WOTs COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR / SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM MESSAGE DEFEAT PLUG
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 12 17 LastLast

Thread: WOTs COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR / SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM MESSAGE DEFEAT PLUG

Quote Originally Posted by kns View Post
    Are there any data that suggests that these failures correlate with mileage, time, weather, road surface, etc? Are there any data suggesting that once a unit has been in service for a while it is more or less likely to fail? Do the failure rates tend to follow a bathtub curve, j-curve, etc?

Thanks in advance.

KNS
    AFAIK GM has not been analyzing these failures whatsoever. To the best of my knowledge the failed sensors ar not being requested by the GM warranty parts center and simply destroyed by the dealership.

However I have "collected" now 15 of the failed units (more are coming with a little help from my friends) and the failure appears to be within the internal bussing that is encapsulated in a sealed "potting" epoxy (a royal PITA to dissect let me tell you) of the reed switch.

IMO there is either an internal cold solder issue or mechanical vibrations and possibly temperature fluctuations are instigating the failures. The real problem is the issue often manifest intermittently. So when the tech checks the circuit using a DVOM or GDS2 may appears OK. These almost always result in a "comeback" for repeat failures.

But I have "close acquaintances" that have had a new sensor fail in 3-6 months TWICE! (which essentially instigated my desire to solve this issue once and for all, as in many cases it was I that turned them into Volt fans)

WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 08-30-2016 at 03:41 PM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
    Could an app like Torque Pro be used to clear a SHVCS message via an OBDII adapter? Then if this error did pop up, we could clear it, order the part, and install it? Or is the only way to clear the SHVCS code at the dealer?
    I asked the same thing on a different thread but haven't gotten a straight answer yet. From what I've read it seems that only dealer can do it.
    1985 Mercedes 200

Quote Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
    Could an app like Torque Pro be used to clear a SHVCS message via an OBDII adapter? Then if this error did pop up, we could clear it, order the part, and install it? Or is the only way to clear the SHVCS code at the dealer?
    Quote Originally Posted by quantumorbit View Post
    I asked the same thing on a different thread but haven't gotten a straight answer yet. From what I've read it seems that only dealer can do it.
    Have I ever led you astray bro?

I was hoping my initial post would clarify this but the "other" SHVCS thread also covers this in detail.
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....34#post3540034

In short, these DTCs cannot be cleared by issuing a "clear code" command by ANY scan tool.
    (including a GM-MDI and the GDS2 system used by the dealer)
    GM in their infinite wisdom has created this special "group" of DTCs that require a "reprogramming" of HPCM2 to dispatch.

The dealers will all say (eventually after churning the time clock a good while) that there was "an update necessary" but the reality is there's no actual "update" just the sequence of events during SPS programming that "unlatches" these software gates that keep these DTCs FAILING (or more correctly won't clear) EVEN if the part has been replaced with a good unit! lol

Typically the technician ends up scratching his/her head for hours thinking they missed something...

The trick with this "replacement part" is it needs to be installed BEFORE any condition with the coolant level sensor arises.

If you have the issue currently unfortunately that window has closed and you would have to install it AFTER the dealer is finished replacing the sensor and reflashing HPCM2 in order to prevent it from happening again.

About the only cars that this bypass plug won't work with are a small number of 2011s (and a few early 2012s) that may not have had the battery structural enhancement (side impact) campaign #11342 completed yet. THEY DONT HAVE A COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR OR THESE DTCS!

WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 09-06-2016 at 05:32 PM.

4. Advertisement

My ELR has a 40-month/50k B-T-B warranty. Why would I do this before it is out of warranty?
    Driving a show car. Every day!

Don't Pokemon and drive!

------------------------
    2014 Crystal Red ELR (REDD) code R w/Cashmere interior
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 10.2 on iPhone 6. MyCadillac App version 3.4.0
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Loboc View Post
    My ELR has a 40-month/50k B-T-B warranty. Why would I do this before it is out of warranty?
    I suppose you would order WOT's Coolant Level Sensor then simply install it? If you follow his detailed instructions there should be no reason to visit the GM service dept.
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 08-31-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loboc View Post
    Sure, that's a good thing. Having or receiving warranty coverage to pay for hours of waste labor is certainly a bonus.
    Too bad they won't reimburse you for having to drive on ICE for a week until they can get your car into the dealership for a day or two of spinning wheels. [insert "Jeopardy" theme music here]
    But who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky and not see this issue for a good while. (there's 2012s and 13s that haven't had it happen yet)
    But it IS the exact same sensor and software as used on the Volt.

