GM Volt Forum banner

Bang / Click noise coming from rear passenger side 2016 Chevy Volt

40K views 88 replies 41 participants last post by  wankel7 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 Chevy Volt with about 3,000 miles on it.

When I accelerate in all-gas mode, I hear a click / bang noise coming from the rear passenger side of the car and I'm trying to figure out what it is.

It's easier if you hear it for yourself so I made a video with more details (see link)[video]https://vimeo.com/177954038[/video]

The noise doesn't happen in electric mode...only while using gas.

Anyone else notice this?

I have a friend with a Volt and tried to reproduce the noise using the same conditions but never could.

Thanks,
Scott

#3 ·
I have a similar issue with my 2016 Volt. Took my car into the dealer and after describing the problem the service write-up read, “ Customer states clunking noise coming from rear of vehicle when accelerating from a stop; only when in Hold Mode.” Fast forward, service writer returns and states problem with rear axle, parts ordered. Part(s) have arrived and I will be taking my car in for repair this week. Will know more once I see the actual parts listed on the Invoice and hopefully the problem will be fixed.

2016 Summit White Premier
Oct. 2015 Build Date

#5 ·
This happens with my 2017. It seems to happen only when accelerating and when the ICE turns on. It almost sounds to me like the exhaust pipe is banging a little bit. I am going to mention it when I bring the car in for its first scheduled maintenance. Does not happen at all in EV mode.

The 'rear axle' diagnosis does not make a lot of sense to me.

#7 ·
I reported that I had a similar issue with my 2016 Volt. Again, clunking noise when accelerating from a stop, noise coming from rear of vehicle and noticeable only when in Hold Mode. The dealer Tech diagnosed the problem as axle related, but that did not fix the problem. The OP prepared a video that would be helpful to show the Tech. Can the OP make that video available again. Tried accessing from the Vimeo website but was unsuccessful.

2016 Premier/Summit White
Oct. 2015 Build Date

#11 ·
Scott, thanks for the use of the video. It’s an excellent video and if I was dealing with a cooperative dealership it would have been very helpful. Unfortunately, I had an unproductive service visit at Penske Chevrolet Service Dept. in Cerritos, CA. In my opinion, they made no attempt to understand the problem and therefore did not fix the noise issue. My impression was the Volt Advisor assisting me was also displeased with Penske’s less than satisfactory level of customer service.

There are both 2016 and 2017 Volt owners on this forum with the same issue. (Clanking noise when accelerating from a stop, sound coming from the rear of vehicle. Noise only heard when driving in Hold Mode). I believe it is a factory defect. Everyone with the problem should contact GM. Notify a Volt Advisor at socialmedia@gm.com. Need to emphasize this problem is not limited to one person.

I hope a Volt owner finds a dealer that solves the problem. Instead of approaching this individually, a few of the 2016/2017 Volt owners in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, with the same problem, could schedule a joint service visit and meet with a Dealer Service Manager. Power in numbers and also reinforces this is not limited to one car.

Most of us drive primarily in EV mode so the noise is not a daily annoyance. Think about when we sell the car, this clanking noise will likely impact the resale value.

Oct. 2015 Build Date

#12 ·
Just spitballing. It kinda sounds like there is a loose baffle or something inside the muffler that moves when the ICE turns on and pushes gasses through it. Then when the ice shuts off the piece or whatever falls back down. Or maybe there is a flap in the exhaust that prevents outside stuff from getting into the exhaust while the ICE isn't in use. sort of like you see on tractors sometimes.

#13 · (Edited)
Watch the video at 1:19 to 1:21 there are two small flashes and and a bigger flash coming from the exhaust pipe. Audio times perfectly with the flashes probably water vapour. I'm convinced its exhaust related. I'm viewing it on a big screen with a decent sound system.
Try mounting your camera to the bumper very close to the tail pipe then more it over to the left side of the bumper then compare the audio.
I hope its not a static charge that zaps your camera.

#15 ·
I just started noticing it now too now that weather is cool enough to rolls windows down for cooling vice using HVAC. I have a 2017 LT. Gonna ask the dealer and reference this thread and OP's video (thank you scottvolt10!).

