WOTs COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR / SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM MESSAGE DEFEAT PLUG
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 3 13 18 LastLast

Thread: WOTs COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR / SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM MESSAGE DEFEAT PLUG

Yeah, I just made the drive and they charged me $200 to reset the code and didn't even replace the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
    ...AFAIK GM has not been analyzing these failures whatsoever... WOT
    WOT, thanks for the quick response to my earlier questions.
    Do you know if there is a higher quality or alternative fluid level sensor that might be available from a dealer, NAPA, etc?
    Does the defeat device come with any sort of warranty? What tools are needed to install it?

Thanks in advance.

KNS

Good Morning!

I just wanted to take a moment to advise all of you of the following information, which is published in the warranty booklet:

"This warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from modification or alteration to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors. Examples of the types of alterations that would not be covered include cutting, welding, or disconnecting of the vehicle's original equipment parts and components."

"Additionally, General Motors does not warranty non-GM parts, calibrations, and/or software modifications. The use of parts, control module calibrations, software modifications, and/or any other alterations not issued through General Motors will void the warranty coverage for those components that are damaged or otherwise affected by the installation of the non-GM part, control module calibration, software modification, and/or other alteration."

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to send our team a private message, at your convenience.

Kayla K.
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    If you have any further questions feel free to contact the
    Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Team:
    (877) 486-5846
    Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Hours:
    Monday - Friday 9AM to 9PM EST.
    Closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Default SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM

Quote Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
    Good Morning!

I just wanted to take a moment to advise all of you of the following information, which is published in the warranty booklet:

"This warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from modification or alteration to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors. Examples of the types of alterations that would not be covered include cutting, welding, or disconnecting of the vehicle's original equipment parts and components."

"Additionally, General Motors does not warranty non-GM parts, calibrations, and/or software modifications. The use of parts, control module calibrations, software modifications, and/or any other alterations not issued through General Motors will void the warranty coverage for those components that are damaged or otherwise affected by the installation of the non-GM part, control module calibration, software modification, and/or other alteration."

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to send our team a private message, at your convenience.

Kayla K.
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    Why doesn't GM redesign the sensor. This sensor is used in all GM cars in the windshield wiper reservoir, that's cold water. In the battery reservoir water may be hotter, this could lead to sensor failure. I really don't want to add mods to my Volt , but I just got my car back after 15 days, I did not enjoy that. Approx. $1000 worth of parts were changed including that $11 sensor, which may have been the problem all along
    c7 vette

Good Morning!

<snip>

Kayla K.
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    I would rather keep this in the open Kayla, I would like a definitive answer that this repair is cover under the 8/100K battery warranty as it is part of the battery management system.

Looks like this really should have a service bulletin of some sort to notify dealer there is a problem with what appears to be a large number of these parts. If GM is ignoring these failures and charging customer for defective part replacement multiple times (at a pretty exorbitant cost) perhaps one should ask the governmental agencies if a recall is in order. It certainly sounds like to me that the fix for the 2011/2012 (and placed into to Gen 1 production) was rushed into without the long term repercussions being considered. Certainly bricking the system for this coolant level sensor when the really critical issue is controlled via battery temp sensors was a bad decision.
    Diamond White #B2140 ecosister plate=SLRRYDER
    Crystal Red #C8885, Red-Rider plate=NO2OPEC Hidden Content
    Only 50 gallons purchased, fully charged off Solar , Keeping the utilities at bay.
    DRIVING for FREE! NO OPEC FEE!

Good Morning!

Kayla K.
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    Thanks for bringing that up Kayla.
    But I will point out that this device isn't a modification at all.
    Just an aftermarket replacement part with a slightly different mounting orientation. (Hence the name "WOTs Coolant Level Sensor")

WOT's Coolant Level Sensor has been thoroughly tested and it does no harm or damage to the vehicle. Additionally none of the software is altered or changed. In short, it does not contravene anything you have so kindly stated above.

What it DOES is prevent a scenario that has fast become devastating to the reputation of THE BEST plug-in car in today's market!

