Touch up Paint
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Touch up Paint

Angry Touch up Paint

Well, I've had my 17 Heather Gray Metallic Volt for 2 weeks and already have a rock chip on the hood. Does anyone have any recommendations for touch up paint sources other than the dealership? Thanks.

Have you tried the Dr. color chip site?

Not yet. Just reaching out for ideas first or if others have used any specific ones

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

You could also check www.automotivetouchup.com. They have 1/2 ounce tubes like the dealer has, but also offer a 2 ounce bottle, aerosol spray cans as well as larger cans. I've purchased from them three times so far and have been very satisfied with their product and service. Have your GM paint code number handy when visiting their site.
    2013 Crystal Red Premium, black leather trim, both packages, Bose speakers, navigation.

What is wrong with using the dealership as a paint source?

Nothing, really but I just don't like those little 1/2 oz. tubes. The paint seems prone to drying out rather quickly and you just have to throw it away and buy another. The 2 oz. bottles enable you to see if the paint is thickening and add some thinner before it becomes useless. Also, the dealer didn't have the color in stock and would have to order it, so I opted to order it online. Automotive Touch Up mixed and shipped it the next business day.
    2013 Crystal Red Premium, black leather trim, both packages, Bose speakers, navigation.

I would definitely look at Dr.Colorchip. I've used it on my last two cars. The paint is a perfect match and you don't have to be too careful when you apply it. There is a solution used to remove the excess paint leaving paint in the chip itself. A little expensive but I highly recommend it.

The touch up paint VW sells is very long lived. In my case, I have white and black touch up paint which is easier to cross over to other makes and seems to match for small spots. The come in paint pens with a wickable felt like a permanent marker.

Quote Originally Posted by mprowland View Post
    I would definitely look at Dr.Colorchip. I've used it on my last two cars. The paint is a perfect match and you don't have to be too careful when you apply it. There is a solution used to remove the excess paint leaving paint in the chip itself. A little expensive but I highly recommend it.
    I've decided to go through the Dr. Colorchip route, but can't find my paint code. I believe in the 16/17 model its on the sticker in the glove box. All I can find is BC/CC 4AA ... note, I have a Heather Gray Metallic Volt. Is the paint code in a different location? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text