Is the Volt a throwaway car? Owning past 5yr/100k miles...
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 7

Thread: Is the Volt a throwaway car? Owning past 5yr/100k miles...

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by Runion View Post
    I first heard of the THROWAWAY car back in the 70's. I recall the cars from the 60's, 70's and 80's and the auto industry was hitting us in the face with the direction the automobile was going. Different brands had their own body styles in the 50's then along come unibody and the bodies become standard for all brands. Remember the Chevy roof line, ON A CADILLAC??? Now all of this cheapness was not all bad. Even though most of us looked down on the new designs, we became safer with car bodies that crush to save the passenger compartment. The car is totaled, but the passenger in most events, would walk away.

I believe most of us who have jumped onto the VOLT parade were inspired by its technology. I myself had considered BUILDING an electric car but couldn't find the time to do it. Chevy did all the hard work for me and gave me a great stereo, nav, bluetooth, USB playback, a solid, quiet car body, and it goes on. LEST WE FORGET THE 5th SEAT, HAHAHahahahaha.
    I suppose like everything else, the VOLT will age, the dealers will become more distant for repairs, parts will become tuff to find. Some of us will keep our VOLTS out of fondness and reliability, hazarding to find parts and do repairs ourselves. Others will trade to upgrade to new technology, a better body design, better room inside.
    When I bought the VOLT, I didn't think I'd see Auto Pilot driving in my time. I am now thinking that I may very much OWN a self piloted car in the future.
    Ownership is always a personal decision. Everyone looks at their car in a different light. Some just drive them and trade off for new every few years. Others really enjoy the car and tend to keep them as long as they can afford them. The collectors enjoy showing the car for its technological strides as the Automobile industry continues to advance in technology.
    How long a car is kept by an owner will all come down to the connection with his/her car and how much he/she might be willing to spend in time, money and very hard work to keep the car running. I don't believe this has changed at all. Only the technology has changed. We all still have our favorite rides.
    I just love how dodge brought back the challenger/charger and gave us a modern version of their classic muscle car. Ford and Chevy have done similar things with the Mustang, Camaro, and Corvette. But wouldn't it be cool to get a modernized Plymouth Superbird, or a Buick grand National or T-Type with an EV or Voltec drivetrain? Add AWD and you'd have a definite winner. Better yet, get me a 1996 Impala SS
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

Quote Originally Posted by G-PA View Post
    Well, that's your opinion, not a fact. The fact is that the Voltec warranty is 8 years. Other things bare commonality to ice vehicles. But the ice engine should last longer in the Volt, if for no other reason, than it has less run time than a conventional ice, given the same mileage. Then there are brakes, typically a high maintenance item for ice vehicles, which again, enjoy longer service life in the Volt, due to regenerative braking ( and has been well documented on these forums). I am anticipating keeping mine at least eight years, which is longer than my wife and I have owned any other vehicle. I don't believe the facts support your opinion.
    Did you even read the article?

I'm pretty sure there's correlation between the resale value of a Corolla and its reliability, low cost of ownership, easy to repair, availability and low price of parts, etc... There's also a reason why a $100k Mercedes S Class can be bought so cheap after the warranty expires.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumorbit View Post
    Did you even read the article?

I'm pretty sure there's correlation between the resale value of a Corolla and its reliability, low cost of ownership, easy to repair, availability and low price of parts, etc... There's also a reason why a $100k Mercedes S Class can be bought so cheap after the warranty expires.
    The correlation isn't all that much, unless the past-warranty Merc is cheaper than the Corolla...
    2012 Standard w/ Navigation

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    I just love how dodge brought back the challenger/charger and gave us a modern version of their classic muscle car. Ford and Chevy have done similar things with the Mustang, Camaro, and Corvette. But wouldn't it be cool to get a modernized Plymouth Superbird, or a Buick grand National or T-Type with an EV or Voltec drivetrain? Add AWD and you'd have a definite winner. Better yet, get me a 1996 Impala SS
    There's enough 80's nostalgia out there to bear a modern Firebird, I think. Night Rider is streamable now.
    2012 Standard w/ Navigation

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    YEAH, I have a soft spot in my heart for those cars as well as the ROAD RUNNER.

But back to the throw away thought, PARTS ASIDE, after warrentee, the death blow will be when the dealer either gets outragously expensive or we no longer have the dealer to read the computers data for trouble.
    The VOLT Gen 1 and Gen 2 are tied to the dealer, even if we do not want to admit it. The Volt has a need for dealer assistance no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Runion View Post
    YEAH, I have a soft spot in my heart for those cars as well as the ROAD RUNNER.

But back to the throw away thought, PARTS ASIDE, after warrentee, the death blow will be when the dealer either gets outragously expensive or we no longer have the dealer to read the computers data for trouble.
    The VOLT Gen 1 and Gen 2 are tied to the dealer, even if we do not want to admit it. The Volt has a need for dealer assistance no matter what.
    I can think of six ways the Volt is tied to the dealer:
    1. Access to the online GM Volt maintenance website is limited to dealers.
    2. Access to GM's Volt training is limited to dealers.
    3. Access to engineering's 800 number is limited to dealers.
    4. Access to the master list of bulletins, fixes, shared tips, etc., is limited to dealers.
    5. The specialized tools are expensive.
    6. The maintenance manual is expensive.

We have a dealer in San Antonio who sells and services used Ferraris and the like. That might work in a few cities for EVs.

WOT posted something about a per-job subscription, but I don't know what that covers.

Hello..... If the repair manuals are well written and easy to read then there are many repairs that can be DIY. This should extend the life considerablly. Or better yet the video's mentioned in one earlier post. Except for the part about getting killed by high volts, So caution and good gloves will be required.

Many are getting ++100K miles, not sure what %.

I wonder how long will it be before GM loses thier grip on the below info? The Volt will need a website or new section here to help those who repair things themselves. last weekend I downloaded repair manual sections for free on a older Infiniti car.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg3 View Post
    I can think of six ways the Volt is tied to the dealer:
    1. Access to the online GM Volt maintenance website is limited to dealers.
    2. Access to GM's Volt training is limited to dealers.
    3. Access to engineering's 800 number is limited to dealers.
    4. Access to the master list of bulletins, fixes, shared tips, etc., is limited to dealers.
    5. The specialized tools are expensive.
    6. The maintenance manual is expensive.

We have a dealer in San Antonio who sells and services used Ferraris and the like. That might work in a few cities for EVs.

WOT posted something about a per-job subscription, but I don't know what that covers.
    2015 Volt Now. MY 2013 Lease gone, not my anymore.
    ect ect ect more past Cars. Dodge Super Bee 383 long gone.

I think the issue with the Volt is once you get past the warranty the resale value is low and the cost to repair a major system could be high. This leads to decisions to get rid of cars. Luckily the Volt is pretty dependable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 7

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text