#16 ·
Chiming in here...I have a '16 Volt that I bought certified with 600 miles on it. Mine does it too...almost every time I take off from a stop in extended-range mode, I hear it. Definitely more prominent when the engine is hot, which makes me think it's an exhaust/backfire issue.

#17 ·
Hey everyone! We've noticed quite a few of you have been concerned about this 'backfire noise.' We took the opportunity to get in touch with our technical engineering team and want to assure you all that this is considered normal operation.

If anybody has additional questions/concerns, please feel free to send us a private message. We're always here and happy to help.

All the best,

Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#18 ·
... want to assure you all that this is considered normal operation.
Lauren- Thank you as always for the feedback directly from Chevrolet. But since you have conferred with a technical team, perhaps you could share with us a little more explanation as to the source of the sound. Is it from the exhaust stream, the engine, or something else? Having that kind of insight would go a long way toward accepting this phenomena as something "normal".

#19 ·
I second Noremacnova's request. Could you ask the team to provide a technical explanation and why only a minority of Volts have this issue? If this is normal, any is it a minority?

#21 ·
If it is “normal “ why does my neighbor’s 2016 Volt NOT HAVE the problem? I have personally test drove my neighbors 2016 Volt and found no such noise. Car manufacturers have a long history of denying a problem and chalking it up to “normal operation” to avoid repairing the car. Before purchasing I read every car review available and no one mentioned the so-called “normal” noise. I guess car reviewers from Alex ***** (Alex on Autos) to Consumer Reports must of missed the “normal” backfire noise.

#29 ·
Contrary to Chevrolet’s pronouncement that this backfire noise is no big deal (normal operation), in fact, this is a pronounced irritating noise. I’ve had passengers riding in my car comment on the noise and surprised it happened in a brand new car. I for one would not have purchased the car knowing this noise is considered “normal operation”. I find it hard to believe the Volt Engineering Team would design a car to work in this manner. If Chevrolet continues to claim this is “normal operation” then potential buyers should be forewarned. I suggest a “Sticky” be added for this discussion reading, “Chevrolet Concludes Backfire Noise is Normal Operation (in Hold Mode) for 2016-2017 Volts, BUYER BEWARE.”

It is insufficient to simply state this is “normal operation”. Chevrolet Customer Care please provide a technical explanation, which includes a discussion as to why some 2016-2017 Volts have the backfire, and others don’t.

#30 · (Edited)
Minor update, but I think my backfire issue has resolved due to extended ICE usage. My commute varies but I've averaged 10-15 miles of ICE usage through the fall. Now that winter is here, I've used about 14-20 miles of gas now due to increased ECO HVAC usage.

I've noticed both when accelerating hard from full stop in HOLD and in charge depleted mode that the backfire sound doesn't happen anymore. I never took my car to the dealer for this issue so nothing has been done. Only thing different is possibly using better gasoline from Shell (I had used a supermarket branded gasoline previously). The gas still showed ethanol blend (I forget what %) but I figured all Shell stations got their fuel from the same Top Tier rated source at Shell Corporate.

Does the ICE need breaking in? With better quality fuel? I've now put 1000 gas miles on my ICE, wonder if everyone else with the backfire issue has less than 1000 gas miles.

I'm going to cross post this in another thread to spread awareness.

Gen 2 Volt, VIN #11955

#32 ·
Thanks for the update and potential solution. According to the Chevrolet Customer Care Advisor, the backfire is "normal operation". If the backfire noise is no longer present, does that mean the car is not working properly (he says sarcastically). Volt owners with this backfire issue are seeking a solution but it appears Chevrolet has walked away from the problem.

2016-Volt Premier
10/2015 Build Date

#34 ·
Until they give us a detailed description of what causes the noise and why some Volts don't make the noise, I'm not letting it go. My friend's Gen 2 doesn't do it and I don't want mine to >_> if his doesn't make the noise, there's gotta be a way to make mine not make the noise. They're nearly identical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.