DYI: Auto-dimming Mirror w/ HomeLink + Compass Installation
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: DYI: Auto-dimming Mirror w/ HomeLink + Compass Installation

Default DIY: Auto-dimming Mirror w/ HomeLink + Compass Installation

Hi all,

I came across a fairly cheap HomeLink mirror for <$70 shipped on eBay so I decided to take the plunge.

Here's the result:

Note: The photos below are for my LTZ model. LT wiring is different so please take note. Thereís a good chance the wiring exists itís just a matter of finding it.

Tools used:
    • Torx Driver #20 9/16" Drill Bit - to remove and install mirror
    • Small flathead screwdriver - to separate harness from mirror
    • Soldering Iron - to build harness (wiring taps would be fine too)

Materials used:
    • Gentex 1124 (GNTX-1124) - Found a used one on eBay for $69 shipped. This one came off a Hyundai Elantra. I noticed there's a lot of different models and confusion around model numbers out on eBay so do a little homework before buying.
    • Wiring connector from OEM Mirror - I wanted to leave my car intact and didn't want to buy an adapter
    • Heat shrink tubing - I like my wiring to be clean
    • Cloth tape - to keep the modified harness clean and prevent any noise
    • (optional) 12v power supply - to confirm the wiring
    • (optional) voltage meter - to test wiring

Steps:
    1. Carefully remove overhead cover to access the mirror mount and wiring harness.

This is a two piece cover and requires that second piece to be removed first so you can separate the entire cover.

2. Unscrew the mirror so you can remove it.

Right behind the mirror there's a screw that keeps it in place. Use a Torx driver and loosen it.

3. Remove OEM mirror from mount

Separate the harness by using a small screw driver to push down on a tab that keeps it together. After that the mirror should slide right out and youíll be left with this:

4. Prepare OEM mirror for surgery

Note: I opted to have a clean plug and play install at the expense of my OEM mirror. Instead of buying a separate harness I just clipped it off the mirror. Others have purchased harnesses for off of eBay instead. Either way, I wanted to test and verify the wiring for myself since I didn't want to risk damage to my car. There are two wires that go into the OEM mirror that are left unconnected. I did not test those since the car doesn't use it and I was getting rid of the mirror.

Volt side harness wiring:
      • grey w/ black stripe = ground
      • red = switched ignition (+12v)
      • green = reverse indicator (+12v)

5. Build harness for new mirror

The mirror I had came with what I believe is a Hyundai compatible plug. I reversed engineer the wires using a external power supply. If you want your HomeLink to be always on or if you have an LT model youíll need to tap into the power a different way. There's great information in Teksavy's HomeLink Installation

Gentex 1124 mirror wiring:
      • black = ground
      • green = HomeLink power (+12v)
      • pink-ish white = compass power (+12v)
      • grey = auto-dim disable (+12v)

I wired both HomeLink power (green) and compass power (pink-ish white) to the switched ignition (red) and the auto-dim disable (grey) to the reverse indicator (green). Hereís my completed harness after I soldered the wires and insulated the wires with heat shrink tubing:

6. Put it all back together

At this point youíre done. Slide the wedge back on, secure the mirror with the Torx Screw, connect the harness and put back the plastic covers. I also used some cloth tape and a foam tape to keep everything somewhat snug so nothing would move around. This is a shot of me testing to see where to secure it:

Thatís really all there is to it. Turn on your car and watch the magic of your work come to life. Donít forget to program your HomeLink and calibrate your compass afterwards. Many thanks to Teksavy and others in the first Volt 2016 documented HomeLink Installation and for the inspiration to go this route.
    Last edited by CalBear; 02-20-2016 at 02:12 AM. Reason: for clarification

Great writeup! I love a good DIY HowTo.
    2013 Tesla Model S 85
    2014 Chevy Volt to be replaced by a 2017 Tesla Model 3
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Great job!

