Are most Volt owners Democrats
Grab our Forum Feed

View Poll Results: I own a Volt or am strongly considering one.

Voters
362. You may not vote on this poll
  • I voted for Obama or would have had I voted.

176 48.62%
  • I did not vote for Obama or would not have had I voted.

186 51.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 11 21 LastLast

Thread: Are most Volt owners Democrats

Default Are most Volt owners Democrats

Hi, I am the proud owner of a 2013 White Summit.

While spending 20 days debating if I should buy a Volt I discovered news articles where Tea Party members criticized Obama for the stimulus/loans that allowed the production of the Volt.

It has never occurred to me before however now I wonder if Republicans buy Volts.

If not too much trouble, and also if you are a Volt owner or strongly considering one, can readers of this thread indicate if you are a Democrat or Republican.

Thanks.
    Last edited by anthonykitmcinnis; 01-27-2013 at 05:30 PM.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....ight=Political

I think your question is answered here.
    It is pretty evenly split between republicans, democrats and independents.

I think the best predictor of whether someone buys a Volt is how interested they are in technology. To the extent that technology types lean more to the Democrats the more Volt ownership will have a Democratic lean. I don't think the Tea Party blogs have much impact on car buying decisions.

Advertisement

I can't answer your poll because I'm not a Democrat. Voting for Obama doesn't make one a Democrat, or oh gosh, I sure hope not! Technically I'm a registered Republican, but I voted for Obama because, like many others, I've been left stranded in the middle while the party drifted into right-wing extremism. Country before party.
    D-20416 “Joulia” Viridian Joule, Pebble Beige, Nav/Bose/Safety 1 & 2 My Volt Stats TFM
    Born on 11/12/12, Hamtramck, MI | Arrived at dealer 12/19/12 Los Angeles, CA | Adopted 12/21/12 San Diego, CA
    Stablemate: 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible "Mary" #8706 of the last 14,000 | Innsbruck Blue Metallic/White My Eldo Stats: 8 City/11 Highway

I can answer in the same way as Joule.
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather § (2-years old July 5, 2014 - 40,000 miles) § Current VoltStats
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Installation Blog
    Thank you to Stingray Chevrolet for a great purchasing experience. Current Volts

Most of the people I've known over the years who are seriously interested in technology tend towards conservative views (Republican, Independent or Libertarian), not Democrats.

I think the "inferred" point here is that Democrats are supposed to be driving the "green energy" revolution. So with that point in mind the intended market would be for Democrats. I leased a Volt and a Leaf cause I am tired of handing my money over to foreigners, and also because I like technologically advanced objects. I think overall these cars are born out of misconceptions about the environment and their ability to reduce overall carbon emissions. Personally me and my wife drive more than ever now than before (about 25,000 miles between the 2 cars per year).

In my mind though through experience it seems people buy these cars as a status symbol to show they are trying to care about the enviornment, and that goes back to the original question of party affiliation. Most people are shocked to find out I am a conservative since Fox News and the like have put out there that the Volt is the Obamamobile. Eventually we will get passed these barriers though. Maybe when I turn both cars back in and hopefully buy a Model S.
    2012 Nissan Leaf SL #16790
    2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel
    Others: 2005 Chevy Trailblazer LT; 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT-8
    Turned In: 2012 Chevy Volt #2395

Quote Originally Posted by Roadburner440 View Post
    I think the "inferred" point here is that Democrats are supposed to be driving the "green energy" revolution. So with that point in mind the intended market would be for Democrats. I leased a Volt and a Leaf cause I am tired of handing my money over to foreigners, and also because I like technologically advanced objects. I think overall these cars are born out of misconceptions about the environment and their ability to reduce overall carbon emissions. Personally me and my wife drive more than ever now than before (about 25,000 miles between the 2 cars per year).

In my mind though through experience it seems people buy these cars as a status symbol to show they are trying to care about the enviornment, and that goes back to the original question of party affiliation. Most people are shocked to find out I am a conservative since Fox News and the like have put out there that the Volt is the Obamamobile. Eventually we will get passed these barriers though. Maybe when I turn both cars back in and hopefully buy a Model S.
    Al Gore being the exception, do as I say, not as I do.
    Tom
    USAF Retired
    My garage
    2014 Lime Rock Green Stingray
    2013 Cyber Gray Volt
    Best EV Range 54.x miles (more than once)

I bought my Volt for many reasons, but political is not one of them.

Why I bought my volt, in no particular order ...
    I like technology
    I have a fascination with electric motors and always wanted an electric car.
    I do believe in global warming or at least I believe we should not pollute because we can -- always try and make things better
    I am tired of the price of gasoline fluctuating as well as giving so much of my pay check to the oil companies
    I believe the answer to our oil dependency is to reduce our consumption ... not drill more and more and more...
    The demand for gas will only continue to increase as more nations thirst for it.. why wait for the well to run low before we reduce out thirst .. get ahead of the game.
    2/3/2012 - Volt Owner #05396
    Louisiana

Advertisement

I have to say I am happily surprised that non-Obama supporters would disregard comments, that are clearly just political dogma, made by their political leaders and make choices that just make sense.

Its also very possible anti-Obama folks did not even hear about these comments. I did not until just these past 20 days.

I did not buy my Volt for green reasons. I bought it because it is the ultimate geek car.

I love absorbing all of the info I read on these forums. This car is a tech persons dream car.

Its also ObamaCar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 11 21 LastLast