Is this a good price on a 2017 Premiere order?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good price on a 2017 Premiere order?

Default Is this a good price on a 2017 Premiere order?

I am looking to buy a 2017 with ACC and not in a big hurry and since the car I want is almost non-existent, I have settled on ordering one (probably). Below is what I spec'd out and what I got from the dealer:

2017 Volt Premier
    Gray
    Safety package 1, Safety package 2, Adaptive Cruise Control.
    MSRP $40030
    Price: $38584 (before tax, tags)
    My understanding is that this price covers all the other fees, for example the destination fee.

This price is less than 1500 off MSRP, which seems not that great compared to what other people have reported on this forum ($2000-$3500 off MSRP). Should I not expect the same kind of discount people get when buying the same kind of car off the lot?

I am ordering the car, and so I am assuming: 1) Any dealer can order the car, 2) It's mostly a paperwork exercise for them. Are these bad assumptions? I've only ever bought new cars off the lot or by having the dealer locate from another dealer, so I have no experience with ordering and don't know if my expectations are realistic.

I figured I should get exactly what I want by ordering since units with ACC are so rare, but now I wondering if I should settle for one that is not the color I want but does have ACC. There are 2-3 at dealerships within an hour or less drive of my home that I could go to and play the "what's it going to take for you to drive this car off the lot today" game.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

I don't think it is a good price. But then again, I got my new $44k MSRP 2013 premium for $21k including state sales tax.

I would wait a year or two when supply exceeds demand and find some screaming deals. Alternatively, do a wider search on cars.com for the options you want, and don't believe the prices, they are all negotiable.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

You're right that both far lower prices have been reported and that any dealer can pre-order the car...To start, need to look into the costco auto program, it's currently selling the Volt under invoice...If you're happy with the price, buy it, if not, dangle that written offer into front of local dealers asking "I'll buy from you right now if you can beat this by $500..."
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

It's not a great deal and since you could probably get a new '16 (without ACC) for thousands less, you are paying an awfully big premium for ACC. I would try to work a couple dealers against each other. Give them all a price you want to pay "out the door" on the order and e-mail it around to some internet sales managers and see if any bite. Heck, as a custom order you might be able to go to some other GM dealerships that may not deal exclusively with Chevrolet (like Buick for example).

I would also do a nationwide search (say on Autotrader) for new '17s with ACC and see what the price when already sitting on the lot. You might come out ahead by getting one a few states away shipped to you if it meets your needs. At the very least, you can use the price you find as leverage to get a better deal on the order.

In my opinion, though, it is much harder to get a good deal on a custom order. Dealerships are always more motivated to move steel already on the lot and they receive many more incentives from GM to do so.
    ***2013 Black Volt, Leather with Ceramic White Accents***
    ***17" Sport Wheels, Nav, Bose, SP1***

Thanks everyone for the advice. Based on it, I have engaged two dealers that are a significant distance away that happen to have the car that is either what I want or close enough on their lots. I am waiting for quotes from them now. I find it interesting that they need to talk to you on the phone even though all the information they need was given to them in the messages I sent.

If that does not work out, I will engage more local dealers on ordering the car. I also expect the private offer switch to be "turned on" in a few days, and if that happens and I can get one to pop up, if I can work something out with one of these long distance dealers, the expected $1000 PO will be a bonus, or it may be the difference maker.

Quote Originally Posted by sg23 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Based on it, I have engaged two dealers that are a significant distance away that happen to have the car that is either what I want or close enough on their lots. I am waiting for quotes from them now. I find it interesting that they need to talk to you on the phone even though all the information they need was given to them in the messages I sent.

If that does not work out, I will engage more local dealers on ordering the car. I also expect the private offer switch to be "turned on" in a few days, and if that happens and I can get one to pop up, if I can work something out with one of these long distance dealers, the expected $1000 PO will be a bonus, or it may be the difference maker.
    What I've found is many dealers are reluctant to give out specific details over email, as they are afraid you will just use their offer to haggle with other dealers. A phone call might get you a little more info, but they often won't take you seriously until you set foot in the dealership. Once they know you're an actual human being that can actually buy a car, they will open up more on pricing.

I think the sales guys have some minimum number of appointments they are supposed to hit each month as well, so that's why they always push the "Can you come in today?" question.