Wish GM offered this as an option or on the Premier as standard. I know we get spoiled as to all the extras and gadgets, but HomeLink has become rather standard-issue on cars at this pricepoint - especially the top-tier. I can see many who wouldn't want to attempt this process for fears of various kinds - say overheating or incompatible connections. I don't solder well, so that's my hiccup. I like the option of using the adapter, but as you say, it's untested.

At risk of asking a dumb question, the grey wire says auto-dim disconnect. Is that the wire that makes auto-dim work? And don't disconnect that right? The auto-dim feature still works, I'm assuming.

Thanks for doing this and such a great job taking very clear pics of the whole process.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

My post vanished. So here goes again.

Great job! Thanks for doing this and the great, clear pics of the entire procedure!

I wish GM offered Homelink on the LTZ Premium, at least as an option. I know we all expect so many fancy features on today's cars, and yet this is a pretty standard option on many cars at this price level. I also miss the turn signals in the mirrors. I like gimmicks like ambient blue lighting, and of course, the NIFTY cellphone cooler/wireless charger. I would trade the ambient lighting for Homelink or turn signals ( safety ) in the outside mirrors in a New York second.

At risk of asking a dumb question, it states the grey wire is auto-dim disable? This doesn't mean it disables auto-dim, right? I don't solder well, so that is my hiccup on doing this myself. I like how you mention people are using an adapter, but don't like that it's not proven - so I would hesitate to do that until we know it's safe.

Again, thanks for this post! Very well done!

What options does the standard mirror come with in the Volt? Compass or dimming?
    2017 Premier Kinetic Blue Metallic Volt Confidence Package I & II
    VoltStats Link: Hidden Content
    Ordered 1/2/16 TPW 3/14/16 Arrived to dealer 3/24/16
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    My post vanished. So here goes again.

Great job! Thanks for doing this and the great, clear pics of the entire procedure!

I wish GM offered Homelink on the LTZ Premium, at least as an option. I know we all expect so many fancy features on today's cars, and yet this is a pretty standard option on many cars at this price level. I also miss the turn signals in the mirrors. I like gimmicks like ambient blue lighting, and of course, the NIFTY cellphone cooler/wireless charger. I would trade the ambient lighting for Homelink or turn signals ( safety ) in the outside mirrors in a New York second.

At risk of asking a dumb question, it states the grey wire is auto-dim disable? This doesn't mean it disables auto-dim, right? I don't solder well, so that is my hiccup on doing this myself. I like how you mention people are using an adapter, but don't like that it's not proven - so I would hesitate to do that until we know it's safe.

Again, thanks for this post! Very well done!
    You are welcome. I know how important is to people so I'm glad to share. Especially since it is not that hard and fairly cheap.

Regarding soldering - that is completely unnecessary and bordering on overkill. I just wanted a full OEM look. Wire taps are likely what most people should do.

Adapters - this is okay too. It's safe. I ended up getting a mirror with a non-standard connector so I didn't want to try and get a specialized part. Also, nobody had mentioned compass yet so I wanted to test it out and ended up stripping wire to do that anyway. The only caveat is that you should disconnect your battery when wire tapping into live wires just in case. With my method I can do all the electrical work at home and just plug it all in.

About the grey wire. Many auto dim mirrors disable the function when reversing to give you maximum visibility. The way that is done is by connecting to the reverse indicator. Under normal conditions that signal is grounded and allows the auto dim to do what it does. Hope that clears things up.
    Last edited by CalBear; 02-18-2016 at 03:37 PM. Reason: more clarification

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman142000 View Post
    What options does the standard mirror come with in the Volt? Compass or dimming?
    I think LT is just a mirror. LTZ has just auto dimming.

There is a compass heading display within the info menu when the large, centered speed readout is selected. I am guessing that this is available on all Gen 2's.

Great job and thanks for posting this. I was looking for a way to add home link and this may be it.
    2017 Gen II LTZ, iridescent pearl tricoat white

12. Advertisement

Thanks CalBear for this write up. I was able to get my Gentex 536 homelink w/compass installed yesterday. Purchased used on ebay for $76 dollars.
    Attached Images
    2016 Volt, Kinetic Blue with Nav, Safety package 1&2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text