Is This a Good Price? 2017 in Georgia
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Is This a Good Price? 2017 in Georgia

Default Is This a Good Price? 2017 in Georgia

So my first looong post got timed out, so I'll try again.
    Been lurking here for 3 years- and 2001 Honda Accord won't last past August. Found 2017 Volt in Georgia with everything I want (and some I don't). MSRP =41,380. Used Rydell's offer of 3500, plus knowing I can ship for $800 to get him down 2500 off MSRP, plus 1000 for a tradein I thought would have to go to junkyard. I was surprised, when we started talking he claimed "no real margin in Volts and the discounts come from the Feds at 7500). So that sorta puts me on par with ordering from Keyes/Rydell, except Georgia has a $599 doc fee, while Cali is capped at 80.
    1. To start, I'm a bit of a cheapskate (I aspire to emulate llninja's frugality). So is this a good price, and if not, what would be?- this is Georgia- so not a CARB state. Used Volts aren't an option right now.

2. It has several options I don't want to pay for-ambient lighting, tablet holder, nav, etc. can you have the dealer remove those to reduce pricing?

3. My car "expires" in August (won't pass emissions anylonger), but I suspect pricing (and availability) might improve as the summer wears on - especially since Volts are just now trickling into Georgia. With the increased interest in Gen2, do you think incentives/pricing will get much better? Are those 500 under invoice prices from before the release even a possibility anymore?

I don't fully understand your post, but I get the general idea. This is a simple matter of supply and demand and market price. The 2017s are commanding close to MSRP unless you live in California. Drive your beater until you can't and let the market price filter down. Check out used cars as well. Beepi has a fully loaded 2016 the other day for 25.5

Deals will be had, but right now great deals are pretty much non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    "no real margin in Volts and the discounts come from the Feds at 7500).
    Probably dealer BS but who cares? You're a cheapskate, who cares about them?

Lowest deal reported is Freemont (shocker since Tesla is there) which is also a volume dealer, you'll save thousands if you buy and have it shipped...15% off MSRP should be the goal...
    Former MY17 LT w/ used homelink mirror owner
    Dear GM, thanks for offering ACC on the Volt, now let's give it 7.2kW charging & a garage door opener...

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Truecar has the Volt best price at 99.6% of MSRP in Northern Virginia. Tough to bargain on the new Volt, so far.

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    1. To start, I'm a bit of a cheapskate (I aspire to emulate llninja's frugality). So is this a good price, and if not, what would be?- this is Georgia- so not a CARB state. Used Volts aren't an option right now.
    no try. do. - yoda

Don't buy the first model year of a car as supply and demand will command near MSRP. Haggle like a ferengi. I don't understand why a used car is out of the question. sussexNJ recently bought a used 2011 volt for less than $9K. And your current deal with $2.5-3.5k off plus fed tax credit (assuming you qualify) is still over triple the cost. If you spend your entire life spending 2-3 times what you should on a car, you may end up broke all of your adult life. If you end up spending $30K on a volt this year, how will you feel in 2 years when the Bolt and Model 3 are released and GM and dealerships will be begging you to buy a Gen2 off their lots.

The real issue is that 2017 models probably won't get heavily discounted until Dec 2017/Jan 2018. So don't fall in love with The car, be willing to walk away from the deal. Try to get exactly the options you want and if there are options you don't want, negotiate to get them for free. There are always more, that's what more means. Be willing to drive 120-150 miles to another dealership who is willing to deal. No power in the 'verse can stop you
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

I just re-checked truecar for both northern Virginia and Atlanta and the Volt is selling for 4% off MSRP here and 3% off MSRP in Atlanta. So it sounds like dealers in Atlanta are making some deals, not great ones, but you have to find the dealers that want to sell
    Volts. No east coast dealer will ever be able to compete with a CA dealer on price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
    I just re-checked truecar for both northern Virginia and Atlanta and the Volt is selling for 4% off MSRP here and 3% off MSRP in Atlanta. So it sounds like dealers in Atlanta are making some deals, not great ones, but you have to find the dealers that want to sell Volts. No east coast dealer will ever be able to compete with a CA dealer on price.
    That may be the case in NoVA, but across the river it looks like a typical difference with new model year and prior model year. Here is where I bought my 2016, where there are a lot of 2017s in transit but there are also a handful of 2016s that appear to be marked down pretty well.

http://www.criswellchevrolet.com/Veh...=&vehicleType=

And pretty much the same about 5 miles south the the above dealer.

http://www.rockvillechevrolet.com/Ve...=&vehicleType=

So if the OP is set on a 2017 then he may have to wait for the best bargain, but if he just wants a Gen 2 and a 2016 will work for him, he would probably save by coming up to MD and getting one as compared to having one shipped from CA.

And as for trade-in, it's probably a good idea to get the car appraised at Carmax if there is one close to the OP, as I've found that that may be a better deal by several hundred dollars (at least has been for me on a few occasions, so maybe worth a try).
    2017 Bolt Premier Kinetic Blue/Dk Gray #33408 (Delivered Jan 2017) Hidden Content

2016 Volt Premier Silver/Black #16693 (Delivered Oct 2015) Hidden Content

$2500 off MSRP is a great deal for GA. Period! I got about 2k off MRSP on my 2017 but it was only a 35k MSRP car. He is offering to sell it to you for about $1000 below invoice. All dealers in the Southeast add a doc fee so that is wash. Get the car and have some fun. YOLO.

Buy used, especially Certified Used. Any new technology and gains in efficiency will be displaced within a few years. Depreciation that is eaten by a previous buyer is worth more than a tax credit that may only partially apply to your income level. A cheapskate buys used. I had an uncle who never paid more than $1,000 for a car in his life. He was a bit extreme. According to my older siblings, he also had a lot of flat tires. Several beautiful 2014 Volts near you. https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...rce=QUICK_FORM

12. Advertisement

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersnowboarder View Post
    Buy used, especially Certified Used. Any new technology and gains in efficiency will be displaced within a few years. Depreciation that is eaten by a previous buyer is worth more than a tax credit that may only partially apply to your income level. A cheapskate buys used. I had an uncle who never paid more than $1,000 for a car in his life. He was a bit extreme. According to my older siblings, he also had a lot of flat tires. Several beautiful 2014 Volts near you. https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...rce=QUICK_FORM
    I agree, with one exception: if you can find a new car cheaper than a used one, go for it. My screaming deals included a new CTS for $10k off MSRP and a volt premium for $23k off MSRP. Comparably equipped used cars t that time wer higher priced than the screaming deals I found. In this case the web is your friend. Don't trust the price on the website, sometimes the ones priced at MSRP have had so few people looking t them that you can swoop in and catch a desperate dealer with their pants down.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text