Going back to your original question on pricing, a '17 Premier with the minimum options selected to get ACC comes out to a MSRP $40,030 price tag, with an invoice price of $39,168. Since you don't live in a CARB state, you unfortunately don't qualify for the $1k purchase rebate.

Unless '17s with ACC are in high demand (they actually might?), you should be able to get at least $3k off MSRP before any incentives. I got a $3,748 dealer discount off my '17 LT last month, so you'd think you would be able to get a similar discount on a Premier...at least $3k off MSRP anyways.

I also strongly suggest you join your state's farm bureau right now. If you are a member of the farm bureau for at least 30 days, you can register for a $500 rebate that you can COMBINE with 1 other private offer (conquest, lease loyalty, or $1k chevy.com PO). It should cost well under $100 (mine was $60) for a 1 year membership. I've already cashed in 2 $500 farm bureau rebates (they seem to be unlimited?), and will probably cash in 1 more at the end of the year.

edit: looks like in PA farm bureau memberships costs $70-80.
    Last edited by bro1999; 07-13-2016 at 09:12 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

That's why "email" is a very board term...Sending a blind email, you have no idea if it goes to the internet dept or the general sales staff...Your goal is to avoid a regular salesman because higher odds they won't do business over the phone/email compared to an internet manager...

Many articles state this is your best odds...
    Step 1, avoid weekends, early weekday evenings are great times...Google dealers near you...See if their website has a staff/meet our team page...Locate an internet managers...Call and ask for the IM by name, if no answer, try another IM, if no one's available move on to another dealer and call that one back later...If they answer, introduce yourself and tell them you're interested in purchasing a car on a specific day (eg this Saturday) and that you only do business over email asking for their email...When you get their email, tell them exactly what you want (color, options, etc) and that you're accepting bids as you're going to purchase the car this Saturday...

Common mistakes are dealing with a non-IM salesman who refuses to do business with you unless you're in person...And also not direct; "I want a Volt Premier, what's the best price you can do?" is terrible...Telling them exactly what you want, exactly when you're going to buy it and list an under invoice price starting price (from Truecar or Costco) forces the dealer to give an accurate price...
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

Yeah, you need to do your research ahead of time and tell the dealership specifically what you are looking for as far as price. Can't just go "HEY!! I heard I can get a free Spark EV lease!! Get me one too!!".

If you give them specific details of what you want ("I am interested in stock # 123456, I want $_____ off MSRP before any other incentives, and am shooting for $___/month payment for a XX month lease after all taxes and fees. Can you do it?"), it'll be easier for the dealer to try and get the pricing you want.

Also, befriending your salesman is in your best interests. Treating him like pond scum isn't gonna help you any....as he/she is usually the one that has to convince their sales manager to drop the price of the car to what you want. If they know you are a potential repeat customer that will give them perfect survey scores and even referrals, they may be willing to "drop their pants" and meet your requests.

This isn't to say you need to show your hand 100% up front. Negotiate your best deal, then you can go, "oh btw, here's my $1k private offer, my $500 farm bureau rebate, and my $____ in GM card earnings too". Keep those up your sleeve till just before they start the paperwork. Dealership gets reimbursed all that incentive money from GM, so not like it is coming out of their pocket. Even if they make it sound like it is.
    Last edited by bro1999; 07-13-2016 at 01:03 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

Agree with bro, I wouldn't bring up the GM discounts until just before the final handshake. Also you can keep the perfect the survey as a bargaining chip...Also could utilize the 20% cashback..."I saw an ad that stated all Volts are 20% off"

More often than not, whether it's Volts are any cars, when someone says "XXX dealership wanted too much" while it could be true, more often than not they didn't utilize best practices and if another person went in they could possibly get a better deal utilizing best practices...Some people just enjoy the experience of going into the dealership, I'm not one of them and in fact, I never stepped foot into the dealer (agreed to a price over email, met me by my work for lunch to sign the paperwork and they drove the car to me)...High odds you're going to spending a lot of time especially if you're wanting 15-20% off the MSRP (excluding sales/promotions)

12. Advertisement

I ended up buying from an out of state dealer. Details are in this thread:
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....ing-Experience

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text