WOTs COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR / SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM MESSAGE DEFEAT PLUG
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 11 18 LastLast

Thread: WOTs COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR / SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM MESSAGE DEFEAT PLUG

Default WOTs COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR / SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM MESSAGE DEFEAT PLUG

OK folks, WOT's Replacement Coolant Level Sensor (SHVCS Defeat Plug) is ready for deployment!

I helped someone I know very well to create a low cost replacement level sensor that plugs into the connector harness the factory coolant level sensor.
    Once completed, (following the special instructions) it "mimics" a properly operating sensor at the correct coolant level, PERMANENTLY mitigating the possibility of ever getting the dreaded SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM (SHVCS) message.

Unfortunately, it's likely not a matter of IF but WHEN as these level sensors have been failing left and right (IMO due to a combination of temperature and vibration) and currently there's no plans to redesign the sensor. (apparently content on letting the dealers replace the sensors in some cases almost bi-annually! lol) LOTS of documented cases in our main SHVCS thread here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....m-quot-Message

The only real caveat in using the WOT's Coolant Level Sensor (SHVCS Defeat Plug) is that the owner must visually check their battery coolant level at least monthly (as outlined in the owner's manual) just as car owners have been doing for over 100 years! lol

Additionally, there's no real concern that using this device could result in a battery overheat issue as those are completely different DTCs (based on the battery temp sensors) and all have fail-safe behavior that utilizes "reduced propulsion power" to protect the battery even if there's zero coolant.
    (keep in mind on many EVs, such as the Nissan Leaf, coolant isn't even used to cool the battery)
    This device will not affect your warranty as it is an "aftermarket replacement part" as stipulated under the Magnuson Moss Act.

So far, a few dozen of these have been constructed (version 1) and will ship with complete instructions (that I had a hand in) that must be followed to the letter in order to prevent triggering the P1FFx series of DTCs while installing the device.(basically the car must be "asleep" when the device is installed as the system monitors the coolant level even when OFF or when charging)

IMPORTANT NOTE: This device needs to be installed BEFORE the "Service High Voltage Charging System" appears as once triggered there is NO CHOICE but to visit a dealer and let them try to figure out what’s wrong (bad level sensor usually) THEN eventually figuring out the only way to CLEAR the combination of DTCs P1FFF and P0AA6 is to “Reprogram the HPCM2” (they will say “a software update was needed” but…) Unfortunately the coolant level sensor is not listed as a Voltec or emissions warranty part, so typically unless you are under the original "bumper to bumper" warranty they will try to ding you anywhere from $100-500 for these repairs!

So to be effective at preventing this annoying and costly repair (some people have had the sensor replaced 3 times!) WOTs Coolant Level Sensor (SHVCS Defeat Plug) must be installed pre-emptively on a properly operating car.

Currently it will work on ALL Gen1 Volts, Amperas, and ELRs.
    *NOTE*The Gen2 Volt is a bit different as the sensor is now part of the reservoir (potentially making the repair even MORE expensive) However we have yet to experience anyone with a Gen2 getting the SHVCS message yet, so perhaps the Gen2 will never have the issues the Gen1 cars are plagued with.

We have been testing this solution now over the past couple years and have 12 cars (including one Volt of each model year plus a MY14 ELR) operating with various prototypes of this device for the past 12-months with no ill effects. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY DUE TO AN INCREASE IN MATERIALS AND SHIPPING COSTS HAVE BEEN FORCED TO RAISE OUR PRICE BY $2 SO WOT'S COOLANT SENSOR IS NOW $31 USD ($37 USD FOR EUROPE)

So to purchase WOT’s Coolant Level Sensor (SHVCS Defeat Plug) you can submit $31 USD (includes NA shipping*) to PayPal using either THIS LINK https://paypal.me/wopontour OR from PayPal use the following email address
    Code:
    like_budda@shaw.ca
    (just copy and paste address above) and it will be mailed out to you including complete instructions. *UK AND EUROPE PLEASE ADD $6 ($37USD total) (including complete instructions) MAKE SURE YOU ADD YOUR NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS TO THE "MESSAGE TO SELLER" FIELD IN PAYPAL

So available at this price for a limited time only as eventually they will be adding WOT's Coolant Level Sensor onto eBay (likely at a slightly higher price) at some point, but for our gm-volt.com forum members it will be available by simply submitting payment and it will be mailed out within 7 business days.

The shipment should take place within 7 business days of ordering and they are being shipped to the U.S. via "small packet" airmail service. The delivery standard for this service is 4-10 business days (I presume depending on location)

So please expect 2-3 weeks for delivery. If it's been longer than 3-weeks then PM me your name and address and I will confirm.

*Canadian orders are going via simple oversized letter postage but should be there in about the same period

ALSO please remember to add your mailing address to the PayPal "message to seller" as sometimes PayPal does not forward it.
    If we had to contact you for your mailing address it will add additional shipping time obviously

HTH
    WopOnTour

PS> Feel free to post any questions/comments in this thread
    PSS> THANKS TO STEVERINO AND OTHERS THAT POSTED PHOTOS THAT I AM ADDING HERE
    Attached Images
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 1 Day Ago at 05:58 PM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

Done. I really need this since I have NO dealer support in Honduras. I had already purchased a new sensor and harness as a preventive measure, but this solution is better.

Thanks for offering this WOT
    1985 Mercedes 200

So if your battery fails and there is no coolant due to a by-passed safety sensor, GM will cover the repair?
    Not just a volt tech, also a volt owner.

