GM Volt Forum banner

Alternative wheels

12K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  MexicanBatman 
#1 ·
Many threads at GM-Volt discuss changing wheels, mostly for looks, performance, etc.

I had a bunch of 1980's cars that means I've lots of very good 15" tires that I'd like to use on my Volt. As they are from yesteryear, they have a higher profile that'll prolly equate to similar total diameter.

So I've been looking around for 15" wheels that are 115mm with ~40 offset, (give or take, might not matter too much as these wheels are usually only 6 or 6.5 inches wide, therefore can only accommodate 195-205 tire width).

I've noted that older Cadillac Deville, Pontiac Montanna, Buick Regal, etc., use wheels of this calibre, and might not be too ugly on a Volt, (a small price to pay for using already owned sport tires on my Volt).
Modern varieties such as Captiva etc, are too big, (too wide and tall).

Inspection of the clearance between the factory wheel and brake caliper reveals at least 1/2 inch in every dimension.

Anyone here have any ideas, experience of these older vehicles and wheel alternatives, or even some wheels that I could try?
My location in Melbourne, Australia limits my options somewhat.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you better check the caliper clearance. On my gen 1 Volt, 16" wheels are the smallest that would still clear the calipers in the front. (unless they changed the design on the gen 2 Volts)

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks SharkVolt; Every input is welcomed.

I am anticipating that. Have had some previous experience doing this sort of thing before, so I put my fingers in around the caliper checking for clearance.

There seems to be quite a lot of depth in the rim for the caliper, I don't think it'll be an issue so much as the surface facing out toward the street and wheel spokes. This is where dish shape and offset will play a part.

I'm prepared to use proper bolt-on-spacers if necessary, but I'd prolly not need them if I find the right wheels.

*I've updated my sig to show that mine is a Gen 1.
I'm finding this forum increasingly awkward to read when I'm not sure which car people are writing about.

P.S. The Gen 1 wheels, (I believe), are 15" x 115mm/(4.5inch), 40mm offset, 6.5inch width?
Please update/correct me if I'm wrong.
Crikey, what a mix of standards!

#5 ·
One thing to keep in mind is that the factory wheels on the gen1 Volt are *forged* aluminum. This makes them lighter and stronger than cast wheels. Normally forged wheels are only used on very high end cars like the Porsche 911 and similar. They typically sell for $2-3,000 each. GM went all out on gen1, and made low costs less priority than performance metrics like EV range and durability. Hard to beat the factory wheels. Both the base wheels and the optional polished wheels are forged.

I don't know if the gen2 wheels are forged or cast. If anyone does, please chime in.

GSP

#6 ·
Good forged wheels can be had for about $1200 up from a quality brand like 360Forged -- they do make 18" sizes (so it's possible to order a set for the Volt if you have the scratch)basically any order is custom for your specs/application.

#7 ·
ALL oem or optional factory gen 1 Volt wheels are 17" X 7".

#8 ·
I had a bunch of 1980's cars that means I've lots of very good 15" tires that I'd like to use on my Volt. As they are from yesteryear, they have a higher profile that'll prolly equate to similar total diameter.
So just to be clear here, are you talking about good rims (the metal part) or tires (the rubber part)?
I ask because if you have a bunch of rubber tires from the 1980's they probably aren't still good even if they look okay.

If you are talking about the metal rims, then I guess it's just a matter of measuring the clearances.

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah, the big round rubber shoe things, usually with air in them; thanks for your safety check.
The cars were late 80's, the tires I got for them were performance tires purchased only 1-2 years before I got the Volt, so they're about 3-4 years old, and some of them are unused, (I got a good deal on tires that are no longer specified for a local racing discipline.

#11 ·
Sounds like you have seen this car, do tell...

#12 ·
Nothing to tell

That was my old car

I traded it at Watson holden and they sent it to Brighton

Honestly wish I'd have kept it

Not to worry I brought another back in march, I'm keeping this one this time

Only traded it because I thought I wanted more, more features more power etc... now I've been there and done that I'm happy with the volt

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.