and any announcements in the coming two years to maximise political good will among voters.

As for the how, well the government knows who has an E.V. from both the rebate and the vehicle registrations so it seems to me an easy way to provide free charging would be to pick a super off-peak window (likely some time in the middle of the night) where we have excess electricity that's going to waste and apply a discount to the electricity bills of those houses equal to an E.V. charge if and when they charge during those super off-peak times. A more precise way would likely involve installing a separate electricity usage/monitoring box/meter but that would be incredibly time consuming and costly solution in comparison and be viewed as incredibly wasteful by many voters and her political opposition.

#17 ·
I have the Schneider unit hardwired in my garage, and am using with my gen 1 with no issues. The EVSE was an added bonus that came with the car from the seller. I estimate it's about 3 years old and as of today is working just fine. It was exceedingly easy to mount and wire in. I had an electrician add a dedicated circuit, and then he and I together did the wiring and mounting. Took about 1.5 hours start to finish.

Good luck with which ever unit you select.....having L2 charging is really a worthwhile upgrade

Mark

#22 ·
Do you utilize smart meters? I know several years ago most power companies here in the US rolled out a widespread smart meter upgrade. These meters communicate directly with the utility company in near real time and report everything back regarding usage and even lets them know if there is a service failure. Most power companies already utilize TOU (Time Of Use) plans where you are charged differently based on when you use (peak, partial-peak, off-peak).

#23 ·
Yes, most of us have smart meters.
In all likelihood, it will be a TOU profile available for registered/confirmed EV addresses only (i.e. you claimed the rebate).

P.s. les ananas ne parlent pas!

#24 ·
I purchased the EVDuty. I also got a free holster from the place I ordered from in Ste Jerome Que. Shipping was very fast and you pay Ontario 13% tax.

#26 ·
My point is that you are not installing a nuclear reactor or charging the Enterprise. I find it hard to believe that the cost of installing a plug is almost the same as the cost of installing an entire charger! This is a dinky little 15 amp circuit. The Volt EVSE only takes 12 amps! Everyone seems to want to build these high capacity systems when they likely will never use it. What will most likely happen is that when you replace the car (most likely with another electric version) sometime in the distant future, the requirements will be different then. My philosophy is to install what I need, when i need it and keep my money in my pocket.

#28 ·
Not everyone can DIY.
Just having an electrician to your house to do the job is going to cost you a couple hundred (or more if it's hard to fish wires), plus permit.
Since you're doing the work anyway, you should get better wire in than you need so you don't have to pay again if you want to upgrade, and the marginal cost of wire isn't much when you consider what you're paying for labour and permits.
Add in a 50% rebate from the government and you might as well get an entire second EVSE for not much more than paying for electrician + adapter parts without any rebate.

If you can DIY or have the outlet already in place - absolutely cheaper to go the adapter route.

#27 ·
I have the elmec evduty unit and can answer any questions. In my case also there was minimal difference between just putting in a plug and installing the L2. Either way the electrician had to drill from the basement to the garage, run a wire, and install a plug and breaker. The only difference was the size of wire for a 32a circuit. Plus Quebec only refunds part of the cost of the I installation only if you install an l2. We 250$ for the install and 350$ for the evse

#31 · (Edited)
I have been using the Schneider Electric EV230WS unit for 8 months with both a Nissan Leaf and Gen2 Volt. Works perfectly and was an easy install. (I live in Ontario and picked up the unit cheap at Home Depot and the provincial government was kind enough to reimburse me for half the cost of the unit.)

So yea, I'd recommended it.

#32 ·
I use 2 Level 2 EVSE. I have a Eaton 30amp installed in my garage and I have a Bosch 16amp I use at work. they are both indoor/outdoor units, the Eaton is only installed in my garage since there is no convenient location to install it outside.

They both work quite well, in a pinch I also have the adapters for the Gen2 EVSE that comes with the car to enable 240v 12amp charging.

#34 ·
Just flip the breaker on and off, does it resume charging automatically, or just pause in error state?

IIRC the stock 120V does not resume, but my CC 240V does.

#39 ·
Since a couple of people have mentioned purchasing from the US (such as amazon.com or going to the Clipper Creek website directly rather than Sun Country Highway), I thought I'd remind the OP that in order to be eligible for the Ontario EVSE Rebate:

"To receive a rebate, your charging station must: ..... have been purchased in Canada from a Canadian source"

from http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-incentive-program.shtml

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.