GM Volt Forum banner

Need advice about a CPO 2014 Volt

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  crowtoo 
#1 ·
I'm currently talking with a salesman about possibly purchasing a 2014 Volt.

2014 Volt Premium, CPO, under 16k miles, NAV, Bose, Leather, heated seats, both safety packages, chrome wheels.

I've gotten the price down to $18k so far. Does this sound like a decent deal? Should I take it?

I will add, I've seen the Carfax and it was previously a fleet vehicle. It has no reported accidents & just one owner. The lifetime mileage is currently 40.9mpg which indicates it was almost exclusively run on gas instead of pure electric. The salesman is contacting OnStar to find out the actual gas vs. electric miles, but I expect it's going to be like 90-95% gas. In terms of a used Volt is it a bad thing that the previous owner barely used it in electric mode?

Thanks!

#3 ·
When I bought my first 2012 a little over a year ago it had averaged 40.2 mpg. I have noticed no difference the in performance of that battery vs the second one I bought which was a 60 mpg car.

All else equal I would prefer a car that was frequently plugged in, only because the engine has more miles on it. But with only 16,000 total miles on the car that isn't much of an issue in your case. I wouldn't hesitate to take that deal.

#5 ·
The salesman is contacting OnStar to find out the actual gas vs. electric miles, but I expect it's going to be like 90-95% gas. In terms of a used Volt is it a bad thing that the previous owner barely used it in electric mode?
Thanks!
FYI, the Volt is always in "electric mode". Sometimes the electronic pixies come from the gas generator instead of the HV battery. In your case, most of the pixies came from the generator. For all intense and purposes, the Volt is an electric car that carries a generator to produce its own electricity.

#6 ·
Thanks, T! I was aware of how the Volt functions in either mode. :)

I'm just wondering if I should be concerned that the Volt I'm looking at has almost never been driven in pure electric mode. Does that add (or reduce) any worry when purchasing this vehicle used?

Thanks to those that have replied so far.

#10 ·
You can have the dealer reset that Lifetime number if you'd like.

#13 ·
I wish you were closer. I swapped my 2015 in March for a 2017. My 2015 has 15k miles with leather package . Lifetime mpg was about 200. I think you could get it for about 18k. Less options but newer model year would mean more factory warranty left. Its a 6 hour drive to Md. I have done it several times. If you want more info on this car let me know.

#14 ·
Edward,

Thanks so much for the offer to sell me your 2015 Volt. (If I properly understood your post)

The one I'm looking at is a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle from a Chevy dealer. With the additional CPO warranty coverage they give you, that will give me over 33k miles on the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Almost as much as buying a new one! I've been looking for a 2014-15 low mileage Volt in a 500 mile radius for a while and this is the best deal I've been able to find so far. I'm about 90%+ sure that I'll be getting this car, but I just have to go see it in person this weekend before I know for sure. I'm doing my research and making sure there aren't any red flags before I make the drive to Michigan to pick it up.

Seriously though, I do really appreciate your offer of assistance in finding a good deal on a lightly used Volt.

I really hope that if I do end up purchasing this vehicle, I like it as much as everyone I've talked to loves theirs.

Thanks again,

#15 ·
I guess I was not clear. I do not own my car anymore. It is Lee Chevrolet in Washington, NC. My guess is that you can get it for around 18k . CPO would add to the cost as it is similar to buying an extended warranty. You might want to consider contacting the folks at Lee. Call and ask to speak to Steven Lee about the Volt that Ed Tyer swapped in. It will not cost you anything. At Lee Chevrolet you can deal with the owner directly and that is always good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.