Look I'm not trying to market this thing and make a million dollars or anything lol
    (in fact I receive $0 as it's not my component or investment in parts/assembly time)
    All I care about is the success of the Volt, and the satisfaction of it's owners. Why else do you think I'm here!!

You know me! I'm a by-the-book company man when it comes to this sort of stuff, but enough is enough
    I certainly wouldn't be assisting in the design and endorsing this thing if I didn't think it were necessary.
    But GM certainly won't be willing to recall every single Gen1 ever built! lol

My inner family circle has 6-Volts (some still under B2B) and they ALL now have WOT's coolant level sensor installed.
    About all I'll say about that

WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 08-31-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Default service high voltage charging system

Posted earlier about this message. Had it in June, the dealer reprogrammed battery module and another. Message returned again a month and a half later. Modules could not be programmed. After being in the dealership for 16 days, dealer replaced the following items
    22922224 Sensor $11.00
    22911435 module $167.00
    22911435 relay $569.00
    50300210 block relay Price ?
    12378390 coolant
    God knows what the labor would cost.
    Cost me nothing since the voltec system is under warranty for 8 years (volt is a 2012)
    I'll bet that the entire problem was the $11.00 sensor. (same sensor used in the washer fluid container!!)
    Prices were gotten off of Gene Culley's site.
    c7 vette

Quote Originally Posted by c6vette View Post
    Posted earlier about this message. Had it in June, the dealer reprogrammed battery module and another. Message returned again a month and a half later. Modules could not be programmed. After being in the dealership for 16 days, dealer replaced the following items
    22922224 Sensor $11.00
    22911435 module $167.00
    22911435 relay $569.00
    50300210 block relay Price ?
    12378390 coolant
    God knows what the labor would cost.
    Cost me nothing since the voltec system is under warranty for 8 years (volt is a 2012)
    I'll bet that the entire problem was the $11.00 sensor. (same sensor used in the washer fluid container!!)
    Prices were gotten off of Gene Culley's site.
    It's a bona-fide epidemic!
    Many dealers are replacing the relay junction block and/or battery coolant heater out of desperation in attempting to repair the P0AA6 that is automatically triggered to accompany the P1FFx series of DTCs for the coolant level sensor. They are then fooled by a changing isolation voltage readings displayed when the battery coolant heater is manually engaged by the scan tool (which is NORMAL behaviour actually)

The reality is it isn't actually detecting a "loss of isolation" as the P0AA6 seems to indicate simply because the DTC is being triggered due to the "Service High Voltage Charging System" software NOT the actual "conditions for setting" a P0AA6

Unless your coolant WAS actually low, I too suspect the level sensor is all it was!
    Glad to hear you had it covered under warranty, but the 16 days must have been hell.
    Here's a potential low-cost and painless solution to prevent future occurrences

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....70#post3573370
    Hot off the press!
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 12-02-2016 at 01:43 AM.

I too have had this repaired as a warranty item after 3/36K is over with, as it is part of the battery management system per my dealer. (been real good people BTW) Was lucky and I needed a wash and oil change anyway full service synthetic for $58.

From a ladder logic sort of perspective, this failed part is rarely detectable and when a out of parameter condition occurs it sets a non clearable DTC which points to all the wrong things. This looks like a pretty major software fault to me.

These sorts of error conditions should always be easily detectable, clear themselves with a part replacement and a clear scan codes. What was GM thinking when they designed this fix and production change back in 2012? DUH!
    Diamond White #B2140 ecosister plate=SLRRYDER
    Crystal Red #C8885, Red-Rider plate=NO2OPEC Hidden Content
    Only 50 gallons purchased, fully charged off Solar , Keeping the utilities at bay.
    DRIVING for FREE! NO OPEC FEE!

11. Advertisement

Money sent! My 2011 hasn't had this issue yet, and now it never will!

Thanks for getting this done, WOT!
    03/05/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
    03/08/2011 - (6000) Vehicle has been delivered to customer.

2011 VIN #1515 Viridian Joule (Hidden Content )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 12 17 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text