Is the Volt a throwaway car? Owning past 5yr/100k miles...
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 3 7 LastLast

Thread: Is the Volt a throwaway car? Owning past 5yr/100k miles...

Quote Originally Posted by quantumorbit View Post
    I came across this blog with an interesting point of view, if a car is expensive and hard to repair, it's trash after the warranty expires. The author claims the Tesla Model S falls in this category.

It's no secret the Volt is designed to require the dealer more than it should, so what do you think will happen now that we're reaching this point of Volts' warranties expiring in massive quantities?

https://syonyk.blogspot.se/2016/03/i...away-cars.html

Definitely not the best forum to ask this. You are in a round about way asking whether a large number of the members of this site have possibly made an unwise financial decision, if that was part of their motivation. I also suspect a majority of Volt owners haven't considered grabbing a transmission out of a junkyard and throwing it in on a Saturday and so have no perspective on what you are talking about.

I agree in the sense that the Volt is a great car, just don't own one. While I really admire the Voltec drivetrain, I have dissuaded a few people from buying a Volt and instead steer them towards considering a lease. If their main concern is being financially prudent, I recommend going with something with a known track record.

Controls systems that require specialized training and equipment to diagnose/fix will generally lose to simpler ones if the acquisition cost is the same. Unless it was dirt cheap, I wouldn't own one without a warranty.
    2014 Cadillac ELR
    2012 Volt Summit White-gone Dec 2015-49995 miles of Voltec fun
    2003 Avalanche 1500
    1996 C3500

Quote Originally Posted by quantumorbit View Post
    Can you share some additional information on this service shop certification out of the Authorized GM Dealer network? I like the Volt so much that I'm willing to invest in promoting, importing and selling them locally, but I need to figure out the support aspect first.
    I'd PM WOT about it. That's where I heard it. I'm sure he can provide details.

Here's an article, but it's weak on details: http://www.searchautoparts.com/abrn/...e-independents

Try a Google search: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+certification

Every once in a while there is a repair price quoted somewhere for some component that we've historically seen CAN fail on these cars, and the price is cost prohibitive for the car in question.

There is a Facebook thread now about someone who says get rid of your 70K+ mile Volts because they're in for a $7,000 repair of the motor stator (bearing)? All of us know this is a repair covered to 8/100 under Voltec, but this individual says he not only paid for it, but has it failing again 40K miles later. This kind of post tugs at your heartstrings of dealership service departments "running up the bill" for services that they're not even sure they need to do because they've not seen the problem before. We know some of this happens under warranty already, and know that they have a hotline to GM engineering/super techs as needed if they choose to use it.

What is impressive to me is the repair dollar value to make a car worthless seems to be well below $5,000 for a 2011 and newer vehicle. Anecdotally there are many battery degraded Nissan Leafs that missed the warranty, are range limited to below Chevy Volt EV numbers, and the current owners can't justify paying out for a battery replacement that might get them another 4 years of use from the vehicle.

I haven't heard enough similar stories on the Volt, and can't remember any on older higher mileage cars. I guess I'll keep up with my plan of three more years ownership to see what I have with a 100,000 mile car!
    2014 Chevy Volt Black - 40,000 plus trouble-free and mostly EV miles
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    2004 Chevy Silverado Z-71

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

$7000 for the rotor bearing repair? Used Volt transmissions are going for$1400-1800.
    2014 Volt, Brownstone Metallic, Loaded.
    Penguin-The other white meat.

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by silverone View Post
    Every once in a while there is a repair price quoted somewhere for some component that we've historically seen CAN fail on these cars, and the price is cost prohibitive for the car in question.

There is a Facebook thread now about someone who says get rid of your 70K+ mile Volts because they're in for a $7,000 repair of the motor stator (bearing)? All of us know this is a repair covered to 8/100 under Voltec, but this individual says he not only paid for it, but has it failing again 40K miles later. This kind of post tugs at your heartstrings of dealership service departments "running up the bill" for services that they're not even sure they need to do because they've not seen the problem before. We know some of this happens under warranty already, and know that they have a hotline to GM engineering/super techs as needed if they choose to use it.

