GM Volt Forum banner

Genuine GM windshield vs cheap knockoff?

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Rampage_Rick 
#1 ·
I got a rock in the windshield and needed it changed. I asked for the original GM part for that although they had a remanufactured one on hand.

Is there anything different with the genuine GM windshield? It took over a week to get it. Didn't cost me anymore (Free insurance replacement)

I figured it is a new car with sound sensitivity features and maybe the windshield was more sound resistant.

#8 ·
#7 ·
I believe you are referring to the frt door glass. This is a trick a lot of manufacturers are doing for sound reasons but also maybe for safety. So open the windows part way on the car. The back ones are usually single pane, the frt double pane with lamination between the panes.

All windshields in the US are built that way. I was told in Europe they did it differently: plastic on the outside of one single pane of glass. Also windshields in Europe use to "pop out" if you were to hit it. I am not sure about this but that was the explanation given for when the rubber mounted windshields started to have metal grippers in the body opening. It could be that the rubber by itself was found to be to weak on their own and needed the grippers later on.

As a dealer I tried to capture more of the glass business and I could often prove that I was cheaper than the glass companies but the insurance companies had a arranged special deal with the glass companies in such a way that I couldnt win a bid. No matter how much cheaper. Since insurance rarely buys windshields like they used to (coverage), I think you have more say in that now.

#6 ·
Because of how I use my Jeep, I've put a few windshields (5) on over the course of 18 years.
Twice I put in "cheaper" ones and the first cracked surprisingly easily and the second the plastic delaminated so the whole thing turned a milky color.

Genuine OEM winshields for me after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.