GM Volt Forum banner

Export: Owning a Volt with No Support from Dealer. Exporting to country with ...

5K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  quantumorbit 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody.

I live in Honduras, Central America and travel to the US often. I've been reading this forum for several years to learn about the Volt. I've also been following several other EV forums. I've done test drives and after the Tesla (different league), I'm convinced the Volt is the best there is.

I've had a 8.8kw PV grid-tie system in my home for almost five years. I'm an early adopter and installed myself a US spec SMA Sunny Boy inverter 240-120v 60hz in a 220-110v 60hz country. Got in touch with SMA in Germany and they gave me 100% support, even offered to sell me a cable to reprogram tolerances in case US specs gave me trouble. I've been producing excess electricity with this PV system and figured the next step was getting an EV.

Anyway, I just bought a 2012 Volt with 50k miles in the US to export it to Honduras. We have GM dealers here but no Volt service capability. GM doesn't encourage service outside its Volt certified dealers, so even a knowledgeable engineer would have trouble repairing this vehicle without GM's support. Although I already pulled the trigger, I'm really interested in the challenges I'll face owning this great vehicle here with no support. I'm basically on my own, with this forum's knowledge and shop repair manuals as my only backup plan.

I already know this is not a smart move, just don't know how crazy it is.

Are there any success stories in owning a Volt without any dealer support?

See less See more
#2 ·
You may be surprised if you have a problem and take it to a GM dealer they may get technical help from the US over the phone or net to take care of the problem. Also see if the GM dealer in your area could sell you an extended warranty, that may also help. Good luck and welcome to the Volt family.

#3 ·
The main issue I could see is that you might not be able to have the battery serviced, but outside of that, your local dealerships should still be able to service any of the mechanical aspects. Also, the way the EV market is developing, I could see EV servicing become a requirement for all dealerships, even on a global level.

#4 ·
Dealer here don't even service models they sell if not sold by them. They get a lot of competition from salvage vehicles bought cheap at auction in the US (Copart and IAAI) and repaired locally with very cheap labor. This policy was put in place to discourage people from buying these "gray" market vehicles. I will inquire, but my guess is they won't even take my Volt in.

#8 ·
Volt was purchased through eBay in VA, I didn't have a chance to inspect it. It was picked up by logistics company this weekend. The seller did turn out to be a very nice honest person; from my conversations with him I trust he represented the Volt accurately and I'm pretty sure I won't have any surprises when its delivered here in about a month. Will check the coolant level as soon as it gets here. I've read a lot about this problem and the change GM issued that coolant level should now be on top of sticker.

#6 ·
Hello...... I have not heard of a certified Volt tech out side of a Dealer, but It seems probable. If you can not find a dealer maybe you can at least find a Tech. I would think that getting info on possible Volt techs in Hondurus may be difficult and take a bunch of phone calls. It would be worth a few phone calls, starting with the volt advisor.

Not even sure if it is even possible to buy a full Repair manual. From the posts here the dealers are often calling in GM techs and Engineers to help with repairs, so I do not think the repair manuals are fully developed

Boynton Beach is In FL. That is where I live. Got a quote on a electric solar system and it was ridiculous. About 28K or more.

Hello everybody.

I live in Honduras, Central America and travel to the US often.

Are there any success stories in owning a Volt without any dealer support?

#7 ·
Boynton Beach is In FL. That is where I live. Got a quote on a electric solar system and it was ridiculous. About 28K or more.
My domicile in the US is in Boynton Beach. Maybe we can get together next time I visit. If you want a good deal on a PV system subscribe to the newsletter of www.sunelec.com, they sometimes offer great deals. I took advantage of the Evergreen modules auction they handled that set a record in low prices $0.78 per watt. Now you can get as low as $0.50 per watt if you wait for a deal. My system total cost was around $15k with shipping to Honduras, duties and labor of a local electrician that I instructed on what to do. If you need help let me know and I'll be glad to share my experience.

#15 ·
Volt Maintenance Shopping List

I'm sharing this Amazon Shopping List to aid anyone else in the adventure of taking the Volt into unchartered waters. Some of these things are available here and I'll be buying locally, but I'm still including the full list so anybody in my situation can decide for themselves what to buy when exporting a Volt.

https://amzn.com/w/37OTAXN167BKI

I'm also including screenshots from the Owners Manual with parts numbers if you wish to buy elsewhere. The only part not included in the manual is the Cabin Air Filter, which is very important in Honduras because cars here are exposed to a lot more dust than in the US. Not having the filter in place will only shorten the life of the evaporator.

Text Font Document Paper

Text Font Line Number Parallel

Text Font Document Paper Paper product

#16 ·
Volt finally arrived. Today it was taken out of the container it was shipped in. Now it has to undergo customs and will probably get it out until Friday or Monday.

I'm excited about it and really enjoyed sitting in the car and appreciating what a great car it is.

Paid someone to hand wash it. Here are some pics:

Attachments

#17 ·
Our new member of the family is finally home. It was a long journey.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Sedan

First charge:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Rim

Replaced the ICE air filter and installed a cabin air filter (none previously installed).

The charger that came with it doesn't have the button to switch between 8 or 12 amps. Couldn't find how to change that setting on the info screen, manual only makes reference to the switch on the EVSE. Am I stuck with the wrong EVSE for a 2012 Volt?

#19 ·
The charger that came with it doesn't have the button to switch between 8 or 12 amps. Couldn't find how to change that setting on the info screen, manual only makes reference to the switch on the EVSE. Am I stuck with the wrong EVSE for a 2012 Volt?
Not sure about '12 but on my 2013 you switch via the touchscreen.

Go to the Energy screen (via the leaf button)
select the Charging tab,
select Change Charge Level,
select Maximum.

You will have to do that EVERY time you want faster charging because it defaults back to 8 amp whenever you drive it.

#27 ·
I'm officially the first Chevy Volt owner in Honduras. Had a hard time registering with our DMV equivalent because they don't have the Volt in their database. Here's my registration with "unknown" in the model section. They're in the process of adding it, I'm supposed to go back next week to get a new registration card.

Text Document

I'm also the only one listed on PlugShare

Map Ecoregion Line World

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.