What is impressive to me is the repair dollar value to make a car worthless seems to be well below $5,000 for a 2011 and newer vehicle. Anecdotally there are many battery degraded Nissan Leafs that missed the warranty, are range limited to below Chevy Volt EV numbers, and the current owners can't justify paying out for a battery replacement that might get them another 4 years of use from the vehicle.

I haven't heard enough similar stories on the Volt, and can't remember any on older higher mileage cars. I guess I'll keep up with my plan of three more years ownership to see what I have with a 100,000 mile car!
    Is the FB complainer from Tennessee? If so, he was on this forum about a year or two ago complaining about how volts were bad and not nearly as good as the BMWs he previously owned. We later discovered that he drives very spirited and pretty much wore his bearings out by driving like Jeff Gordon.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

If you plan on being a long term Volt owner, then find a Chevy dealer you trust and build a long term relationship with them. At a point the saturation of Volts on the road will result in experienced qualified and honest service departments just about everywhere. My 2011 with 82,000 miles on the odometer has not cost me a dime in repairs. Yes it has had repairs all warranty covered. None of those repairs any more traumatic than any other cars failures which I've paid for in the past. The fact that we save probably $1000 to $2000 a year on gasoline alone is a buffer justification to keep a Volt long term also. I looked at my brakes the other day when rotating tires they are barely worn. My BMW and my Volvo had cost me hundreds of dollars in brake repairs by 80,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
    $7000 for the rotor bearing repair? Used Volt transmissions are going for$1400-1800.
    There is no lack of shoot first and ask questions later. Facebook attracts this in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    Is the FB complainer from Tennessee? If so, he was on this forum about a year or two ago complaining about how volts were bad and not nearly as good as the BMWs he previously owned. We later discovered that he drives very spirited and pretty much wore his bearings out by driving like Jeff Gordon.
    Not sure where this guy is from, but I'd guess somewhere in the Northeast. Some aspects of his story seem like they could be credible, but some - not so much. Didn't post name as it can be found as needed from misspellings in post etc.

Copied from his post...

Hello Everyone, 2012 Chevy Volt owner, purchased in November 2011, now have 148,000 miles on it.
    At 70,000 miles, car had to go in to have staters replaced.
    At 120,000miles, car went in for three months, staters replaced, onboard computer system replaced, total repair bill almost 7k.
    Four months later, I feel this car is going to die at any moment. Every day for the last few weeks, power propulsion reduced comes on every day, sometimes before I even move the car in the morning, just turn it on, and that's the first message that comes up.
    I'll be dropping it off with the dealership next week, but I have a feeling, I'll need some Vaseline again very soon. Love my Volt, but after 70k, expect problems, and costly repairs.
    2014 Chevy Volt Black - 40,000 plus trouble-free and mostly EV miles
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    2004 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Do you ever wonder where do your totaled vehicles go? For some reason you guys stay away from vehicles with an accident showing in the history report. These repaired cars sometimes go for half the price of another exactly the same but without the accident. So even if they can be repaired, they're usually not repaired because there's no market for them.... in the US that is.

Well, they go to the third world. I estimate that 80% of the vehicles sold in Honduras come from these insurance auctions. There's a huge industry around this. They ship 3 cars inside a Chiquita refrigerated container (we export a lot of fruit and is cheap to ship using these returning containers), they process these cars like huge car factories. They get repaired and sold. I suspect the Volt is simply going to the junk yards in the US, there's simply no Know How in these markets to buy a wrecked Volt and repair it.

Here are some pictures:
    IMG_5084.jpg
    Votainer.jpg

This is how I shipped mine:
    IMG_5144.jpg
    IMG_4946.jpg
    IMG_4954.jpg
    1985 Mercedes 200

12. Advertisement

Nice wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by John Denson on Facebook
    At 120,000miles, car went in for three months, staters replaced, onboard computer system replaced, total repair bill almost 7k.
    A little more to the story.......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 3 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text