Is the Volt a throwaway car? Owning past 5yr/100k miles...
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast

Thread: Is the Volt a throwaway car? Owning past 5yr/100k miles...

Default Is the Volt a throwaway car? Owning past 5yr/100k miles...

I came across this blog with an interesting point of view, if a car is expensive and hard to repair, it's trash after the warranty expires. The author claims the Tesla Model S falls in this category.

It's no secret the Volt is designed to require the dealer more than it should, so what do you think will happen now that we're reaching this point of Volts' warranties expiring in massive quantities?

https://syonyk.blogspot.se/2016/03/i...away-cars.html
    1985 Mercedes 200

Your link is just click bait
    2013 Crystal Red Volt #39239 - New off the lot 8/28/2014
    Make Your Stock charger 240V for 30 bucks! Hidden Content

Our Volts will probably be throw away at some point, a long way down the road. We plan to drive them a long time, probably never to the mileage Eric has with Sparky, but still a long way. Some of our warranties have already expired, but since nothing has failed so far I'm quite comfortable with them.
    Ghostgs1 Joule B2690 Hidden Content
    Ghostgs2 Blackie E162612 Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Solar electric system, grid tie 11,150 watts
    Mitsubishi Mr. Slim heat pump
    EGO lawn mower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Nearly all cars are consumable items, possibly excepting a few rare "garage queens" that might increase in value over time.
    The idea that a Tesla or Volt would be anything but something to use and use up puzzles me.
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-05-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    A study in opposites
    1997 Jeep Cherokee
    2013 Chevy Volt "OHM-RIDE"

My 2013 threw a code in 2014, haven't had a problem since. I think she will be good for 120k to 150k miles. Maybe more.
    Her LRR tires, on the other hand, didn't last more than a couple years...

My Volt is over five years old. Still working just fine. I don't see the Volt being that expensive to repair. It's a Chevy, which means you are not in MB, BMW, or Tesla territory. If you're concerned about expensive repairs, get an extended service plan. They are reasonably priced. Less than the cost of one large repair for a seven year extension.

That said, while cars are lasting longer, they don't last forever. At some point all cars are disposable.

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Not only are most cars disposable (except for collectors cars) they depreciate like crazy. So financially, you are probably better off driving a purchased volt for 10+ years rather than trading 2 or 3 cars in during that same timeframe. I've driven several cars to 200k miles, no problem. Yes, the powertrain warranty expires at 100k miles, and you typically need suspension work at some point, but most expenses of maintaining a car are far less than buying or leasing a new one.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

The assumed predicate is that the Volt has a failure rate typical of an ICE vehicle. It does not. Even if an expensive-to-repair failure does occur post-warranty, the owner could apply some of the past and future operating and maintenance savings to getting it fixed.

KNS

Default Is the Volt a throwaway car? Owning past 5yr/100k miles...

Guys, you're missing the point. I've had my Volt for less than a month and this car has awaken my enthusiasm for cars. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Volt and probably in my hands it will live a long time. I have 3 mercedes that I keep alive 1985 200, 1989 560SEL, 1993 500SEL, so I can relate to this article. For example, my 560SEL cost me $6600, but I invested in it about $9k. Is it worth $15 now? Maybe not, but in order for me to enjoy this car I had to do it. It doesn't make financial sense to most people, it does to me because I didn't buy the car as a business, I bought to keep. I put the money in it to enjoy it, not to resell it. The difference is, I can get parts and plenty of mechanics that can work on them. A lot I do it myself.

The point is....
    If a car is hard and expensive to repair, the repair costs will be too much compared to the residual value of the car. So people decide NOT to repair and sell cheap. Some of these cars are then purchased my DIYs that keep them alive. But the Volt is not a DIY car, it's not even a car that can be fixed at any shop, well it can only be fixed at certain Chevy dealers !

My opinion.....

My enthusiasm for the Volt has me reading about it everyday (it's my hobby now). And I do think the point made in this article applies here. Just read the recent threads: all these problems need a specialized Volt dealer to fix. Even replacing the coolant is not a DIY job, but it isn't a regular LUBE job either (see: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....ant-Change-DIY). For those that don't know, I imported mine to Honduras, where there's a GM dealer but NO support for the Volt. I still bought the car and I'm aware of the challenges I'll face.

Just read the threads on the infamous HV Battery coolant level sensor! Today the concern is loosing time at the dealer, tomorrow you'll have to pay for all this. Think about it.

So...
    Can we be less fanatical about the car we love and try to be more objective here. If you claim this article is garbage and the Volts out there will last many miles/years after the warranty expires, please back your statement with some reasoning.

Peace and Love.... lets keep Volting
    Last edited by quantumorbit; 09-05-2016 at 12:49 PM.
    1985 Mercedes 200

12. Advertisement

The really complex and expensive parts of a Volt have a long warranty on them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text