GM Volt Forum banner

Gen 1 wind buffeting kit installed - Bulletin PI0642

28K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  FI Spyder 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally got around to having the wind buffeting kit installed. 2012 Volt w/59K miles. Dealer covered the cost :)
PI0642C is the code for the current kit.

The kit consisted of upper (paint to match) and lower mirror covers & the black applique that mounts to the door next to the mirror.

Tested the fix on the way home, HUGE improvment. Now it's like a normal car with all four windows down at speed. Able to drop both back windows down and leave the front up without the horrific noise.

2012 Chevrolet Volt by https://www.flickr.com/photos/michiganclassics/

See less See more
#3 ·
I found that the only time this buffeting kit doesn't work is if you have a stiff side wind that counters the effect of the deflector. But other than that, it works great most of the time.

#4 ·
Could you please provide a picture from above on the mirror ?
I would like to replicate the "bulge" on my 3-D printer to see if it makes any difference.

#7 ·
Is the kit free for the asking at the dealer?

It is not standard due to making more drag and less efficient movement through the air. With them on is there any noticeable loss of range? Doesn't seem there would be but there was a reason not to put them on.

#8 ·
It's my understanding it is dealer discretion. GM doesn't pay the dealers very well for this fix.

I'd bed the reason it's not standard is due to cost. I have no doubt any 'drag' or 'loss of range' is negligible at best.

While it looks a little goofy, the improvement is WELL worth it to me. I finally had a chance to drive with all four windows down earlier this week during my commute home. The sound was horrific. It was even horrible when I reviewed the dashcam video later that night.

This wind issue is certainly not limited to the Volt, but I am very glad they have this fix out there for sure.

#10 ·
I had always wondered what it looked like.

Thanks for the nice photos!

#12 ·
I asked my dealer for the llninja treatment but the guy wouldn't do it. All or nothing. Allegedly they return the old parts to GM to prove the job got done. I've also yapped at him to paint the caps black and been refused. Someone had them done in black and it looked good that way. They ordered the kit for my new 15 a couple of weeks ago and I requested black paint again. I've got an appointment to have it installed next week. We'll see if he got it done this time. Of course for the 14, they painted the caps pearl white instead of summit white, so you never know what is going to happen... And the tech that installed them never noticed the different color paint. Or maybe he did and they wanted to see of I would notice or not....

NO noticeable effect on range or mileage. Despite the dire warnings of gloom and doom in the instructions for the kit and service bulletin, nothing changed except that the car stopped trying to knock my teeth out when I rolled down the window.

#13 ·
They do need to return the 'defective' parts as part of a required process.
I imagine a cooperative dealer would paint them any color you request, but I'm not sure if that also falls under the same 'warranty' restrictions.

I'm glad you had it done.

#18 ·
My wind buffeting kit will be installed next Saturday, no cost to me. Would have been done a lot sooner but a misread of the VIN made the bodyshop paint the covers the wrong color. Oh well it has been the wrong weather for driving with windows down anyway.

#20 ·
Since I don't drive with the windows down on my MY16, so wondering if any gen2 owners have reported this to be an issue. If so, is there a similar fix?

#21 ·
Just got mine back today and went out an drove up to about 50mph around town with not a single bleeding ear. Fantastic! Anything above 50 and I usually close the windows anyway. Now that I quit smoking in January, I don't need to have the window cracked anymore. Was hard to smoke in the volt and get all of the smoke out of the window.

#23 ·
Just got my 14 done a week ago. Huge difference!
At first the service guy was reluctant. He test drove it at 55.
When I made it clear that I usually drive 75 on the freeway, he approved it.

Test drove a 16 this weekend and with the front windows down there is essentially no buffeting.
Somewhere here I read that there can be an issue with the rears, but I doubt it could be nearly as bad as the stock gen 1 cars.
Which are truly horrible.
Good stuff. Mine was bad while driving anything over 45 MPH. Finally had a couple of 70+ degree days here and it's been great :)

#22 ·
Just got my 14 done a week ago. Huge difference!
At first the service guy was reluctant. He test drove it at 55.
When I made it clear that I usually drive 75 on the freeway, he approved it.

Test drove a 16 this weekend and with the front windows down there is essentially no buffeting.
Somewhere here I read that there can be an issue with the rears, but I doubt it could be nearly as bad as the stock gen 1 cars.
Which are truly horrible.

#26 ·
I'm pretty sure they pieced together my kit as I got mirror caps identical to the originals. You might try different dealerships to see if they migh just do it for free. I got mine free, but I complained within 3 months of getting my car.

#33 ·
There's probably not a huge audience for this post, but just in case.

I want to thank everyone who posted all the information about this kit, especially the bulletin numbers. They have been absolutely invaluable for my quest, detailed below.

I bought a used *Holden* Volt (i.e. the Australian version of the Chevy Volt). Holden's support for the Volt has been nothing short of pathetic. Only one dealership in a 100km radius of Melbourne even services Volts, and they had no idea whatsoever about this bulletin, they certainly wouldn't replace it under warranty, nor could they get the part in for me, nor could they tell me whether the part would fit if I imported it myself. (Fun fact: Holden did such a pathetic job advertising the Volt here that they sold a grand total of 243 units of the 2012 and 2013 models in all of Australia, before discontinuing sales altogether.) (Our government didn't help, as we have zero tax or HOV lane incentives for EVs.)

At any rate, I took the leap and bought the kit on a trip to the US, and had a local body shop paint and install the mirrors. They worked! Pics below. (Notice the Holden logo on the front!) (*Edit:* this is my first post and the board won't let me add pics. Maybe I'll be able to include them in the next post.) I expect that this is the only Holden Volt in existence with the kit installed, but maybe it will inspire some other Australian Volt owner (*waves*) to take the same leap.

The buffeting reduction is simply unbelievable. I highly recommend this modification to any person with a Gen1 Volt.

So, for easy reference, the GM bulletin is Pi0642C, and the part number is 22778043. I bought it from GMPartsDirect, but other online retailers have it.

Thank you all again!

#35 ·
Thanks for the pics! the Holden is no different from the Volt in this respect. The badge is different and t has right hand drive. Other than that and perhaps the rear lights, I think everything is the same. So the kit working does not surprise me.

Yes, too bad about Holden and it's limited sales and support for the car.

#36 ·
Belated welcome, jni, just stumbled upon your posts. Nice colour, not too many of those around.

I'm from Melbourne, but presently in Queensland.
On my return I should look you up.
Volt parties are rare in Australia.

#37 ·
I liked that colour as well but the local one for sale was $26,000 Cdn for basic no options and wouldn't budge. My next choice was white and there was a basic no options for $21,000 and would only go down to $18,000 Cdn. I "settled" for a silver one, basic with Bose for $16,000 Cdn. Still wish I could have got the red though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.