Bolt test review
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bolt test review

I really wish reviews and news would stop saying gas prices are hurting EV sales, the correlation is not there, EV sales for March are up more than 20% for the same month last year despite record low fuel prices. The reason I see that sales were down last year was a stagnant lineup with many great cars coming. Doesn't give people a reason to buy.

They comment on the Bolt EV acceleration not matching the record setting P90D, but that car is like 4x expensive. The acceleration will be fairly close to base model 3, not that it is close to production yet so it might change.
    Last edited by viking79; 04-02-2016 at 10:22 PM.

The comments are funny. The Bolt EV is a small car, while the Tesla Model 3 is a large car. The Bolt doesn't look like a sedan, plus it has a hatch that the Model 3 doesn't. lol
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

I keep hearing how the Tesla 3 will be cheaper than the Bolt. Aren't Tesla prices non-negotiable? No one pays MSRP on Chevys. The Volt has great deals on leases. Hoping the Bolt will too.

Tesla model 3 will be 35k once they decide to produce that version at the factory. Who knows if the will even produce many at that price initially. I imagine that the Bolt EV will be cheaper as you say when they are sold side by side. Comparing these two is a bit like comparing a BMW 3er to a Mazda 3 or something, they are different vehicles. On the surface the only thing they share are 200+ mile range for about 35k.

Quote Originally Posted by viking79 View Post
    they are different vehicles. On the surface the only thing they share are 200+ mile range for about 35k.

Exactly. If these were powered by gasoline engines no one would be trying to compare them. Seems like a better comparison would be Volt vs. Model 3. Both are sedans in a similar price range.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320

Quote Originally Posted by viking79 View Post
    ...they are different vehicles. On the surface the only thing they share are 200+ mile range for about 35k.
    I totally disagree. They are the ONLY BEV's that have those two MOST important specs.
    How could you not make the comparison?
    Last edited by Norton; 04-03-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Clarify the obvious.

You know Steverino.....I put a deposit on the Model 3......and as I was just watching some of the test drives of it and watching some Bolt videos.....I have gotten to thinking that while the M3 looks sexier and would no doubt be faster.......the Bolt is no slouch either and looks very nice as well.....which leaves the interior....which right now I feel the Bolt wins hands down.....the interior of the M3 just looks too plain....I hope they add the instrument/gauge screen from the Model S/X as a last minute decision (which I think they may have to end up doing due to all the negativity about it already).....the other important thing to look at is practicality....which again I think the Bolt wins hands down again.......in the end... which one I end up with depends upon Tesla's "real" time-line.....I will test drive the Bolt and if I like it enough and the Tesla still has no realistic end in sight.....I just may call it a day and run with the Bolt....I am sure it will be a great car regardless....if it is anything like my Volt......that will be a non-issue

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    I totally disagree. They are the ONLY BEV's that have those two important specs.
    How could you not make the comparison?
    Then let's start comparing small trucks to sedans based on similar gas tank size. Assuming same gas tank size, which is "better"? Seems to be a questionable comparison starting point.
    B3320

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    Then let's start comparing small trucks to sedans based on similar gas tank size. Assuming same gas tank size, which is "better"? Seems to be a questionable comparison starting point.
    The thing is that EVs aren't mass market vehicles yet. In most cases, people who buy EVs are specifically looking for EVs. They're not looking for a generic sedan and then suddenly, oh! this Volt looks nice. They're going out and seeing what EVs are available and how those fit into their needs. And there aren't all that many out there yet to choose from.

So for those people, both the Tesla 3 and the Bolt will at some point be on their radar together. Now depending on how the person shops (by style or by functionality) they may drop one of them really quickly or they may linger and mull the comparison for quite a long time. But to suggest that a typical EV buyer who's looking at one of them wouldn't at least inform themselves about the other seems a bit naive to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text