2015 Volt

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mpmoore1979 View Post
    So if your battery fails and there is no coolant due to a by-passed safety sensor, GM will cover the repair?
    Yes because the battery temperature is still monitored and would cause a separate dtc stalling the car before damage occurs

Quote Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
    Yes because the battery temperature is still monitored and would cause a separate dtc stalling the car before damage occurs
    CORRECT!
    You will have to explain to me how the battery will fail due to "no coolant" as there are OTHER DTCs and OTHER driver warnings for incorrect coolant inlet-outlet temperatures (and BICM cell group temp probes as well) that are designed mitigate any potential damage via "reduced propulsion power" if necessary
    (you have GM GlobalConnect access so I'm sure you can look the pertinent DTCs up)

I have personally ran a Volt without ANY battery coolant to validate this behavior!
    Remember lots of EVs don't even have coolant flowing through the lithium ion cells as the Volt does.
    USE OF THIS DEVICE WILL NOT RESULT IN BATTERY DAMAGE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 10-21-2016 at 05:40 PM.

I would not recommend by-passing a safety feature and rely on GM to honor it's warranty. This is not a after market part, its a by-pass part.

The drive motor battery coolant level sensor IS covered under the Voltec warranty, if you had one replaced that you paid for and you are under the 8/100k warranty, you need to get your money back.

5021400 Drive Motor Battery Coolant Level Sensor Replacement WARRANTY CODE: Coverage Code: V

After programming over 20 cars with the updated software, have not seen one car return for a level sensor code. The updated software is also covered under the 8/100k warranty.

If you are out of this warranty then I can see using the by-pass sensor since you have no worries of warranty coverage being denied due to tamper.
    Not just a volt tech, also a volt owner.

2015 Volt

I would not recommend by-passing a safety feature and rely on GM to honor it's warranty. This is not a after market part, its a by-pass part.

The drive motor battery coolant level sensor IS covered under the Voltec warranty, if you had one replaced that you paid for and you are under the 8/100k warranty, you need to get your money back.

5021400 Drive Motor Battery Coolant Level Sensor Replacement WARRANTY CODE: Coverage Code: V

After programming over 20 cars with the updated software, have not seen one car return for a level sensor code. The updated software is also covered under the 8/100k warranty.

If you are out of this warranty then I can see using the by-pass sensor since you have no worries of warranty coverage being denied due to tamper.
    Your dealership may have been covering this repair under warranty. But that has not been the case for many dozens of people posting here and elsewhere (Facebook Volt Group) each and every month. Most have had to pay for the repairs if they are off the 3-YEAR Bumper to Bumper.
    Yes, there are exceptions but a great many have had to fork out as much as $500 for 4hrs. of labor and a $30 part.

For years, I've been telling people on here to go back and complain and go back and ask for warranty coverage, but they end up fighting for weeks to try to get reimbursed, and some just flatly refused by the dealer/GM.
    We used to be able to get Volt Advisors involved to help but that program is a skeleton of what it once was.

Meanwhile their car is tied up for many hours (or days) while technicians perform detailed diagnosis on the P0AA6 loss of isolation DTC that is automatically triggered with the P1FFx series of DTCs, (without an actual isolation issue detected) THEN there's battery coolant pressure tests, electrical diagnosis of the system, unsuccessful attempts to clear the DTCs, all in an attempt to remedy the issue but eventually discovering the flakey coolant level sensor is bad (it's failure is intermittent I now have 12 of the defective ones on my desk) and eventually (only if they call TAC or actually READ the P1FFF DTC chart) a reflash of HPCM2 is necessary to reset everything.
    It's ridiculous. Enough is enough.

BTW DESPITE WHAT YOU SAY THERE IS NO SUCH SOFTWARE UPDATE! (what all the dealers have been saying falsely)
    THERE IS NO BULLETIN STATING SUCH AN "UPDATE" EXISTS.

Read through the P1FFF DTC chart. An HPCM2 reflash is simply what is required to clear the code and the message! lol
    Nothing changes! (it's often the exact same software Cal IDs and CVNs)
    We have had people on here have this issue occur 3 times in 1 year! (and each time the sensor is replaced and the same ridiculous labor charges for diagnosis and of course yet another "update" lol)

...and you yourself have done only 20 cars? gravy train!! lol (love to see that 1st work order )

FYI we have already had our lawyers check out the stipulations of the Magnuson Moss act regarding this device. (feel free to do the same)
    http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm
    It is officially an "aftermarket replacement part" and it's use will not affect any aspect of the manufacturers warranties.

A similar Magnuson Moss challenge occurred with the ERDTT bypass harnesses and it too was deemed as such.

So, I suggest you don't sweat the details

*I know you're trying to help, but in this case you're way off base!
    Please use a PM if you wish to communicate with me on this issue any further...

WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 12-02-2016 at 01:42 AM.

Thumbs up

Count me as being on board for WOT's preventative measure solution for this Gen1 lingering issue. I would much rather avoid having to make the 'drive of shame' into the GM service dept. just to have the HPCM2 reprogramed in order to clear the latched DTCs caused by a failing sensor!

Quote Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
    ...Feel free to post any questions/comments in this thread...
    Are there any data that suggests that these failures correlate with mileage, time, weather, road surface, etc? Are there any data suggesting that once a unit has been in service for a while it is more or less likely to fail? Do the failure rates tend to follow a bathtub curve, j-curve, etc?

Thanks in advance.

KNS

Edit: Is there a warranty on the part?
    Last edited by kns; 08-30-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Advertisement

Could an app like Torque Pro be used to clear a SHVCS message via an OBDII adapter? Then if this error did pop up, we could clear it, order the part, and install it? Or is the only way to clear the SHVCS code at the dealer?
    2017 Arctic Blue Metallic Bolt EV
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 11 18 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video