GM Volt Forum banner

Coil Pack rubber melted into the spark plugs (Spark Plug Wires Melted)

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  subdewd 
#1 ·
Hello I'm new to this forum. I'm also one of the few drivers that has managed to rack up 100K on her Volt. I just went to the dealer on President's day and I was told they had never seen anything like this before and that it is something that could potentially be seen with drivers as they increased their mileage on their volt. Has anybody with a high mileage in their volt been told by a dealer or mechanic that their spark plug wires have melted? The exact words from the dealer were, " your coil pack rubber has melted into the spark plug." I never received any notifications from vehicle that the car was over heating, so I had no way of knowing this. Anybody else with a similar experience? Thanks.

#4 ·
Why did you take the car to the dealer? What I am getting at, is it something they noticed during a routine inspection, or was the car not running right?

Something would have to be terribly wrong with the car for it to melt the plug wires. Either the head got physically hot from a problem like leaky head gasket, but you would see a temp warning in the car for this. Maybe plug wire got super hot from drawing too much current? Improper spark plug gap or something? Photos would be helpful.

100k is not really high miles, and I don't think this is a normal problem, seems like a specific issue from something else being wrong.

Eric

#5 ·
Something is really wrong there! Silicone rubber is good up to a bit over 500 f, if my memory is working.

#11 ·
I'd sure like Amber from Customer Service who reads these posts to jump in, contact the dealer and help the OP with this highly suspect problem. The cynic in me says that the dealer is snowing the OP for money. Amber???....

#12 · (Edited)
I had it happen to a 1998 MB c230 I changed the origonal plugs on earlier this year. I wouldn't
Say melted but fused and tore when removing.
I also just chenged the plugs on my volt with 97k and the boots pulled off with ease.
They are normally a $5 item or so and are sometimes just routinely replaced or so I have been told.
Provided they were actually replaced and cost undr $10 I wouldn't be overly suspect.
And I am extremly paranoid of these things

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.