GM Volt Forum banner

L2 Home Charging Options in Ontario

11K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  gadgeTT 
#1 ·
After three weeks with the Volt I’m thinking about investing in L2 charging. So far I’ve made it work with L1 charging at home and topping up at work, but with winter coming and what I assume will be some diminished range having L2 at home to cut charging time in half will help a lot. I likely could get by without L2, but taking advantage of the EVSE rebate and prepping for a possible future Bolt or other pure EV down the line while the government is willing to help out seems prudent.

I currently have no easy access to a 240V outlet so I’ve received a quote from an electrician who would put one in the garage along with an appropriate panel, wiring and a L2 charger. He has suggested a Schneider EV230WS. I’m a little wary of this unit as a quick forum search suggests some of the units had problems with the Gen I Volt. Plus the enclosure is only NEMA 1 (indoor only certified) and the warranty is a mere 18 months indicating it’s not the most robust unit out there. Is anyone currently using one with a Gen. II Volt and if so how are you liking it?

My wariness with the Schneider has me considering other comparable 30 amp chargers and I’d love any feedback/opinions/advice. Here’s what I’m considering:

GE Wattstation
This comes with a three year warranty, a NEMA 3 enclosure (weather resistant for outdoors) and is available via Costco (pain free for returns should you have a problem). Otherwise it seems like a simple, basic no-frills unit, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing given it means less to go wrong. A bit of digging reveals some forum users have reported issues with these chargers in the past, but I wonder if that’s still relevant with the Gen. II.

ChargePoint Home (CPH25)
This looks like one of the most compact units and it too comes with a three year warranty and a NEMA 3 enclosure. But the defining feature seems to be WiFi and connectivity with your smartphone via their app. I know the Volt tends to handle delayed charging very well and the myChevrolvet does a pretty good job of monitoring, alerting and even allows for some changing of charge settings, so much of this value added connectivity is reduntant. Also even with all this connectivity one thing I’m still awaiting an answer on is whether the charger will automagically resume charging after the power returns in the event of a blackout. I hope it does otherwise that’s a major oversight. It also seems on the higher side when it comes to the price tag and I wonder if the connectivity and small footprint are worth the premium.

Sun Country Highway EV40R/Clipper Creek HCS-40
This looks fairly compact (in between a Wattstation and a ChargePoint) and looks to be the most durable with a NEMA 4 enclosure (outdoor and watertight rated) plus a five year warranty. Clipper Creek is very well regarded in these parts so I’m confident in the hardware, but I wonder if service is as good dealing with Sun Country Highway. It also seems similar to the Wattstation in that it looks to be a simple no frills unit (a few indicator lights with no buttons, WiFi or app.), but I’m told it does resume charging automagically after a blackout. The one draw back is this appears to be the priciest charger of the bunch and I’m wondering if that’s justified.

Flo Home
This is brand new and built in Canada. It’s so new it's not even out yet with a promised arrival early this autumn. It looks quite attractive (aluminum with a built in holder and cord stand) and the specs point to being rugged NEMA 4X (watertight, outdoor and corrosion resistant). My worry with it is that it’s brand new and there’s no track record plus not promising a firm release date is worrisome. It’s also on the pricy side even with a pre-release sign-up discount.

So if any one can share any experience/feedback/opinions you have about any of these L2 chargers or any others, especially if you’re in Ontario, it would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#41 ·
I just wanted to update this thread to thank everyone for their input/help. I went with the Clipper Creek HCS40R/Sun Country Highway EV40R. It was a little pricy but I felt the history of good customer service I've read on these forums as well as the longer warranty were worth it. Thus far it has performed perfectly and it has been extremely helpful keeping me in electric power during my commute as the winter weather has arrived.

#42 ·
I'm thinking of doing a self install with the ESA inspection. Probably for some sort of 40amp charger (actually 30a it seems).
Is a disconnect required next to the charger?
If I go with a plug style, does that negate the need for a disconnect?
Can I get the rebate on a plug style charger without an ESA inspection?
I read the code and it is a little ambiguous. It seems that a disconnect is definitely required if you go 60amp or larger, but may also be required for any charger operating at greater than 150v.

#43 ·
My circuit is 30A, no disconnect required. Fully outdoors.
I believe the reason for having them on ACs, for example, is to allow for safe servicing of the unit.
EVSEs would not be serviced in the field, but rather disconnected entirely and (probably shipped and) serviced.
Plug units do this anyway by being unplugged.

Inspection had always been required to get the rebate. If you have a plug, it would involve a certificate for that outlet.
My certificate actually said 'EV OUTLET' despite being hardwired. That's all you need the inspection to say.

#44 ·
Thanks...
I reread the code requirement about the disconnect it said greater than 60amp or 150v to ground. They key is to ground. 240v is only 120v to ground. The 240v is only hot to hot, not hot to ground or neutral. I think I will still put a disconnect in though.

#46 ·
I recently replaced my aging (4 year old) Voltec charger that I used with my 2013 Gen 1 Volt. I got the ChargePoint, too, and have been very happy with it thus far. Good deal at Amazon, too ;-)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.