GM Volt Forum banner

Chime Volume

36K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  marnimople 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got a new Volt

Something i've noticed thats become somewhat of an annoyance is how loud the door chime is, compared to Gen 1. I went into the settings
to see if there was a volume control and there was and I was like yes! and I go to it and see that its turned all the way down :mad:

But it can be turned up even louder! which is not what I want.

Is there a way it could be turned down or even disabled? It really is not needed at all. Also when the car turns on the beginning chime is loud and sort of hurts my ears.

Loving Gen 2 though!

#4 ·
also on Gen1 we can adjust the volume of most sounds by turning the volume know while the sound is underway. I have no idea about trying this on a gen 2, but it is worth a try. By the way, I tried this one time on the startup "electronic vacuum rising" sound and it can get painfully loud if you wish- I was stunned.....

#6 ·
Anyone have any further info on this? I've contacted the dealer as well. They are saying the only chime control they are aware of is the on in settings. Which is already all the way down. If I leave the door open while the chime is occurring and turn try to adjust the chime volume in the menu it doesn't seem to make a difference. At least live.

#7 ·
Lets add the signal volume to the request as well. If you are sitting in a quiet car with the radio off then you get used to the quiet and using your signal is disturbing. If they have speed compensated volume on the radio, how about cabin noise sensitive chimes. The car has a mic, they could use it.

#13 ·
I find the turn signal sound to be annoyingly loud, and I've turned to volume to minimum in the menu. Since it seems to be coming from the left dash speaker I'm going to try putting a mouse pad or one of those jar gripper rubber sheets over that speaker. It doesn't seem that speaker contributes a lot to music anyway.

#15 ·
I agree. The chime wouldn't bother me if it was about 1/3 as loud as it is. Right now, it's obnoxious. I'd like to register an official complaint against that asinine triple-beep horn function as well. There doesn't seem to be any logic to its occurrence pattern at all.

#17 ·
Love my 2017 Volt, but chime volume super annoyingly loud. I do not hear any change with the chime volume control from min to max. I think it's a software bug. Thanks Geert Aerts mouse pad over the speaker is helping! The triple horn alert when I leave fob in car to grab mail can be turned off! Dr. Manhattan

#19 ·
How funny that you thought of the mouse pad. I bought my car, drove it off the lot, and within ten blocks realized i'd never test driven it with the turn signals on (how did I go around the block and not notice how loud the turn signal is?) and grumbling (beautiful car now annoying at every turn) thought gee, maybe a mouse pad on the front left speaker....

Glad it worked! In my case I've just adjusted, like when you get a new crown at the dentist and at first it's too high, feel it with every bite, but then things shift around and you never notice it again.

But if it does start to bother me, I know to reach for the mouse pad.

#21 ·
These sounds also have practical effects. For instance, our toddler is a very light sleeper and every nap in the car is a miracle to be treasured. While the turn signal doesn't seem waken him (though I always fear it will), the door bonging if one of us gets out sometimes does, as does the triple-honk. I'm glad to hear the triple-honk can be disabled (not that that circumstance arises very often), but the door beeps are not just annoying but actively problematic for us. Ah well.

#22 · (Edited)
These sounds also have practical effects. For instance, our toddler is a very light sleeper and every nap in the car is a miracle to be treasured. While the turn signal doesn't seem waken him (though I always fear it will), the door bonging if one of us gets out sometimes does, as does the triple-honk. I'm glad to hear the triple-honk can be disabled (not that that circumstance arises very often), but the door beeps are not just annoying but actively problematic for us. Ah well.
Flyingchanges33 says the triple honk can be disabled? Unfortunately, not true. I've tried everything. In fact, the only obnoxious sound that can be disabled is the "Ta Da" sound at initial start up...which is the only one controlled by the "Chime Volume" setting in the menu. As for the rest, you're on your own. I did succeed in killing my external "pedestrian warning" noise by pulling a fuse under the rear storage area. They really went noise nuts when they spec'd out this car, and the new Malibu Hybrid isn't much better.

#25 ·
Page 143 of the manual:

Audio Cue Volume
This feature sets the volume of
audio files played at system startup
and shutdown.
Select On, then select + or − to
increase or decrease the volume.

#29 ·
I definitely thought all the noises (chime, turn signal, etc) were way too loud and annoying when I first got the car. Now, a thousand miles and change later, I guess I've gotten used to them. They no longer bother me. It's still quite silly that minimum volume on something is so loud.

Keith

#32 ·
Also when the car turns on the beginning chime is loud and sort of hurts my ears.!
Are you referring to the power up sound effect or the triple bong chime? If the former, that can be adjusted or disabled as others have mentioned. If the latter, I think that's actually the seat belt chime. It doesn't seem to happen if I buckle before I turn the car on. (My habit from my previous car was to start the engine and then fasten my seatbelt.)

#37 ·
I tweeted about a Cadillac TV commercial, and mentioned the chime volume. They asked me to DM them.

Also, I can't get used to the chime volume. At first, I didn't pay much attention, but now it frigging hurts. It's not just annoying. It's physically painful. I feel entitled to not be physically assaulted by my own car.

The stupid horn honk is annoying. I had limited success in disabling the 'remote left in vehicle' alert, but it still sometimes honked. I"m not referring to when the car is powered on. I'm talking when it's off, also.

Anyhoo, here is the tweet thread, in case anybody wants to gang up on them:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.