The design of this warning system and its mechanism for failure is something GM appears to not wish to take responsibility for on a relatively small group of "past model" cars. They are content to have the issue bring droves of Volts into the service departments and at the mercy of their technicians abilities and the dealers interpretation of the warranty coverage. THEN HAVE THEM DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN a few weeks, months, years, later!

We are fully prepared for a Magnuson Moss court challenge so fire away!
    Feel free to let me know when any Volt has been damaged through it's use (that will NEVER happen!)

WopOnTour

PS> Please remember, this is not a GM site. You are here as a guest of these forums and must abide by the rules outlined in the user agreement.
    Some may take your post above as some sort of veiled threat, or an attack on their freedom to choose what replacement parts they wish to use on a car that they own. I hope that was not your intent.
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 09-01-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

Rather odd that this Chevrolet Customer Svc account is radio silent for the last 3 weeks and then suddenly decides to pop up in this thread?

Morley Companies, Inc. Employee Reviews for Chevrolet Volt Advisor

From what I understand, this account is shared between the staff contracted by GM to operate the Volt/Spark/ELR Advisor team(s) and aren't GM employees. I hope there would be no need for lawyers.

Glad for all that have not experienced this issue but I have it nearly every 10k miles. Dealer guesses something new every time and says it's fixed, it's not. It gets more expensive each time too! First it was free, then a reprogram was 100 something (Incredible how they claimed the SHVCS message doesn't relate to the Voltec warranty!), now they wanted 300+ to replace a wiring harness that was spliced in place to add this stupid thing in the first place. It could be the harness, but the more I inspect it I'm pretty sure it's just this sensor.

My car has only had 1 other visit which was not related to this issue, so 75% of my visits are due to this. As WOT has stated there is no reimbursement for getting me to the dealer, no loaner car, and no coverage for the gas my truck takes to make my commute (which I'm lucky to have at least).

This has hugely impacted my opinion on the reliability of this car and faith in Chevy to make a good car. 1 visit to the dealer in 50k? Good car! 4 visits to the dealer in 50k? Junk.

Totally agree. I've even called the dealer for family members and attempted to intervene saying "just replace the damn sensor and reprogram HPCM2 please, that's all, we'll pay. Only to have that brand new sensor fail again a few months later! Grrrrrrr - WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 09-01-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added comment
    2012 Black Volt
    Morimoto 35w HIDs
    Bazooka Tube
    OEM Navigation - Added
    WOT's Coolant Sensor Defeat Hidden Content

Burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that an after-market part was actually cause of an issue that occurs after the part is installed. If you owned a car, installed a hitch to only carry your bike, and your engine blows down the road, the manufacturer can't just go "Oh, you installed a hitch, so you must have been towing things that exceeded the maximum rated tow capacity of the car, so we're not replacing your engine under warranty".

Now if you installed a hitch, then posted a video on Youtube of towing a 1,500 boat with your non-tow rated car, and THEN your engine blows....that is another story.

BINGO! - WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 09-01-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added comment
    2017 Arctic Blue Metallic Bolt EV
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

12. Advertisement

My 2013 has not had this issue yet, but it sounds to me like the "WOTs Coolant Level Sensor" is a good preventative measure. I plan to order one.

A few questions:

1. With this new sensor installed, if there is an actual drop in the coolant level, will any warning messages be triggered, or does it just keep the software happy, thinking the level is OK when maybe it isn't? If the latter is the case, I understand why you would want to check the coolant level on a regular basis. As I recall, the original level sensor was added to address a concern where coolant may be leaking internal to the battery and not be visible on the ground below the vehicle.

update: After re-reading page 1, it sounds like this device is plugged into the wiring harness to 'mimic' a good sensor with full fluid level and does NOT measure the fluid level in the coolant tank.

2. Could the process of installing the new sensor be reversed, and the old sensor re-installed without triggering additional fault codes?

update: I think maybe it could, assuming the process is done while the vehicle is 'asleep', correct?

I agree that a failing level sensor should not result in one or more battery high voltage isolation faults. The software SHOULD be (but apparently isn't) smart enough to determine the 'root cause' of the failure and suppress any 'downstream' faults caused by the root cause. I have worked on airplane maintenance systems that did this.
    Last edited by Fred_B; 08-31-2016 at 05:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 3 13 18 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text